Hearing Aids and Headaches

Gosh.. it's just that I've been looking at the audiograms in the signatures, and I've not come across any worse than mine :)

The left one is worse.. there's nothing over 1000Hz that can be heard under 120db :P and it has a vent in it, because the SPL is pretty high on that one, but still no whistling. Maybe we should have an audiogram post thread, would be interesting :)
Here's a link to the girl you are talking about. Post one shows previous and current audio-gram. I am pretty sure there already exist threads of comparative audio-grams. Just a minute and I will be back with your left ear so you can see it compared to Alex.
http://www.alldeaf.com/hearing-aids...-audiograms-surgery-tomorrow.html#post2141054

Last edited:
Gosh.. it's just that I've been looking at the audiograms in the signatures, and I've not come across any worse than mine :)

The left one is worse.. there's nothing over 1000Hz that can be heard under 120db :P and it has a vent in it, because the SPL is pretty high on that one, but still no whistling. Maybe we should have an audiogram post thread, would be interesting :)

Here's your left ear.

724pqq.jpg

Here's a link to the girl you are talking about. Post one shows previous and current audio-gram. I am pretty sure there already exist threads of comparative audio-grams. Just a minute and I will be back with your left ear so you can see it compared to Alex.
http://www.alldeaf.com/hearing-aids...-audiograms-surgery-tomorrow.html#post2141054

Well see her right ear is better than mine..:P curiously though, if her hearing level is around 85 on her right, why does she need to crank it up past 130? or am I reading it wrong?

Well see her right ear is better than mine..:P curiously though, if her hearing level is around 85 on her right, why does she need to crank it up past 130? or am I reading it wrong?

:confused:

ptxmo.jpg

Oh. It's scary that a surgeon would damage an eardrum. Still, once everything is wired up and working, it should work better than any HA :P

So eventually, she will still have better hearing than me once everything is settled :) as for right now, don't suppose any HA would help much, but still, hearing level (at 500 Hz) is 100 db, so 110-120 should work for the moment? it's just a temporary thing though, once the CI gets implanted it should be a lot better :)

Her right is better then yours? She only hears one freqeucy and the rest is no response.

My Naidas are set at 142db and I'm bascully 110db flat across the board apart from 2 freqeuncies at 120db.

I was looking at the wrong one :P

Interesting.. but no feedback either right?

I get way too much feedback but either that or I don't hear anything. Phonak rep tried setting Naida differently so less feedback but I don't hear anywhere near the amount as I do so I would rather have feedback and hear well.

Just means, I can't wear Ear Gear, can't wear my hair down, need ear molds more quickly then most people (every 7-8 months) :)

I won't give up these aids tho as I hear so much better then I have ever. Wanted to try the Oticon Chili but they are not as powerful as the Naida UP.

Oc318, you perhaps should stop throwing around assumptions. My loss is WAY worse than yours. I'm deaf as a stone. WITH my hearing aid I can BARELY hear sounds that are above 100dB originally. If I turned my HA down to 120dB, as you so naively suggest, it would be so quiet I wouldn't even notice it because of tinnitus. You seem very focused on comparing your loss to mine, post after post in this thread. That my loss can't be worse than yours, that I'll hear better than you in the end. You may not see it, but that is very odd. You mention you've never seen an Audiogram worse than yours in signatures here. That's because a person with such a profound loss likely isn't going to be wearing HA's, therefore isn't going to be in this section. They also aren't going to post their Audiogram in their signature. That's because people with audiograms like mine are usually Deaf, not deaf. When you have your Audiogram in your signature, Deaf will refer to you as HOH, not deaf. Because deaf/Deaf do not care about numbers. They're just deaf/Deaf.

Just sayin'

If DeafAlex puts her Naida down to 120db and what she can hear is basically 100db and above, it's means every soft sound, speech sound and loud sound will be within a 20db gap which means she won't get much sound at all :)

Oc318, you perhaps should stop throwing around assumptions. My loss is WAY worse than yours. I'm deaf as a stone. WITH my hearing aid I can BARELY hear sounds that are above 100dB originally. If I turned my HA down to 120dB, as you so naively suggest, it would be so quiet I wouldn't even notice it because of tinnitus. You seem very focused on comparing your loss to mine, post after post in this thread. That my loss can't be worse than yours, that I'll hear better than you in the end. You may not see it, but that is very odd.

Actually you're right, I don't see it. We both have different ideas of what "odd" is I guess. I find it odd for a surgeon to destroy an eardrum, even if it's never going to be used again. And then to repair it.. I'm not sure what was up with that, but then I've never really been all that smart so :P

Okay. odd but is it a true statement though? it seems to make sense to me because well.. it's the bionic thing I guess. I've been reading and watching too many videos on it, how they connect the electrodes and stuff, it seems to me to be a vastly more efficient way to do things than to use a HA. It's basically like you have a HA that's connected directly to your brain. It's like you really do have a bionic ear. I know right now you're probably thinking "What kind of idiot is this really..?" but I'm just being honest. I could pretend to be smart and "normal" but why would I right?

