Hearing Aids and Headaches

I get headaches from my HA and I can barely hear from it. It's putting out above 130dB, so the sound pressure and vibrations are causing the headache, not what I hear. I also have tinnitus 24/7. Before my loss went downhill to complete deafness, the tinnitus went away when wearing my aid, because the sounds distract your brain from it. Once it's quiet again, there it is, because there's nothing to cover it up. I get headaches from lip reading too much too. If I have to have a conversation more than one-on-one for too long, I'll get a headache for sure, that's hard work!

You should not get a headache from a hearing aid. Also, you should not normally be feeling any sound vibration.

Did any of you experience headaches when you first started wearing your hearing aids? I've read that while you are "re-training" your brain to hear sounds again, there tends to be alot of "brain strain". I get my 1st set of hearing aids tomorrow...should I run out and buy a few bottles of pain reliever? lol

When I got my current aids, my old ones were really bad and not really doing me any good. They had them preset to what I should be using and :eek3: it was LOUD. She turned them down probably 1/2 way and even that was pretty loud. After about 2 days though I could tell I didn't have enough sound. I think it took 5 or 6 fine tunings to really get them where they were comfortable. I went from ITE to BTE and they were SO much more comfortable though.

You should not get a headache from a hearing aid. Also, you should not normally be feeling any sound vibration.

I don't feel the vibration, but sounds does vibrate your eardrum and middle ear whether you hear the sound or not. 130+dB is a lot of vibration! Especially considering I have had damage and surgery done to both my ear drums and my ossicles; they're not as strong as they should be.

I am prone to headaches and get them for many reasons, I get migraines as well. For someone who is sensitive to getting headaches, 130+dB of sound pressure and vibration WILL cause a headache every now and then. It's not every day, or even every week, but it does happen.

I don't feel the vibration, but sounds does vibrate your eardrum and middle ear whether you hear the sound or not. 130+dB is a lot of vibration! Especially considering I have had damage and surgery done to both my ear drums and my ossicles; they're not as strong as they should be.

I am prone to headaches and get them for many reasons, I get migraines as well. For someone who is sensitive to getting headaches, 130+dB of sound pressure and vibration WILL cause a headache every now and then. It's not every day, or even every week, but it does happen.

If I hear something loud, my ear drum will vibrate, but that is because it is louder than my eardrum can handle. Normal vibration is not usually felt. If you have a medical condition that is different and maybe you feel that all the time, but normally you don't feel or are conscious of the vibration. I have profound loss.

I never feel my ear drums vibrate and my Naidas are set to the max at 142db SPL. Ive always wondered why I don't feel the vibrations.

My ear drums are very scarred which might be why.

I never feel my ear drums vibrate and my Naidas are set to the max at 142db SPL. Ive always wondered why I don't feel the vibrations.

My ear drums are very scarred which might be why.

If someone yells in your ear, do you feel the vibration?

If I hear something loud, my ear drum will vibrate, but that is because it is louder than my eardrum can handle. Normal vibration is not usually felt. If you have a medical condition that is different and maybe you feel that all the time, but normally you don't feel or are conscious of the vibration. I have profound loss.

I usually don't feel it, unless it's very loud. I teach 2yr olds and if one of them is screaming and crying, even though I can't hear them, my ear drum definitely responds! It's a weird feeling, lol.

I get headaches from my HA and I can barely hear from it. It's putting out above 130dB, so the sound pressure and vibrations are causing the headache, not what I hear. I also have tinnitus 24/7. Before my loss went downhill to complete deafness, the tinnitus went away when wearing my aid, because the sounds distract your brain from it. Once it's quiet again, there it is, because there's nothing to cover it up. I get headaches from lip reading too much too. If I have to have a conversation more than one-on-one for too long, I'll get a headache for sure, that's hard work!

If you have sound pressure issues, the audi can put a went in it that reduces the pressure. Might help.

Did any of you experience headaches when you first started wearing your hearing aids? I've read that while you are "re-training" your brain to hear sounds again, there tends to be alot of "brain strain". I get my 1st set of hearing aids tomorrow...should I run out and buy a few bottles of pain reliever? lol

Yes it gets loud, but after a while you get used to it. For a while it was really weird, I could hear footsteps in heavy traffic (do hearing people normally hear footsteps in heavy traffic?) but I got used to ignoring the background noise and now I don't hear them much any more.

Sounds like you need to go in for an adjustment.
Just had one today, actually. It's normal.
If you have sound pressure issues, the audi can put a went in it that reduces the pressure. Might help.

My current mold has a vent. The one my Audi ordered today doesn't. That's because I get too much feedback with a vent. My HA is cranked above 130dB.

Just had one today, actually. It's normal.

My current mold has a vent. The one my Audi ordered today doesn't. That's because I get too much feedback with a vent. My HA is cranked above 130dB.

That shouldn't happen, are you wearing BTEs? want to post an audiogram? now I'm curious, what are you wearing? I'm using Oticon's Chili SP7, I posted my audiogram in the welcome thread, yours can't be worse than mine, and I have zero feedback. BTEs (and chips designed for power) generally incorporate a feedback cancellation mechanism I think. I really did have a problem with feedback when I was wearing ITEs.

What my audi did was completely turn off the frequencies that went below a threshold (about 120db), So in some frequencies, I can actually hear better without the aid :) but the difference is negligible and not worth the feedback it will produce. The difference between "barely able to hear, and only in really quiet areas" and "unable to hear" is really not worth the feedback :)

So that's what we did to solve the feedback issue. I think it's more than worth the tradeoff, a few frequencies you can only hear in really quiet, pin-drop areas, for a lot more comfort :)

Alex has a purple Naida which is cool! (I too have purple hearing aids but it has more swag lol)
just like you OC, I wear Oticons too! *yes, mine's the Safari/Chili in P platform*

I suggest to you adjustment to down volume. if suppose you worst to increase volume. if suggest to you annoy loud , tell you see audiologist! can help you speak to audiologist

That shouldn't happen, are you wearing BTEs? want to post an audiogram? now I'm curious, what are you wearing? I'm using Oticon's Chili SP7, I posted my audiogram in the welcome thread, yours can't be worse than mine, and I have zero feedback. BTEs (and chips designed for power) generally incorporate a feedback cancellation mechanism I think. I really did have a problem with feedback when I was wearing ITEs.

What my audi did was completely turn off the frequencies that went below a threshold (about 120db), So in some frequencies, I can actually hear better without the aid :) but the difference is negligible and not worth the feedback it will produce. The difference between "barely able to hear, and only in really quiet areas" and "unable to hear" is really not worth the feedback :)

So that's what we did to solve the feedback issue. I think it's more than worth the tradeoff, a few frequencies you can only hear in really quiet, pin-drop areas, for a lot more comfort :)
Here's half your audiogram.. I had to enlarge it as I can't see much, but most people have have vastly worse audiograms than this.

Profoundly deaf people often have no vent as it causes whistling.

14cu33r.jpg

Here's half your audiogram.. I had to enlarge it as I can't see much, but most people have have vastly worse audiograms than this.

Profoundly deaf people often have no vent as it causes whistling.

Gosh.. it's just that I've been looking at the audiograms in the signatures, and I've not come across any worse than mine :)

The left one is worse.. there's nothing over 1000Hz that can be heard under 120db :P and it has a vent in it, because the SPL is pretty high on that one, but still no whistling. Maybe we should have an audiogram post thread, would be interesting :)

Gosh.. it's just that I've been looking at the audiograms in the signatures, and I've not come across any worse than mine :)

You will get to know people the longer you are here. :)

Plus you will learn a lot about deafness and deaf people.

Back