How are people dealing with the Heat WAVE!??

whatdidyousay!

Reaction score
Heat Wave In Central U.S. Shows No Signs Of Ending

I was wondering if anything lives in central USA and how they're doing with
heat wave. It's really hot in my state , Massachusetts and I and carrying a fan around with me! I wish I had an A/C in my computer room too!
Be sure to drink a lot of water ! Marty is having a real hard time with heath issues! I took him of one of his meds as it was giving him the runs and the other meds made him really thirsty!

It's horrible. The heat index here will be 116 today. I have two fans blowing the cool air back at us in our living room from the window AC.

I have several bowls of water down for the dogs about the house as they are drinking an unbelievable amount.

Luckily my husband has good air conditioning at work. We have decided to skip as much of grocery shopping as we can this week and just live on what is in the house so we don't get heat stroke just carrying things in.

The last time there was a heat wave this bad in Iowa was 1988, and I am glad to say I didn't live here at that time and missed it.

It's horrible. The heat index here will be 116 today. I have two fans blowing the cool air back at us in our living room from the window AC.

I have several bowls of water down for the dogs about the house as they are drinking an unbelievable amount.

Luckily my husband has good air conditioning at work. We have decided to skip as much of grocery shopping as we can this week and just live on what is in the house so we don't get heat stroke just carrying things in.

The last time there was a heat wave this bad in Iowa was 1988, and I am glad to say I didn't live here at that time and missed it.

Very bad here too. Heat index of 110 expected today, and air quality warning out. Staying inside as much as possible, and if it is something I need to get out for, am trying to do it in the evening as much as possible. I have started offering evening appts to my clients until it lets up a bit so they can come when it is cooler. Many are on medications that do not mix with the heat.

yesterday we had heat advisories/warnings and also for today and much of the week - 90+ temps. with heat index 100-105.
We have central air, as do my folks and most people I know. I personally don't have much trouble in heat and was out doing errands and doing typical household chores including picking up dog poop outside, much of the weekend.
Tonight is dog class on the second floor of the training building; the air doesn't work so well up there, it seems like, but maybe they'll work on it today. I'll still go and probably bring extra water.
I'm gonna go work out and do my usual things...
we've had a lotta water play outside with the dogs/hose such as was in the pictures I posted recently and my dogs also do ok with the heat given reasonable expectations on my part.

hubby was gonna mow lawn yesterday but decided not to with the heat though-

:wave:oh, Jillio and Botti, those are much higher heat index numbers than here!
am glad you guys are ok and taking care:)

my dogs naturally get a lot of moisture in their food the way it is since it is raw meat, but I have added an extra bowl of water on the floor for when they come in from outside.
generally, they do not drink much out of the water dish.

Illinois here. I'm chilly. A/C has not been more than one week total since last summer. Oh, I know why. My house is insulated!

I just mowed my grass and my friend's too. I didn't break out a sweat. I love having breeze from riding lawn mower! :D

I would dies in 116 heat!! Are you keeping all of your window shades down to keep the hot sun out! I am ! I took Marty for a very short walk and he is wiped out! Poor little doggie! Stay cool Botti and everyone ! I just hope we'll not lose our power from an overload!

aww, Hope all of you stay cool.

it is too humid here. But it's only 73 degrees as of right now. It is raining, its pouring. It is suppose to go up to 90 degrees in the afternoon. I will see about it.

I would dies in 116 heat!! Are you keeping all of your window shades down to keep the hot sun out! I am ! I took Marty for a very short walk and he is wiped out! Poor little doggie! Stay cool Botti and everyone ! I just hope we'll not lose our power from an overload!

We are keeping it pretty closed up. And our dogs act very reluctant to go out to our backyard. They hate this heat.

The power went out here in the night for three hours last week and it was really uncomfortable. It could be a disaster if it does in this heat.

Our house is insulated too, Google. All the walls and the attic. Very thorough job.

So it may have more to do with your location actually.

