I don't understand some hearie people *sigh*

Stargazer Lilies

Reaction score
I dont understand why some hearie don't even try to communicate with me through VRS, when they don't want to do or can't do IM or email.

I am trying to be flexible. What are they afraid of? Lack of privacy? Time-consuming? The accents of interpreters, thus not understanding?

I explained to them ahead of the time what to expect with VRS and just to give it a try. They still won't.

I don't understand them. :confused:

Maybe they need go deaf to appreciates it(not experiencing being left out communication-wise) and be more empathic.

where you live country? you don't know aware vrs limit VRS?

you are deaf or hoh?

If they don't want to do IM, email , or VRS, maybe they just don't want to talk to you at all.

In that case, you are better off changing your circle of friends.

If they don't want to do IM, email , or VRS, maybe they just don't want to talk to you at all.

Yes, I suspected that is the case with some of them. However it doesn't explain other hearie friends who do communicate with me via email or instant messaging on regular basis, and on the days they couldn't do email or IM, I offered to chat on phone through VRS. They don't even try.

Some of other hearie are relatives. It feels hurt to be left out by family relatives. In person, the relatives, including my own father, have told me it is "too much work" even with writing/typing back and forth on paper at the family gatherings.

They wanted me to be happy in silence, accept things as is, and that I am intolerant of them not be able to communicate with me. I told them, "no you are intolerant of my deafness because you are refuses to be flexible and considerate".

Aside from relatives, my father do not sign nor communicate with me on paper. He forces me to lipreading him all the time. I also asked my father try to imagine and walk in my shoe a bit often during the past of 30+ years of my life. His reply each time was "No, I will not try. It is your problem. Not mine".

The cruel irony is that my father always tell me I should be lawyer advocating other deaf people regards communication barriers. I told him "I'd have to fight people like you. You are part of problem".

I am sorry. It's unfortunate we don't get to choose our relatives.

Yes, I suspected that is the case with some of them. However it doesn't explain other hearie friends who do communicate with me via email or instant messaging on regular basis, and on the days they couldn't do email or IM, I offered to chat on phone through VRS. They don't even try.

Some of other hearie are relatives. It feels hurt to be left out by family relatives. In person, the relatives, including my own father, have told me it is "too much work" even with writing/typing back and forth on paper at the family gatherings.

They wanted me to be happy in silence, accept things as is, and that I am intolerant of them not be able to communicate with me. I told them, "no you are intolerant of my deafness because you are refuses to be flexible and considerate".

Aside from relatives, my father do not sign nor communicate with me on paper. He forces me to lipreading him all the time. I also asked my father try to imagine and walk in my shoe a bit often during the past of 30+ years of my life. His reply each time was "No, I will not try. It is your problem. Not mine".

The cruel irony is that my father always tell me I should be lawyer advocating other deaf people regards communication barriers. I told him "I'd have to fight people like you. You are part of problem".
Wow, I am sorry that even your family does that to you. I am thankful that my family will communicate with me any way. Sometimes I use Relay, and sometimes I use sprintcaptel.com

They probably think it's weird to talk to someone through something called purple. What is that? Talk to a deaf person using color to help faciliate communication?

I feel for you. No one in my own family would resort to something like this. That must really hurt!!!

I'm sure they've a good English useage. If they don't want to use text or messenger, what make you think they will want to use VP?

How would they use VRS? Is it like voice carry over were the person talks and the caller can hear the voice while someone is signing for them?

That is very sad. :(

I really don't understand some family attitudes.

If they don't want to, then just ignore them and find new one who you can be comfortable to have company.

I am sorry. It's unfortunate we don't get to choose our relatives.

so true.....my mother made no attempt to talk with me it hurtful but you have to accept there are ignorent people and own family the worse..live your life find circle of friends who are understanding.
we all entitled to a pity party but dont have them to often,have a vent then onwards and upwards

I cant believe that your father said that your deafness is your problem. That's sad.

Well, call them up using Purple VRS and keep calling them until they finally accept the call. Annoy the crap out of them. :)

My own brother would not take my calls because he said he didn't "want to talk to a machine"....and even my sister calls and says "call me"...and when I do, she hangs up, thinking it's somebody trying to sell something or wanting a donation.....:lol:....so I do email....

And realize it's hard to understand and forgive your own family for their lack of understanding and compassion since you are Deaf.....Now, I just ignore it and go on about my own business...made my "own family"....And that means that my family that I've made has no qualms about calling me via the Relay or emailing me.

My own brother would not take my calls because he said he didn't "want to talk to a machine"....and even my sister calls and says "call me"...and when I do, she hangs up, thinking it's somebody trying to sell something or wanting a donation.....:lol:....so I do email....

And realize it's hard to understand and forgive your own family for their lack of understanding and compassion since you are Deaf.....Now, I just ignore it and go on about my own business...made my "own family"....And that means that my family that I've made has no qualms about calling me via the Relay or emailing me.

i absolutely understand that!, i , for one, if i even meet a lady and made a faimily, married or legal or not, I would make sure my own 'family' cals me by text or email and none of the 'lazy bullshit excuses'

I dont understand why some hearie don't even try to communicate with me through VRS, when they don't want to do or can't do IM or email.

I am trying to be flexible. What are they afraid of? Lack of privacy? Time-consuming? The accents of interpreters, thus not understanding?

I explained to them ahead of the time what to expect with VRS and just to give it a try. They still won't.

Maybe they need go deaf to appreciates it(not experiencing being left out communication-wise) and be more empathic.

yup totally get ya

I get that all the time from family and I also get business/hospitals hanging up from me all the time as they think its spam. I pretty much find it useless to use as people do not have any knowledge of it or can't be bothered so just hang up.

I find I have to do things in person, email or post which is annoying as people at the hospital won't accept anything else other then phone.

Probably just intimidated... I am still new to ASL, so Deaf people signing intimidates me lol.

Back