Hi, I'm a relay operator and I'm new here.

what exactly is tty? i have it on my phone but i never can figure it out....help me please.

TTY is a Teletypewriter. The old teletypewriters are invented back as early in 1930 in most of the newspaper offices or investment offices to give messages and informations about new stories or prices for the markets. I am not sure but I think the teletypewriter was invented by a deaf man. When the Deaf people bought the big monster (teletypewriter), it was soooo heavy and big that it is meant to stay in one place in the house. I used to type whenever I come to visit the Deaf people's home. I remembered that I felt the TTY that it is a lot of vibrations which mean it must be very loud. Now we have TDD which means Telephone Device for the Deaf and it is a small typewriter with a paper rolls or without a paper rolls. It is lightweight and you can move around with it whether at home or in public places like telephone booths. I still have my TDD. I used the relay service to communicate with hearing people like a third party line. Get it? :cool2:

Hi Peyton and welcome to Alldeaf.com, I have had my TTY for almost 15 years but use a feature that all incoming calls are automatically "taped" into Bell Canada Telemessage Service. I have a Vista phone which indicates all unanswered calls with a blinking red light. My TTY is UltraTec 1140. I just access the Relay Service telling them to phone Bell with my notation ALL telemarketing/political messages can be deleted WITHOUT KEYING ANYTHING. Their comment "smile" then delete. As I live in Toronto-the Relay service is in Kitchener and Quebec City. Thanks to their help when Bell Canada ran the service back then when I bought the phone- needed "lots of help" to get use it-which was supplied. I use Text-VCO.
Oddly enough when Bell sold/shifted the Relay a few years ago since I was quite used to the system and actually was thanked by the new operators when they came on-unsure about accessing TeleMessage service and whether I will leave a taped message if the other party's tape is accessed so they don't have to re dial. Still great friends of mine to this day.My Cochlear Implant doesn't work on the phone-can hear the dial tone but not people speaking thus continue using my TTY.

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

what exactly is tty? i have it on my phone but i never can figure it out....help me please.

Are you talking about a cell phone that has "TTY" - if so, it means that it is compatible with a portable TTY (you plug it into the headphone jack). You have to have a separate portable TTY though - you can't just set it to "TTY mode" and then place a call directly to another TTY user that way.

If you mean a landline phone - the only "dual phone/TTY" I know of is the Uniphone 1140. It is a single phone that is a "regular phone" (for hearing people), amplified phone (for Hoh & CI deaf) and a TTY (with VCO and HCO capabilities)

If you live in the USA - you are also able to use IP relay ... which is a relay service that allows you to go to any of the specific IP relay websites (ip relay, sprint, AT&T, Purple etc) and then on their site they will have a "place a relay call" button/link ... You are then able to place and outgoing text relay call from your computer (to a hearing person) on their secure website. Each of the IP Relay sites will have a "how to use IP Relay" demo that will walk you through how the system works. If you've never used the system before - when you connect to the relay operator , you can tell them that it's your first time using IP relay (or relay, period) and they will help you through the call.

If you live in Canada or the USA and have a computer with a decent internet connection, &/or have a smart phone blackberry, iPhone, etc) with Instant messaging programs (AIM,MSN or Yahoo) you can use Messenger Relay Service (MRS) - In the USA Messenger Relay Services are a component of IP relay (so the details for using the MRS service will be on the IP relay site ie: Sprint, IP Relay, i711, AT&T etc). In Canada the only Messenger Relay Service we have is via Rogers - so go to the Rogers.ca website then under "Special Needs" you'll find the details of the MRS service)
MRS allows you to contact a Relay Service though a few different instant messenger programs (AIM, MSN, Yahoo) . To get started - in the USA go to your preferred IP relay website and look under the IM relay section for the detail about adding them to your IM program of choice. In Canada, go to the Rogers.ca website for details (under special needs, then Relay/ Messenger Relay) ... once you have the various Relay ID/username/email info etc ... then you simply add that name/email to your IM contact/buddy list.

When you want to place a call - just click on that contact/buddy and then say "Hello" (when an operator is availabel they will prompt you for your contact info and then info of the caller you are wanting to call.
From there it basically works just like a traditional TTY relay call - except that the use of "GA" isn't technically needed (though it is helpful, so many of use still use it).

