Hi, I'm a relay operator and I'm new here.

Peyton Sawyer

Reaction score
I'm not actually deaf but I'm here to support the deaf community. I am a relay operator and I assist the deaf community in making their calls. I'm pretty sure most of you are familiar with what a relay call is. Nice to meet all of you. You can ask me anything and I'd be glad to help deaf and HOH individuals in any way possible. :)

I think it would be great if there was a way not to need a relay operator. I wish there some way a person voice could be program so you could read what a person is saying. I do not like the idea of a 'third person' listening to my phone calls. I tried a relay operator once and hated it.

I thought of that idea too. However, unlike a real person, it would be hard for a computer to recognize the different ways people speak over the phone. Different accents, different pace and sometimes these people have noisy backgrounds too. It would be hard for a computer to differentiate similar sounding words such as "here" and "hear", for example. It would really be close to impossible to have a computer program to do the relay operator's job.

I think it would be great if there was a way not to need a relay operator. I wish there some way a person voice could be program so you could read what a person is saying. I do not like the idea of a 'third person' listening to my phone calls. I tried a relay operator once and hated it.

I think they are bound to a code of ethics, similar to that for interpreters but I'm not sure.

Btw, hello, Peyton....can you shed any light on this? Thanks...

Hi there. Welcome to the forum! Hope you enjoy reading and thank you for your service as a relay operator. I love relay!

Sorry for not replying right away. The site says my post is waiting for the moderator's approval. But thanks for the warm welcome you guys. :)

I've thought of this idea too. I bet the deaf community would be more comfortable having a computer program write down what the person on the other line is saying that having a relay operator listening in on their calls. However, I've also realized that it would just be tough to have such a computer program. There is still need for a real person to be relaying the conversation since a computer program wouldn't be able to differentiate similar sounding words such as "here" and "hear" for example. It would take the comprehension of a real person to be able to know the right words to type even if they're similar sounding through the context of the conversation and common sense. Plus, every person sounds different on the phone. Only a real person (a relay operator) and not a computer can type in words that come from people with different accents, different paces when talking and only relay operators can type in messages from voice parties even if it is too noisy in the background. A computer program just wouldn't be able to "listen in" on a person and be able to relay the messages correctly.

Sorry for not replying right away. The site says my post is waiting for the moderator's approval. But thanks for the warm welcome you guys. :)

Hmmm, are you sure you mean this site? I've been here for years and I don't recall posts having to be moderated before actually going up.

I don't understand it either. I've been trying to reply to "whatdidyousay!" and my reply's a bit long. Been trying to post twice. Both need the mod's approval. Strange. Oh well! Let's see. :P

Hey there and :welcome: to AD!

I can only speak for myself...I really appreciate your services. Bless your heart!

Hey there and :welcome: to AD!

I can only speak for myself...I really appreciate your services. Bless your heart!

Thank you. Makes my day to know that a lot of people still appreciate our services and that not all are frustrated. :)

Welcome :)

another who appreciates the work that Relay Operators do -especially those who've been doing the job for a long time and have tons of experience navigating tricky situations.

I actually really miss the RO/CAs I had when in MN (near Minneapolis/St.Paul) as they were really great about filling in all sorts of little auditory details (background noises, major voice tone changes, etc) - even if they weren't necessary to the understanding of the official call. I also miss the F or M designation beside the ID number so you knew right away if the RO/CA was female or male (useful info for some calls/topics). Neither of these are done in MB - which isn't a big deal really, but I got very used to that "style" of relay when living in MN - and find that I often miss it *shrug*

I'm wondering if the moderating of posts may be a new "anti-spammer" technique that is being used for newbies (say first 10 post?)

I know that especially in the evenings (board time 10pm-4am) we've been getting HEAVILY hit be spammers posting junk/ads etc recently ... in fact this last few months (until last week or so) I was reporting an average of 5-10posts a DAY that were obviously spamming/advertising etc.
It would make sense that new users may have their posts moderated until they are proven not to be selling t-shirts, dvd burning tools, or linking to all sorts of "oddness".

