Gun control

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did I say that? I don't think so, you really need to start reading the posts I'm answering to get the gist of what I'm saying.

Perhaps if more of your posts weren't so nonsensical, people would take them a little more seriously. A good example:

"When they can start moving 2,500 feet per second!"

One can argue with 2+2=5. One cannot argue with 2+2=orange.

So, people who can't afford armed guards aren't allowed to defend themselves? People who can't afford gated communities can't protect themselves? Are only rich people worth protecting? No self defense for average middle class people?

1. Affirmative 2. Affirmative 3. Negative, but that's what rich people think. 4. Affirmative.

Make no mistake about it, this has nothing to do with reducing violent crime; they just don't want you to be able to defend yourself. When guns are banned, so are knives and non-lethal weapons. New York State, for instance, has anti-knife laws.

PS: I fall into the same trap all the time, but it's a bad idea to argue with people who have no intention of honestly discussing an issue with you.

It's not about guns. It is about control. :rolleyes:

Perhaps if more of your posts weren't so nonsensical, people would take them a little more seriously. A good example:

"When they can start moving 2,500 feet per second!"

One can argue with 2+2=5. One cannot argue with 2+2=orange.

One can argue with 2+2=5. One cannot argue with 2+2=orange, that's kinda like I see the gun fanatics argument when they can see the body count growing from these mass shootings and are okay with it because they don't want any restrictions put on what weapon they can buy or what accessory they can add on to it, because "they are law abiding citizens" Talking about being nonsenical! It's just like Rome burning while Nero fiddled or the person who can't see the forrest through the trees!

As to the truck and the 2,500 feet per second, lets see, the shooter in Las Vegas was able to shoot 605 people, killing 58 in less than 12 minutes. The terrorist in a rented truck was able to drive on a path for ten blocks and killed 8 and injured 11. Can you see the difference now? With a truck you can move out of the way as many did in NYC when they saw the guy coming, with a bullet, you ain't moving out of the way, all you're doing is ducking and looking for cover from the carnage that is going on around you and hoping you're not going to get hit!

Last edited:
Its about control. As. In. Gun. Control.
No it's about common sense! If you aren't safe in society because someone might start shooting at you with a rifle that can shoot over 100 rounds a minute, it's time to put some limits on what's out there.

No it's about common sense! If you aren't safe in society because someone might start shooting at you with a rifle that can shoot over 100 rounds a minute, it's time to put some limits on what's out there.

Hmmm. Okay then, how about negotiating? Next time in the exact same situation, instead of 600, would 200 suit you?

Hmmm. Okay then, how about negotiating? Next time in the exact same situation, instead of 600, would 200 suit you?
Now that's totally nonsensical! One it too many!

One can argue with 2+2=5. One cannot argue with 2+2=orange, that's kinda like I see the gun fanatics argument when they can see the body count growing from these mass shootings and are okay with it because they don't want any restrictions put on what weapon they can buy or what accessory they can add on to it, because "they are law abiding citizens" Talking about being nonsenical! It's just like Rome burning while Nero fiddled or the person who can't see the forrest through the trees!

As to the truck and the 2,500 feet per second, lets see, the shooter in Las Vegas was able to shoot 605 people, killing 58 in less than 12 minutes. The terrorist in a rented truck was able to drive on a path for ten blocks and kill 8 and injure 11. Can you see the difference now? With a truck you can move out of the way as many did in NYC when they saw the guy coming, with a bullet, you ain't moving out of the way, all you're doing is ducking and looking for cover from the carnage that is going on around you and hoping you're not going to get hit!

That guy wasn't plowing into a confined crowd of 20,000. A moving vehicle, as is, has enormous destructive potential. Cars and trucks don't kill in the same manner bullets do. The bubonic plague didn't spread at 2500 feet per second, either, but that doesn't mean it wasn't dangerous; it once killed off half of Europe's population.

The correct response to the sarcastic claim that guns are somehow equivalent to cars is to point out that a gun is a device whose sole purpose is to kill, whereas a car is designed to serve a far more constructive purpose, despite being dangerous. The benefits of cars to society far outweigh their potential to be used as lethal weapons.

And as far as that argument goes, unfortunately the issue is far more complicated than "guns kill so let's get rid of them."

That guy wasn't plowing into a confined crowd of 20,000. A moving vehicle, as is, has enormous destructive potential. Cars and trucks don't kill in the same manner bullets do. The bubonic plague didn't spread at 2500 feet per second, either, but that doesn't mean it wasn't dangerous; it once killed off half of Europe's population.

The correct response to the sarcastic claim that guns are somehow equivalent to cars is to point out that a gun is a device whose sole purpose is to kill, whereas a car is designed to serve a far more constructive purpose, despite being dangerous. The benefits of cars to society far outweigh their potential to be used as lethal weapons.

