Hi, I'm a relay operator and I'm new here.

if a person is seriously doing phone sex via the TRS, you are obliged to relay such words, are you not?

Yup yup. There are legitimate sex calls, actually. We have set criteria to identify which sex calls are legitimate (of course, I can't disclose that for confidentiality reasons) but we make sure we don't discriminate calls from legitimate users. :P

Yup yup. There are legitimate sex calls, actually. We have set criteria to identify which sex calls are legitimate (of course, I can't disclose that for confidentiality reasons) but we make sure we don't discriminate calls from legitimate users. :P
Fair enough, I trust your words. People always have the right of way to contact to have sex calls, either way.

Fair enough, I trust your words. People always have the right of way to contact to have sex calls, either way.

Yup.. and when sex calls are legit, we don't feel abused or anything.. because they don't have the intention of making the relay operator sound stupid or something.

Yup.. and when sex calls are legit, we don't feel abused or anything.. because they don't have the intention of making the relay operator sound stupid or something.
Fair enough - being a relay officer, have you been in an uncomfortable situation, have you not?

I bet VRS would be easier. Unfortunately for me, I don't know much sign language so I can't be a video relay interpreter. :P

Oh I never thought that one. Actually, I don't have any complain about my TTY, and even it is a good thing no one sees my pajamas on the relay. ;)

I mean, as a relay officer - have you felt uncomfortable relaying the personell's words if you feel not right to relay towards to the reciever?

Oh, yeah.. sometimes. Like when the deaf person suddenly says bad/mean words towards a very friendly called party.. It makes me feel uncomfortable. But it's part of the job so I just get used to it.

Oh I never thought that one. Actually, I don't have any complain about my TTY, and even it is a good thing no one sees my pajamas on the relay. ;)

Haha! Yeah, that's one advantage. Sometimes you just wanna make phone calls and not let the world see how you look like early in the morning. :lol:

There was an effort to register relay users. Unfortunately, the registration didn't help much because the FCC only asked for a few details such as a physical address and email. Fraudsters can easily provide that. There wasn't much effort on the FCC's part to double check these addresses and names first to verify that they do, in fact, exist. Lots of scammers have provided bogus addresses or something probably copied on Google and have gotten through with registering. Plus, in my opinion, I think the registration process would have been more effective if they asked every relay user to send in a proof of disability such as a note from the certified doctor or something. At least we're all able to make sure that every user is legitimate.

Yes, proof of the genuine need for the service was what I was meaning. People apparently already need to provide proof for some other public services such as service dogs etc. If you have a registered number it minimizes the abuse of bogus users then my hope is that the Relay services can be opened up for International use as well.

Ok, I have a question. Suppose a deaf person needs to call the police. The police come to the deaf person's home, but does not provide an interpreter. can the deaf person have the police officer then call him/her through a video relay service while in his/her home and use the relay service to interpret what the officer is saying?

@ Payton Sawyer: hey! yea. me too, i got sick when i was three and that was the end of most of my hearing. i have just enough to read lips and figure things out. but i do not have a relay guy.......dont know why.......so i txt and i dont do voicemail or anything that requires me or anyone else to day anything.........annoying but true....

what exactly is tty? i have it on my phone but i never can figure it out....help me please.

Yes, proof of the genuine need for the service was what I was meaning. People apparently already need to provide proof for some other public services such as service dogs etc. If you have a registered number it minimizes the abuse of bogus users then my hope is that the Relay services can be opened up for International use as well.

I hope the government moves to have this done as soon as possible. The scams aren't getting any fewer! Lots of people get scammed each day. It's really sad when we can't do anything about it and the government's not moving fast enough to eradicate them as well. :(

Ok, I have a question. Suppose a deaf person needs to call the police. The police come to the deaf person's home, but does not provide an interpreter. can the deaf person have the police officer then call him/her through a video relay service while in his/her home and use the relay service to interpret what the officer is saying?

I believe some people use pen and paper when there's no interpreter available. Of course, I wouldn't be too sure since I'm not actually deaf but that's what most of my deaf callers do.

@ Payton Sawyer: hey! yea. me too, i got sick when i was three and that was the end of most of my hearing. i have just enough to read lips and figure things out. but i do not have a relay guy.......dont know why.......so i txt and i dont do voicemail or anything that requires me or anyone else to day anything.........annoying but true....

So you don't use the relay service?

I heard that Western Union refused to accept the relay service.

Actually, a lot of towing companies, restaurants, newspapers, banks and yes, even Western union refuse to accept relay calls because everytime they do accept the call, it ends up being a scam. I swear, most of our calls are fraud calls. :( It makes it hard for real deaf people to use the service and have these businesses trust them.

Oh, yeah.. sometimes. Like when the deaf person suddenly says bad/mean words towards a very friendly called party.. It makes me feel uncomfortable. But it's part of the job so I just get used to it.

I don't blame you. you are just a messenger. If you weren't they would say that stuff to that person anyway.

Back