So anyway it does seem to me that it's somewhat cool to have an electronic ear (probably a guy thing though) -- well it's like, I've been in computer science for a while, and I know how this sounds, but .. an actual processor connected to your brain, bypassing inefficient biological systems, being better than them, that's like augmentation, I used to play games in which this was possible, and now it is.

And now I hope you will excuse me if I say we in Comp Sc have always been fantasizing about female cybernetic bio-augmentation. That's probably the reason why there are so many of them in games and movies (Mako on SWTOR, Ghost in the Shell, Seven of Nine etc.) And now it's actually possible.

Anyway, so I'm thinking all the ear really does is pass sound to the brain for processing. Since you will have what in effect a more efficient ear, and your brain stays the same, I would guess that you would be able to hear better, or more accurately than most people.

Or maybe I've been watching too many movies. But theoretically it has to be better, or at least more efficient, right?

You mention you've never seen an Audiogram worse than yours in signatures here. That's because a person with such a profound loss likely isn't going to be wearing HA's, therefore isn't going to be in this section. They also aren't going to post their Audiogram in their signature. That's because people with audiograms like mine are usually Deaf, not deaf. When you have your Audiogram in your signature, Deaf will refer to you as HOH, not deaf. Because deaf/Deaf do not care about numbers. They're just deaf/Deaf.

Just sayin'

What I'm saying is, I don't see how that can be worse than a normal ear, maybe different but not worse. After all, if your ears are damaged, and you bypass it, doesn't that theoretically at least give you normal hearing? I mean there's nothing wrong with your brain, and nothing wrong with the implant, so by right you should have a better-than-normal auditory system?

Will you still be deaf with it on? I'm thinking if the only part that was damaged is bypassed, then you should have normal sound levels for most frequencies right? and then after that, it's just learning to hear again?

Last edited:
If DeafAlex puts her Naida down to 120db and what she can hear is basically 100db and above, it's means every soft sound, speech sound and loud sound will be within a 20db gap which means she won't get much sound at all :)

Oh,ok then. It's nice to be corrected.

I don't find the actual hearing aids to give me headaches but the Lipreading does. When I hang out with my deaf friends and use sign, in so much more relaxed and don't get headaches.

My best friend and I are both profoundly deaf and we can have a conversation with just moving our mouths and no voice or sign.
I personally find her the easiest to lipread.

Same for me. It is not the hearing aids that give me headaches. It is lipreading!

Actually you're right, I don't see it. We both have different ideas of what "odd" is I guess. I find it odd for a surgeon to destroy an eardrum, even if it's never going to be used again. And then to repair it.. I'm not sure what was up with that, but then I've never really been all that smart so :P

Okay. odd but is it a true statement though? it seems to make sense to me because well.. it's the bionic thing I guess. I've been reading and watching too many videos on it, how they connect the electrodes and stuff, it seems to me to be a vastly more efficient way to do things than to use a HA. It's basically like you have a HA that's connected directly to your brain. It's like you really do have a bionic ear. I know right now you're probably thinking "What kind of idiot is this really..?" but I'm just being honest. I could pretend to be smart and "normal" but why would I right?

So anyway it does seem to me that it's somewhat cool to have an electronic ear (probably a guy thing though) -- well it's like, I've been in computer science for a while, and I know how this sounds, but .. an actual processor connected to your brain, bypassing inefficient biological systems, being better than them, that's like augmentation, I used to play games in which this was possible, and now it is.

And now I hope you will excuse me if I say we in Comp Sc have always been fantasizing about female cybernetic bio-augmentation. That's probably the reason why there are so many of them in games and movies (Mako on SWTOR, Ghost in the Shell, Seven of Nine etc.) And now it's actually possible.

Anyway, so I'm thinking all the ear does is really pass sound to the brain for processing. Since you will have what in effect a more efficient ear, and your brain stays the same, I would guess that you would be able to hear better, or more accurately than most people.

Or maybe I've been watching too many movies. But theoretically it has to be better, or at least more efficient, right?

What I'm saying is, I don't see how that can be worse than a normal ear, maybe different but not worse. After all, if your ears are damaged, and you bypass it, doesn't that theoretically at least give you normal hearing? I mean there's nothing wrong with your brain, and nothing wrong with the implant, so by right you should have a better-than-normal auditory system?

Will you still be deaf with it on? I'm thinking if the only part that was damaged is bypassed, then you should have normal sound levels for most frequencies right? and then after that, it's just learning to hear again?

Wow, okay, you've obviously not done much research on CI's! No, I will NOT have normal or better hearing with a CI. I will essentially be functionally HOH. Although I may be able to hear sounds at a lower dB range, understanding is completely different, especially with speech. I don't think anyone has ever been implanted and can hear and understand as well as or better than a normally hearing person.

And I would still be Deaf with my implant. Being Deaf is an identity, not a number on an Audiogram. I will be deaf without the implant on. It doesn't fix me or my hearing. It just helps me while it's on. As far as hearing and Audiogram numbers, like I said above, after much auditory rehab and time I can potentially be functionally HOH with the implant on.

You should not get a headache from a hearing aid. Also, you should not normally be feeling any sound vibration.

My ears felt plugged up if my ear molds where really tight and it felt like pressure was building up . It was not a headache , is was a feeling of too much pressure. Maybe the OP should have their eyes checked.

Back