It's really hot here too! My softball coach cancelled batting practice because even in her airconditioned house, she found it too hot. I live on the third floor, no AC and spent most of the time on my tree- shaded balcony, grateful for the breeze and also that batting practice got cancelled. I get bad head rushes (each time standing up, everything going black before my eyes and making me feel woozy for a few seconds before it clears) when it's very very hot.

p.s. soaking your feet in a cool tub of water works wonders!

It's like mother nature had the oven on pre-heat and will be at maximum heat for rest of the week.

IT is almost like Hell around here. It already hit 91 degrees at 10:30 am with heat index of 101 and should reach 96 degrees with heat index of 111 to 116 for today. We are gonna go to the mall and go to grandmas house for today. Our home window A/C works but struggling due to the high humidity rate.

I think they also have "cooling centers" open here and some of the pools are open later than usual, since many people do not have household air conditoning.

actually when it's this warm, then I can actually wear shorts - though I don't need to - when I'm doing errands. Usually, I'm too cold in the stores in the Summer so I don't wear shorts. Yesterday I was wearing jeans, though I later did change into cooler long pants - scrubs, actually, for the shelter.
But my habit is also to wear jeans or pants since I'm working with the dogs so much.

Deaf Caroline, be careful, keep staying cool!

Bott, hope you don't have any more power outages! I can see that'd be miserable when it's like this!

It's really hot here too! My softball coach cancelled batting practice because even in her airconditioned house, she found it too hot. I live on the third floor, no AC and spent most of the time on my tree- shaded balcony, grateful for the breeze and also that batting practice got cancelled. I get bad head rushes (each time standing up, everything going black before my eyes and making me feel woozy for a few seconds before it clears) when it's very very hot.

p.s. soaking your feet in a cool tub of water works wonders!

I find putting cold water under my armpits help too! I was told by a fireman to put a cold washcloth on your dog chest to cool them off. It just got dark here , I think mr might get some rain! We're getting an ocean breeze, I live close to the ocean but the greenheads are out and those suckers bites like hell!
Can't you have a A/C on the third floor?

People should try to check up their elderly neighbors if they live alone and make sure they do enough bottled water if that what they drink.

I hope the heatwave lets up. I don't like hearing about people being miserable from the heat. I understand heat. I live in Texas which is normally a never ending heatwave after another but, it seems all the heat is concentrated on the mid upper states.

I think they also have "cooling centers" open here and some of the pools are open later than usual, since many people do not have household air conditoning.

actually when it's this warm, then I can actually wear shorts - though I don't need to - when I'm doing errands. Usually, I'm too cold in the stores in the Summer so I don't wear shorts. Yesterday I was wearing jeans, though I later did change into cooler long pants - scrubs, actually, for the shelter.
But my habit is also to wear jeans or pants since I'm working with the dogs so much.

Deaf Caroline, be careful, keep staying cool!

Bott, hope you don't have any more power outages! I can see that'd be miserable when it's like this!

I am not sure if my state pools are open again , after a woman's body was in a state pool for 2 days before anyone knew it all the pools where shut down!

Speaking of the horrid HEAT...our A/C went out last night around 8PM....and I'm still awaiting on the A/C technician to get here....so I'm guessing I'm one of thousands that are having A/C problems.....

But, we are lucky....the breeze off the river is helping tremendously...we opened our windows and got the breeze all night, plus have several fans running....it's still breezy today and so far it's bearable....hoping the A/C technician will be here shortly....

I find putting cold water under my armpits help too! I was told by a fireman to put a cold washcloth on your dog chest to cool them off. It just got dark here , I think mr might get some rain! We're getting an ocean breeze, I live close to the ocean but the greenheads are out and those suckers bites like hell!
Can't you have a A/C on the third floor?

People should try to check up their elderly neighbors if they live alone and make sure they do enough bottled water if that what they drink.

I am actually coping ok with the heat, despite the headrushes, because I've acclimatized to it by now and I don't like airconditioning, never have. But I do see how important it is for many who are being badly affected by the heat. And you have a point about senior citizens - every summer we would read about seniors who died from heat stroke, it's really terrible. It's a good idea to check up on them.

Back