And as far as that argument goes, unfortunately the issue is far more complicated than "guns kill so let's get rid of them."

Now we are into nonsense on a large scale almost grasping at straws. The fact remains a man with basically a machine gun that was and is totally legal to own, opened up on a crowd of 20,000+ innocent people and in less than 12 minutes killed or wounded 605 of them. A huge difference in the types of attack is with the vehicle you can see it coming and move out of the way, with a bullet, you don't see all you see is it's effects once it impact it's intended or unintended target. You can duck for cover or look for a place to hide, but your in a shooting gallery all the while you do, once the truck passes you, the danger is gone. The man in the Home Depot truck drove down a path and killed 8 and injured 11 in 10 blocks. Even in a large crowd people can move out of the way of the truck because even at 60 miles per hour it's only traveling at 88 feet per second, not 2,500. On July 14, 2016, an islamic terrorist drove into a crowd of 30,000 people 10,000 more than your 20,000, celebrating Bastille day in Nice, France. The driver drove a 19 ton cargo truck into the crowd at 56 MPH which was 82.13 feet per second,and in the distance he traveled(length of the boulevard) was able to kill 86 and injure 434. Yes, the truck killed more people but the total killed or wounded was almost 100 less than the Vegas shooter. With each truck attack officials figure out more ways to put more and more obstacles in the way to stop these attacks, so far nobody has figured out how to stop someone from entering a movie theater, school, place of work or a concert with a gun and killing or injuring more people with each incident.

Last edited:
Now we are into nonsense on a large scale. The fact remains a man with basically a machine gun that was and is totally legal to own, opened up on a crowd of 20,000+ innocent people and in less than 12 minutes killed or wounded 605 of them. The man in the Home Depot truck drove down a path and killed 8 and injured 11 in 10 blocks. Even in a large crowd people can move out of the way of the truck because even at 60 miles per hour it's only traveling at 88 feet per second, not 2,500. On July 14, 2016, an islamic terrorist drove into a crowd of 30,000 people 10,000 more than your 20,000, celebrating Bastille day in Nice, France. The driver drove a 19 ton cargo truck into the crowd at 56 MPH which was 82.13 feet per second,and in the distance he traveled was able to kill 86 and injure 434. Yes, the truck killed more people but the total killed or wounded was almost 100 less than the Vegas shooter. With each truck attack officials figure out more ways to put more and more obstacles in the way to stop these attacks, so far nobody has figured out how to stop someone from entering a movie theater, school, place of work or a concert with a gun and killing or injuring more people with each incident.

So basically you're admitting that you were wrong and then splitting hairs about injuries and the number of people in the crowd.

Now we are into nonsense on a large scale almost grasping at straws. The fact remains a man with basically a machine gun that was and is totally legal to own, opened up on a crowd of 20,000+ innocent people and in less than 12 minutes killed or wounded 605 of them. A huge difference in the types of attack is with the vehicle you can see it coming and move out of the way, with a bullet, you don't see all you see is it's effects once it impact it's intended or unintended target. You can duck for cover or look for a place to hide, but your in a shooting gallery all the while you do, once the truck passes you, the danger is gone. The man in the Home Depot truck drove down a path and killed 8 and injured 11 in 10 blocks. Even in a large crowd people can move out of the way of the truck because even at 60 miles per hour it's only traveling at 88 feet per second, not 2,500. On July 14, 2016, an islamic terrorist drove into a crowd of 30,000 people 10,000 more than your 20,000, celebrating Bastille day in Nice, France. The driver drove a 19 ton cargo truck into the crowd at 56 MPH which was 82.13 feet per second,and in the distance he traveled(length of the boulevard) was able to kill 86 and injure 434. Yes, the truck killed more people but the total killed or wounded was almost 100 less than the Vegas shooter. With each truck attack officials figure out more ways to put more and more obstacles in the way to stop these attacks, so far nobody has figured out how to stop someone from entering a movie theater, school, place of work or a concert with a gun and killing or injuring more people with each incident.

I'm much more concerned about car bomb/car plowing than some lunatic machine-gunning people down because it's so rare and statistically-wise, you're much more likely to get killed by either cop or car carnage/road rage.

Las Vegas shooting.... 58 died

compared to....
Oklahoma FBI Bombing by truck... 168 dead with half of building collapsed and 680+ injured
WTC bombing... 6 dead and 1,042 injured
Nice Truck Attack... 86 dead and 434 injured
Times Square carnage... West Side Highway carnage (recent one)... Charlottesville carnage... and dozens more

I'm much more concerned about bombing than lunatic with machine gun (because it's so rare) -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Times_Square_car_bombing_attempt
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Marathon_bombing
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_New_York_and_New_Jersey_bombings

these are all very recent and very close to my home.

I'm much more concerned about car bomb/car plowing than some lunatic machine-gunning people down because it's so rare and statistically-wise, you're much more likely to get killed by either cop or car carnage/road rage.