In case you're not familiar with how relay works ....
basically you just type what you want to say to the caller (hearing person who's cell/landline you asked to be connected to) and the relay operator will voice the text for you. To let the person on the other side (hearing person) a chance to speak or let them know you are waiting for them to say something/answer a question, you just type "GA" (short of go ahead - which is the "cue" that you're now waiting for them to say something).
When the hearing person responds the relay operator will then type whatever is said, and when the hearing person pauses (is waiting for you to respond they will type "ga" (go ahead, ie they are waiting for you to say something). This goes back and forth for the either conversation - With IM you can also see if the other person is typing ... so it's easier to avoid "Talking on top of each other", or one person "Stuck" and unable to interject if needed - which sometimes happens in TTY relay.
When you're finished with the call - you simply say your good-byes with the other person and then type "ga or SK" (which means "Go Ahead or stop keying" aka - do you have anything else to say or are you ready to "stop keying" and "hang up". If they're done you'll see "sk" or "sksk" (both of which mean "hanging up") to which you reply "sksk" which tells the relay operator that they should hang up.

It has it's "hiccups" but for the most part it works very well :)

There is also a video based Relay called "VRS" which uses a high speed internet connection either on your TV or directly on your computer - VRS is for people who prefer to use ASL (sign language) to communicate instead of typing in English. Because VRS uses Sign Language the relay operators are ASL/English interpreters - just like the skill of text based relay operators varies ... so does the quality of VRS interpreters (which is why many people pick the VRS company they find "best" for them and then use it almost exclusively)

If you want more info about the Uniphone (TTY and voice phone in one unit), Captel (VCO phone), here's the ULTRATEC website

For links to some IP & IM Relay services (USA ONLY) :
IP Relay
AT&T Relay Services
i711.com
Sprint Relay

For Canadian MRS info: Rogers.ca - Special Needs

Let us know if you have any other questions about anything about TTY, phones, relay services - but also things like special equipment that allows you to know when the phone/TTY is ringing, doorbell is being pushed, alarmclocks for Hoh/deaf etc ... we're happy to help!

Last edited:
Hi Peyton and welcome to Alldeaf.com, I have had my TTY for almost 15 years but use a feature that all incoming calls are automatically "taped" into Bell Canada Telemessage Service. I have a Vista phone which indicates all unanswered calls with a blinking red light. My TTY is UltraTec 1140. I just access the Relay Service telling them to phone Bell with my notation ALL telemarketing/political messages can be deleted WITHOUT KEYING ANYTHING. Their comment "smile" then delete. As I live in Toronto-the Relay service is in Kitchener and Quebec City. Thanks to their help when Bell Canada ran the service back then when I bought the phone- needed "lots of help" to get use it-which was supplied. I use Text-VCO.
Oddly enough when Bell sold/shifted the Relay a few years ago since I was quite used to the system and actually was thanked by the new operators when they came on-unsure about accessing TeleMessage service and whether I will leave a taped message if the other party's tape is accessed so they don't have to re dial. Still great friends of mine to this day.My Cochlear Implant doesn't work on the phone-can hear the dial tone but not people speaking thus continue using my TTY.

Regarding the Telemarketers - Anyone in Canada is able to be put on the "do not call list" - TTYs dedicated lines are automatically removed because they are a waste of the telemarketers time - and most telemarketers think they are fax lines (because of the sound TTY code makes).

Anyone with a Canadian phone/TTY number wanting to be added to Canada's "Do Not Call List" can go the website and be added

Anij: Yeah I am already on the "don't call list" but still have Relay service delete them when they call-anyways. With no response-they finally "get the hint"-DON'T CALL! Yeah having Bell Canada TeleMessage service is useful. Still no reason to alter what I am now doing. I have only one phone number. I set my TTY on voice all time and shift when I access the Relay service-easy press memo and than key V which shifts and tells the operator that I want to use VCO.They reply VCO activated GA.

Ok, I have a question. Suppose a deaf person needs to call the police. The police come to the deaf person's home, but does not provide an interpreter. can the deaf person have the police officer then call him/her through a video relay service while in his/her home and use the relay service to interpret what the officer is saying?

According to Sorensen, no. I guess you will have to use the reliable paper and pencil.

