Hydrogen bomb nearly detonated over North Carolina in 1961

why would routine flight over east coast need bomb.idiots then as is now be worried if still doing it

I have not read anything about being close call from the atomic or hydrogen bomb that accidently fell in the field. Yes, it does happen when there were report on other sites years ago. You never know it could happen again any time whether it will detonate here or over other countries like Russia or North Korea, even China. Anyone could accidently switch the button to start detonated, even on airplanes. People in the military have to be careful of what they were doing especially scientists. Making the bombs were very devasting (spelling) and nerve wrecking. Nobody like doing this, if threaten. I hate bombs like that. I had wondered why scientists have the nerve to make atomic bombs like that. :Ohno:

I have not read anything about being close call from the atomic or hydrogen bomb that accidently fell in the field. Yes, it does happen when there were report on other sites years ago. You never know it could happen again any time whether it will detonate here or over other countries like Russia or North Korea, even China. Anyone could accidently switch the button to start detonated, even on airplanes. People in the military have to be careful of what they were doing especially scientists. Making the bombs were very devasting (spelling) and nerve wrecking. Nobody like doing this, if threaten. I hate bombs like that. I had wondered why scientists have the nerve to make atomic bombs like that. :Ohno:

I don't think a hydrogen bomb is a nuclear bomb. An atom bomb is, though. I could be wrong. The bombs that have nukes today are under heavy guard, and not easily accessible.

This is old news. I don't understand what is new about the three-switch failure. That's been common knowledge for a long time.

Of course, never can be too cautious with nuclear devices.

I don't think a hydrogen bomb is a nuclear bomb. An atom bomb is, though. I could be wrong. The bombs that have nukes today are under heavy guard, and not easily accessible.
You might to do a little more research.

yes you're wrong. hydrogen bomb is a nuclear bomb because it uses uranium. hydrogen bomb is not a water bomb if that's what you're thinking :lol:

both atomic bomb and hydrogen bomb are nuclear weapons. both bombs have nuclear reactions inside to set it off.

This particular one happened in 1961. There have been other accidents, including losing nukes in the ocean.

It takes more than one button to launch or activate a nuclear weapon.

This particular one happened in 1961. There have been other accidents, including losing nukes in the ocean.

It takes more than one button to launch or activate a nuclear weapon.

True, up to a point. This incident happened during the middle of the Cold War (don't worry, I am sure you know that, hah) and shortly before the Cuban Missile Crisis. During the latter, my father was a navigator and bombardier of a B-52 and they were out of radio contact a great deal of the time. They flew with bomb bay doors open and were issued amphetamines to stay awake, in which time the crew started to hallucinate. They had the means to drop the bomb.
We got lucky.

True, up to a point. This incident happened during the middle of the Cold War (don't worry, I am sure you know that, hah) and shortly before the Cuban Missile Crisis. During the latter, my father was a navigator and bombardier of a B-52 and they were out of radio contact a great deal of the time. They flew with bomb bay doors open and were issued amphetamines to stay awake, in which time the crew started to hallucinate. They had the means to drop the bomb.
We got lucky.
Oh yes, I remember the Cold War. :)

I remember the Cuban Missile Crisis, too.

I read about the pilots and amphetamines before. Not a good plan, for sure.

Interesting how your dad was involved. My dad (civilian contractor at the time) was involved in the "sweeping up" of the crisis, with a "quiet" trip to Cuba after it was over.

So, did your dad ever relate to Slim Pickins in Dr. Strangelove? :giggle:

Oh yes, I remember the Cold War. :)

I remember the Cuban Missile Crisis, too.

I read about the pilots and amphetamines before. Not a good plan, for sure.

Interesting how your dad was involved. My dad (civilian contractor at the time) was involved in the "sweeping up" of the crisis, with a "quiet" trip to Cuba after it was over.

So, did your dad ever relate to Slim Pickins in Dr. Strangelove? :giggle:

Beats me. All I know is that his nickname was "Guthead." :lol:

yes you're wrong. hydrogen bomb is a nuclear bomb because it uses uranium. hydrogen bomb is not a water bomb if that's what you're thinking :lol:

both atomic bomb and hydrogen bomb are nuclear weapons. both bombs have nuclear reactions inside to set it off.

Water balloon bombs! LOL!!

Around 1980 or 81', I was looking out my open office window at the former Charleston Naval Base toward the ships tied up across from the parking lot. All of a sudden watching 2 sailors doing maintenance on a missile launcher, they caused a boo-boo. One of the missiles slid out the rear of the launcher and half landed on the ship's deck. Nothing happened or I wouldn't be telling you this. Continuing to watch, I then heard the sirens of the response teams...

Nuclear? Conventional? Practice, nope, wrong color. You never know what or when.

Back