Las Vegas shooting.... 58 died

compared to....
Oklahoma FBI Bombing by truck... 168 dead with half of building collapsed and 680+ injured
WTC bombing... 6 dead and 1,042 injured
Nice Truck Attack... 86 dead and 434 injured
Times Square carnage... West Side Highway carnage (recent one)... Charlottesville carnage... and dozens more

I'm much more concerned about bombing than lunatic with machine gun (because it's so rare) -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Times_Square_car_bombing_attempt
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Marathon_bombing
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_New_York_and_New_Jersey_bombings

these are all very recent and very close to my home.

How many bombings have happened in the US since Boston? With each person driving through a crowd new measures are put in place to stop them. With guns it's only gotten worse, each mass shooting eclipses the last one and now with the Las Vegas attack, Stephan Paddock has put a new record in the books and there are probably a number of crazy people with guns or buying the guns they will need to set a new record. At least with other methods we can do something about it, but with gun violence, so far the gun people have not been interested in stopping it and with them owning Congress, it's going to take a really large number of dead and wounded before even the idiots we have elected say enough is enough! As I said, Rome burned while Nero fiddled!
Found this undated statistic online, it said last year but didn't say what year, in Japan 48 people where killed with a handgun, 8 in GB, 34 in Switzerland, 52 in Canada, 58 in Israel, 21 in Sweden, 42 in Germany and in the United States 10,728! I'm glad to here you feel safer with your guns, because with statistics like this you will probably need them!

Last edited:
So basically you're admitting that you were wrong and then splitting hairs about injuries and the number of people in the crowd.
How so? Try giving some examples of how I was wrong this time. As I write this NYC crews are installing concrete pillars to keep any vehicle from entering the bike paths in the city, so as I said the terrorist strikes and they come up with methods to keep the same thing from happening again. With firearms there is nothing in place and nothing has been done to keep another LV from happening again. The CDC just released it's numbers for 2016 gun related deaths and for the second straight year it's up after being relatively flat from 2004-2014. The 2015 rate was 11 per 100,000 people in the U.S., the 2016 rate was 12 per 100,000.

Last edited:
How so? Try giving some examples of how I was wrong this time. As I write this NYC crews are installing concrete pillars to keep any vehicle from entering the bike paths in the city, so as I said the terrorist strikes and they come up with methods to keep the same thing from happening again. With firearms there is nothing in place and nothing has been done to keep another LV from happening again. The CDC just released it's numbers for 2016 gun related deaths and for the second straight year it's up after being relatively flat from 2004-2014. The 2015 rate was 11 per 100,000 people in the U.S., the 2016 rate was 12 per 100,000.

You claimed that a truck isn't as dangerous as a gun (you know, because they don't go down the road at 2500 ft per second ) and then gave an example of a motorist plowing into a crowd and killing nearly a hundred people. Fifty eight is the pinnacle for lives lost in a US mass shooting.

I think you're just having fun wasting people's time. I'm done.

I think you're just having fun wasting people's time.

That summed it up perfectly.

If @seb really wanted to make a difference, he/she should write/email their respective elected Representative, Senator, Governor and President. That's what I have been doing to protect the 2A. Get out and vote. If you lose, you are in the minority. Hmmm!?

That summed it up perfectly.

If @seb really wanted to make a difference, he/she should write/email their respective elected Representative, Senator, Governor and President. That's what I have been doing to protect the 2A. Get out and vote. If you lose, you are in the minority. Hmmm!?
I have written them. For your information 74% of all NRA members support comprehensive background checks for all gun sales and almost 90% of all people in the U.S. and that includes gun owners want some form of common sense gun control, These aren't my numbers they were done by several different polling agencies such as: Gallup, CBS, New York Times. so you wanting none are definitely in the minority. Hmmmm!?

Last edited:
You claimed that a truck isn't as dangerous as a gun (you know, because they don't go down the road at 2500 ft per second ) and then gave an example of a motorist plowing into a crowd and killing nearly a hundred people. Fifty eight is the pinnacle for lives lost in a US mass shooting.

I think you're just having fun wasting people's time. I'm done.
You missed the point, they get one chance and then the avenue they used to drive into a crowd is closed. It's much easier to stop vehicular killers than some nut with a gun.

You missed the point, they get one chance and then the avenue they used to drive into a crowd is closed. It's much easier to stop vehicular killers than some nut with a gun.

and you missed the point. there are 10000000 other places to mow down people. pretty much every street are jammed with people at several locations during rush hour, afternoon, etc. and no it's not much easier to stop a homicidal killer behind the wheel. all they can do is wait till he crashes.

I can recall many incidents where cops have stopped/killed gun nuts including Las Vegas shooter.... but I cannot recall any incident where cop has stopped a vehicular killer till he crashes... do you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back