An old teletype writer machine would be "noisey" -however my Ultra Tec 1140 is very quiet-completely "electronic". It is 15 years old.

Speaking of TTYs. I haven't used mine in ages now that they have Nextalk on the computer. I make my "TDD" calls on the computer.

I plan on taking the loaned TDD to the state and get a Captel. (not sure what it's called) Captioned Telephone. Does anyone have any experience on it? Does it work well. I am deaf but I can speak and thought it would be great to use it on my family only because they are used to my speech. I can then read what they are saying when they talk to me.

Is it any good? Anyone know? Thanks!

By the way I use relay all the time. It's helpful but yeah I hate the idea of using 3rd party too but what else can we do.

"I hate the idea of using 3 rd party too"; Who do you think is keying back their conversation to you? The Relay operator! They would got "nuts" if they paid a great deal of attention to what to them is strange conversations! It is job to them! Valuable to us-though! Well MangaReader - I have had my TTY/VCO for almost 15 years and still use it even now having a Cochlear Implant which doesn't "pick up" voices just the dial tone. Deaf-like you- since Dec 20/06. Computers can send emails thus diminishes the use of telephones-reality now!

"I hate the idea of using 3 rd party too"; Who do you think is keying back their conversation to you? The Relay operator! They would got "nuts" if they paid a great deal of attention to what to them is strange conversations! It is job to them! Valuable to us-though! Well MangaReader - I have had my TTY/VCO for almost 15 years and still use it even now having a Cochlear Implant which doesn't "pick up" voices just the dial tone. Deaf-like you- since Dec 20/06. Computers can send emails thus diminishes the use of telephones-reality now!

Anij: Yeah I am already on the "don't call list" but still have Relay service delete them when they call-anyways. With no response-they finally "get the hint"-DON'T CALL! Yeah having Bell Canada TeleMessage service is useful. Still no reason to alter what I am now doing. I have only one phone number. I set my TTY on voice all time and shift when I access the Relay service-easy press memo and than key V which shifts and tells the operator that I want to use VCO.They reply VCO activated GA.

Bill,

I'm assuming that you live alone then (or that whomever you live with is Deaf/Hoh and uses TTY as well?)

Do you have a cell phone - like a Blackberry with a Data Only plan ? (they're cheap because there's no "voice calling minutes", just the data usage charge)
If so, the new IM Relay service is really wonderful for placing calls when you aren't at home (say at a friends place, volunteering somewhere, the shopping mall, if you have a car problem etc.

One thing that I don't love about the uniphones are the keyboards ... they keys don't depress very far which makes them have a very different feel than a computer keyboard (or a standard TTY keyboard). It also makes the key more prone to sticking (if you use it in TTY mode, versus VCO mode).

I've had a few keys stick to the point that I had to completely dissemble, clean then reassemble my uniphone a few times (fortunately I'm a repair tech and I.T. person, so it wasn't a big deal for me ... though I'd certainly not suggest doing that unless one deals with repairing that type of electronic professionally and knows exactly what they're doing ... TTYs are expensive if they break ... and my 3year warranty is WAY up - since I got the uniphone and compact portable TTYs 97/98)

Can you explain what the purpose of the taped message you talk about and the TeleMessage service? How is it different from a Standard Voicemail box with Voice to text (&/or text to voice)... I'm honestly trying to figure out how it helps etc when people call you.

From what you described, it sounds like basically when someone calls you, they get an automated voice message saying that you're deaf , you use Relay (maybe a super short explanation of what that is) and that if they leave a phone number you'll call them back using relay ... is that right ?

So basically when someone wants to call you, you give them your direct phone line - which when they call gives them a message, and then you re-call them back ?? is that correct?

Is this only for people who you don't usually talk to? (retail places etc) or is this for everyone (friends, family etc) who call all the time as well ??

I'm just trying to figure out how it's easier then just giving them the relay number, and your phone number *shrug*.

I have (home made) "business cards" which has my:
~Name
~Email address
~Relay phone number
~My TTY number
~A brief, yet clear "how to" with dialing and usage instructions whenever I need to give someone my phone number - I simply hand them one of these "cards" and it's fine.

This way they can call me directly - they have everything they need on the "business card" (I also have the same info is also in my email signature).