Peyton,

Thank you for your services. It must be a challenging job to relay conversations every day, day in and day out, but certain a much needed service. I was wondering about international services. You see, I use NRS when I am at home in Australia but when I am overseas, and I am a lot, there are no services available for the deaf where I am, even getting people to sms me is difficult enough. I know that I can tap into the local services in the UK and USA when I go there, but as far as I know there aren't any in Asia. Is there any way we can register on a local service in the West and still use it say with a Blackberry? - same for a TTY? If you are unable to answer this question, perhaps you can refer me to someone?

I've thought of this idea too. I bet the deaf community would be more comfortable having a computer program write down what the person on the other line is saying that having a relay operator listening in on their calls. However, I've also realized that it would just be tough to have such a computer program. There is still need for a real person to be relaying the conversation since a computer program wouldn't be able to differentiate similar sounding words such as "here" and "hear" for example. It would take the comprehension of a real person to be able to know the right words to type even if they're similar sounding through the context of the conversation and common sense. Plus, every person sounds different on the phone. Only a real person (a relay operator) and not a computer can type in words that come from people with different accents, different paces when talking and only relay operators can type in messages from voice parties even if it is too noisy in the background. A computer program just wouldn't be able to "listen in" on a person and be able to relay the messages correctly.

Then how does closed captioning work on TV, the news has reporters with accents and the CC is able to tell what being said. I think a person would be able to tell if the wrong word is being used. This happen with CC on TV at times and I know when a word does not fit in the sentence.

Welcome :)

another who appreciates the work that Relay Operators do -especially those who've been doing the job for a long time and have tons of experience navigating tricky situations.

I actually really miss the RO/CAs I had when in MN (near Minneapolis/St.Paul) as they were really great about filling in all sorts of little auditory details (background noises, major voice tone changes, etc) - even if they weren't necessary to the understanding of the official call. I also miss the F or M designation beside the ID number so you knew right away if the RO/CA was female or male (useful info for some calls/topics). Neither of these are done in MB - which isn't a big deal really, but I got very used to that "style" of relay when living in MN - and find that I often miss it *shrug*

I'm wondering if the moderating of posts may be a new "anti-spammer" technique that is being used for newbies (say first 10 post?)

I know that especially in the evenings (board time 10pm-4am) we've been getting HEAVILY hit be spammers posting junk/ads etc recently ... in fact this last few months (until last week or so) I was reporting an average of 5-10posts a DAY that were obviously spamming/advertising etc.
It would make sense that new users may have their posts moderated until they are proven not to be selling t-shirts, dvd burning tools, or linking to all sorts of "oddness".

Ooh. So that explains it. LOL! But I guess they've already approved my post since it's up there now (the lengthy one) :P Yeah, we do try our best to put in those background sounds and everything else that can simulate an actual voice phone call between 2 people. I believe it's only fair for the deaf party - especially when they reach a person who hates the relay service and tells it to another person in the room. Sometimes they assume that since I'm just a relay operator, the deaf party wouldn't be able to find out the bad things that they are saying about the person and the relay service in general. It's also nice to know that these little things that we do are also appreciated. :)

Peyton,

Thank you for your services. It must be a challenging job to relay conversations every day, day in and day out, but certain a much needed service. I was wondering about international services. You see, I use NRS when I am at home in Australia but when I am overseas, and I am a lot, there are no services available for the deaf where I am, even getting people to sms me is difficult enough. I know that I can tap into the local services in the UK and USA when I go there, but as far as I know there aren't any in Asia. Is there any way we can register on a local service in the West and still use it say with a Blackberry? - same for a TTY? If you are unable to answer this question, perhaps you can refer me to someone?

Aww, sorry BecLak but I'm afraid I'm only familiar with the US relay service. It is also my wish that every country could have the privilege of having a relay service to cater to the deaf community. It's really unfortunate that some people who have disabilities cannot enjoy conveniences such as making a phone call because their public officials do not have the power or the motivation to provide the service.

welcome.gif
Welcome!

Back