Hearing Aids and Headaches

Infinite8811

Reaction score
Anyone get headaches when they wear their hearing aids all day? Can you take over the counter medication for this? Also does anyone get ringing worse after they have used their hearing aids all day?

Anyone get headaches when they wear their hearing aids all day? Can you take over the counter medication for this? Also does anyone get ringing worse after they have used their hearing aids all day?

Headaches and ringing worse when you've used your hearing aids normally means your hearing aids are set too loud.

Someone who helps at my deaf centre had this problem and his hearing aids got lowered and now this doesn't occur.

yes, yes, and yes.

I just take tylenol or advil if the headache is REALLY bad otherwise I just try to ignore it. I find I get headaches if I've been lipreading all day or more than usual/ listening very hard. My tinnitus is already out of this world loud but yes I definitely notice it more as soon as I take my HA's off

yes one reasons dont wear them give me migrain and migraine worse than anything

I don't find the actual hearing aids to give me headaches but the Lipreading does. When I hang out with my deaf friends and use sign, in so much more relaxed and don't get headaches.

My best friend and I are both profoundly deaf and we can have a conversation with just moving our mouths and no voice or sign.
I personally find her the easiest to lipread.

I don't find the actual hearing aids to give me headaches but the Lipreading does. When I hang out with my deaf friends and use sign, in so much more relaxed and don't get headaches.

My best friend and I are both profoundly deaf and we can have a conversation with just moving our mouths and no voice or sign.
I personally find her the easiest to lipread.

But I have a severe loss lol I dont think my hearing aids are too loud. Its just when I take them off or if i wear them all day I realize my head hurts. When I take the off the tinnitus IS sooooo uncomfortable ITS CRAZY!

Well I will try to take some medication and see if that helps. My audi says that my hearing is very damanged so the ringing is the outcome. She says my hearing aids arent too loud lol....so IDK ...:hmm:

Well I use interpreters and sometimes I lipread but yeah it does give you headaches haha

Did any of you experience headaches when you first started wearing your hearing aids? I've read that while you are "re-training" your brain to hear sounds again, there tends to be alot of "brain strain". I get my 1st set of hearing aids tomorrow...should I run out and buy a few bottles of pain reliever? lol

i am not good lip reader and gets lots of headaches h.a lip reading all give me headache

Did any of you experience headaches when you first started wearing your hearing aids? I've read that while you are "re-training" your brain to hear sounds again, there tends to be alot of "brain strain". I get my 1st set of hearing aids tomorrow...should I run out and buy a few bottles of pain reliever? lol

I'm been told yes as they don't actually set up first time users with the full amount of gain needed for their loss. Normally takes 4 To 6 weeks to get hearing aids set up to full amount of gain needed for your loss. I'm in the UK so tho may be different. :)

I'm been told yes as they don't actually set up first time users with the full amount of gain needed for their loss. Normally takes 4 To 6 weeks to get hearing aids set up to full amount of gain needed for your loss. I'm in the UK so tho may be different. :)

Thank you NaidaUP! Guess I'll be heading out shopping later :lol: I do believe I've seen your name on another forum...Hearing Aid Forums? If not, you have a thread name twin :laugh2:

Wirelessly posted

I don't wear hearing aids anymore. When I did, I got headaches all the time and faced constant problems with chaffing behind my ears and in my ears from being in the tropics half my life. I also, had difficulty while driving wearing them, later on. I had to keep taking them out to drIve and I was in the car driving, the majority of the day. I've gone ala naturale ever since. Lol.

Last edited:
Well I will try to take some medication and see if that helps. My audi says that my hearing is very damanged so the ringing is the outcome. She says my hearing aids arent too loud lol....so IDK ...:hmm:

That there is a red flag...time to find another audi. I've had a few that tell me that I am the problem, not the HA. Went to another audi and got much better results.

There are many profoundly deaf people out there that get headaches from having hearing aids that are not exactly set up for them. You may not hear certain frequencies, but your inner ear is picking up the extra vibrations.

And, yes, reading lips gave me headaches. It is the concentration on what people are saying that causes strain on the eyes and your thought processes. I don't get headaches when I talk to others that use ASL, but I got headaches while trying to keep up with group talk in meetings, etc.

The kind of people you talk to can have an effect as well....the more difficult that person's personality, the more stress you will feel. That would explain why I always get a headache when I talk to my wife.......:hmm:

When I got more headaches and ringing in my ears that any actual sound I got rid of the aids

yeah and it's better to have the volume down rather than having it all the way up. I played around with my hearing aid volume switch to get it down to where my old aids are LOL

No, but it can be annoying for the adjustment period.

Laura

Only YOU can tell if the hearing aid is too loud or too quiet.
The audi have no way of knowing that - he or she can approximate what is the most optimal sound level for you, and that's that.

But since it's YOUR ears, YOUR hearing only YOU can be the judge of how loud is too loud or how bass-y the tone should be or how trebble-y.

My audi thought since in a way I can hear 'better' higher frequencies it makes sense to increase the trebles for me.
It was a absolute disaster experience for me. Everything sounded "metallic, tinny" and one sided - I hated that.
I demanded to increase the bass instead, as it balanced the trebles for MY personal hearing need,
then asked to increase the loudness overall,
particularly in my new digital Siemens as much as possible without causing it to whistle (feedback).
So much better.

Your headache might be caused by number of things.

It's most likely possible the loudness is set too high.

Or, like it my case, too much treble, or bass.
Perhaps try different bass/treble balance just to see what YOU like best.
Mind you, these fittings take HOURS and a lot of patience on your part.

If you are prone to migraine, even such a seemingly irrelevant detail like poorly fitted earmold or a pulling hook/tubing may trigger a headache since it may cause pressure on the muscles and these in turns on the nerves in/around the ear.
A detail without much significance to a regular person, but for someone with migraine important, as migraineurs are extremely sensitive to any external stimuli.
Even an innocent necklace may trigger a headache.

It's also possible you are simply not used to to being bombarded with so much sound for so long yet.
Try to remove your hearing aid during the day - take breaks, and see what happens.

Fuzzy

Tinnitis when removing hearing aids

It is normal to get more tinnitis after removing hearing aids, because it is like going to a very much quieter environment, like the country after a city! This is annoying to me when trying to go to sleep, so I try to take them out an hour or so before bedtime. It just shows that the hearing aids were doing their job. I'm surprised that more audiologists don't explain about this.:roll:

Back