Anij:I have been widowed for almost 15 years. Live alone. So far, no problem with my Uniphone Ultra Tec 1140 The reason for the "tape" is I can't "hear" on a regular phone-thus TTY. This is one way to deal with this fact. No major problem -so far.To my thinking what I have done is the easiest way to deal with my situation in a cost efficient manner.
The "tape" only says I will reply using the Relay Service not that I am deaf. It also gives my oldest son's telephone number if some emergency.
I only have one phone line.

Anij:I have been widowed for almost 15 years. Live alone. So far, no problem with my Uniphone Ultra Tec 1140 The reason for the "tape" is I can't "hear" on a regular phone-thus TTY. This is one way to deal with this fact. No major problem -so far.To my thinking what I have done is the easiest way to deal with my situation in a cost efficient manner.
The "tape" only says I will reply using the Relay Service not that I am deaf. It also gives my oldest son's telephone number if some emergency.
I only have one phone line.

As you know - I'm Hoh/Deaf myself, born completely deaf on one side (+120db loss) as well as mild/mod fluctuating loss on the side and APD (Auditory Processing Disorder). ... as such I can't understand on a regular phone either (90% of the time, there are a few exceptions) ... and have used a TTY myself for decades.

I get that you use a "tape" ... I was hoping you'd give some more specifics about:
how you use the "tape"
how it differs from "voicemail" (or a voicemail with voice to text function - which is what I have)
how various people contact you etc ... as the system you have chosen to use is very unique - I don't know anyone else who uses anything like that - so I was hoping you'd elaborate (instead of just restate that you use a "tape" and are happy with it)

Could you give a "walk through" with examples how various people would contact you ... ie does you've son "leave a message" too ... or does he call you directly via relay etc.

You mentioned that you list your son as an emergency contact - is this because you are often away from the phone - or because the system you use means that there may be a time delay in your returning their call.

Is there a reason that in your voice message - you don't just mention that you use Relay and to contact you directly " please call the Relay operator at "1-800-relay number here" and then give them your phone number etc.

While I understand how the "tape" may be useful for "first time callers" - I'm having trouble understanding how it works for those who call your frequently etc ... ie - drs, friends, family etc who would be able to call you directly with the relay number. (I've always given my drs, work, friends, family etc the relay number and my phone number and they've never had an issue ... so I'm just trying to understand how your system works and the benefits of it etc

The "tape" is Bell Canada TeleMessage Service-416-210-0698. I pay $8.95 monthly for this specific service. Since this computer is "hooked into" Bell telephone line. No problem I have mentioned before I also have a Vista phone which lights up at all unanswered "taped" calls. A garage sale special! I don't actually used it except for the feature-"lights up". My TTY is on "Voice" till I switch to text. I have used this for a number of years.
If anyone wants me to phone back-they leave message on "tape" on I do via the Relay Service. The notation is only if some "emergency" and my son MAY be of some help by phoning at his home.
Still no problem is this system. A benefit by having the Relay Service delete all scams/advertising/political messages- at my request.All messages are deleted after I "deal with them" thus I don't deal the same message 10 times. I advise the Relay service every time.
So far so good.

Bill -

This "tape" - sounds like voicemail ...I looked on the Bell website and there's nothing at all about a TeleMessage Service (the only thing I could find anywhere - but not on the Bell site- was a free downloadable software program called "TeleMessage" that allows you to use your computer to send emails &SMS messages from your computer which are then converted into speech and left on a phone as a voicemessage ...

I have free voicemail for my cell (messages are stored in a virtual voicemail box on the phone provider's server and can be accessed anywhere, by any phone etc). My voice mail messages are automatically converted for free into a text message and sent to my phone so I can read it ... if the message isn't clearly translated (accent, poor connection, background noise etc), I can also call into relay and have them dial into my voicemail box and then they will type out the voice message for me and safe/delete etc it as needed. Is this basically what your "tape" service is?

So - even your son calls and leaves a message and you call him back ? (presumably speak with reasonably often? or do you mainly use IM to chat?)... he doesn't just call you directly using the relay number ? Has he ever tried just calling directly ? Have you specifically asked him if he'd like to have the ability to contact you directly.... or have you specifically told him that the only way that he is 'able' to call you is leave a message and you'll call him back ?
(maybe he'd prefer to be able to call you directly with out having to leave a message, wait for you to retrieve the message then dial him back etc)

If someone did call you directly (on TTY or via relay) ... would you pick up ? or do you just have a "dial out only" policy for your phone ?

While I understand how having people reach a message is helpful for screening "junk calls" ... I know that it's frustrating as all heck to constantly have to leave messages for family/close friends and then wait around for them to call... it's just soooo much easier (for the hearing person) to be able to call directly, and get you without all the hassle of constantly leaving a message (when you know the person is at home and able to just answer the phone - it's of course different if they're out/at work etc) ... when simply typing 11 extra digits (or the single pres of the speed dial number on their phone ) would get them in touch with you directly, right away, without having to wait for a call back.

Just because it works - doesn't mean there might be a better way for some people (who call you often) to get in tough with you.... just saying

I currently live with a hearing family member - and the cordless landline phones we have all have a flashing light if there is an unanswered voicemail message - as well as a visual display "message" on the handset itself that says "VM Message", "Missed Call" etc to indicate if someone has called, if they've left a message etc.
Also the Call display (landline phone's) is routed through the Satellite receiver and displays all the caller information on the TV screen when the phone rings (provided of course the TV is on)

Whether Bell TeleMesage is a "tape" doesn't matter to me. I DO in fact subscribe to this service- $8.95 per month-part of my phone bill. I DON'T HAVE A CELLPHONE or other device. I DON'T USE THIS COMPUTER as a adjunct to my telephone. I aware one can- I DON'T. I contact whoever after having accessed the Relay service first-I have been doing this for almost 15 years-including ING DIRECT which I duly explain every time I access them. They just advise via a legal statement-not responsible if the Relay operators disclose my account. No real problem-as ING Direct will ONLY transfer back to main account. I do exactly the same thing with all prescription drugs- as I am part of Seniors Drug benefits- Ontario. I use the same one-every time-just give the last prescription number-Bingo they have my account, Seems easy-to me. The prescription is filled-just pick up filled when convenient. Again no problem.Yeah I know- can use this computer-I don't.
There is another benefit speaking loud enough on the phone-even though deaf.
To date- I have no reason alter the situation.

Whether Bell TeleMesage is a "tape" doesn't matter to me. I DO in fact subscribe to this service- $8.95 per month-part of my phone bill. I DON'T HAVE A CELLPHONE or other device. I DON'T USE THIS COMPUTER as a adjunct to my telephone. I aware one can- I DON'T. I contact whoever after having accessed the Relay service first-I have been doing this for almost 15 years-including ING DIRECT which I duly explain every time I access them. They just advise via a legal statement-not responsible if the Relay operators disclose my account. No real problem-as ING Direct will ONLY transfer back to main account. I do exactly the same thing with all prescription drugs- as I am part of Seniors Drug benefits- Ontario. I use the same one-every time-just give the last prescription number-Bingo they have my account, Seems easy-to me. The prescription is filled-just pick up filled when convenient. Again no problem.Yeah I know- can use this computer-I don't.
There is another benefit speaking loud enough on the phone-even though deaf.
To date- I have no reason alter the situation.

Huh ????

I ask you to explain how you use the service and details about TeleMessage (because I can't find any details on the Bells site) and instead of answering ... you get all defensively and start ranting about ING direct (insurance ??) and the nature of Rx coverage in ON ....

I'm baffled.

Anji: I can access Bell Canada TeleMesage Service by telling the Relay operator their number which is: 416-210 0698, then tell them my phone number-416 xxx xxxx( probably on their screen) give my password: which my birthday -mo/day/yr then advise if any message is telemarketing/political ads erase without keying anything. Any other calls are then keyed to me. I also advise them to erase all messages. This service costs me $8.95 per month. Of course, I do this ONLY when there is an unanswered call in "call answer"- my Vista phone lights up red. Right now the phone light is red- this computer using the phone line.
I have been doing this for almost 15 years. ING Direct is used by me for investments-TFSA not insurance.
My Bell Canada bill: line 7-"Call answer service" the Relay Service when they phone says "Bell Canada TeleMessage Service".to me.
Hope you are now "unbaffled". Cheers Bill

Back