Guests breaking furniture

I had the problem also, 2 of my guests came for the weekend. She was one of my BF's...and her husband weighed over 300 lbs....I've nothing against "heavy-set" (overweight, obese) people, but they do wreck havoc on furniture, even the Shocks in your car....:giggle:

He went to use the guest bathroom and broke the toilet seat....:shock:...I was upset....but he offered to buy me a new one and install it...so I accepted that.

They had a small car, a V4...and it's a wonder :giggle:...whenever he got in, the car "tilted" side-ways....

I do feel if you are a guest in someone's home and break something, then you are responsible to replace it or pay for it. It's up to the home owner to accept it or not.

I cancelled my order on Amazon.com.

I found several fancy office chairs for sale at lower prices on Craigslist. So far, I have emailed to 5 sellers. Hopefully, I will get lucky with one. One leather office chair that is usually worth $200 is selling for $25. Not bad...

Just have to check for bed bugs before I purchase it.

Does the roommate pay rent? Normally this kind of contract would be set up as part of the original agreement to move in. It really helps to avoid any misunderstandings. That way, there's no awkwardness.

Yes she does. It was an emergency situation as she lost her home so it was all quick. We used to be roommates 8 years ago.

I just mentioned to her about the situation and she said she will talk to her girlfriend about not sitting on the chairs. It is is awkward and a first for us.

I have never in my lifetime had guests break my furniture so it is all new to me.

The reason I brought it up here is because I was concerned that if I bought a new chair and she breaks it again. I wanted advice on how to prevent that.

Oh boy....

What makes office chairs so special? If I were to visit, I would rather sit in a sofa or couch over office chair. ALWAYS!!!

I'm sure there is couch or sofa available for guests. They would always sit in that.

Other idea-----no one uses your computer but you, right? If that chair was placed under desk by computer, no one would use it, or will they?

Now, I don't know if your roommate was on lease or not, but if this happens again, you can always kick her out. PRONTO!!

I would never ever kick her out and put her and her kids on the street over office furniture. That's cruel.

Wanted to add...the office chair that we have is VERY comfortable. The kids, the cats, and guests love to sit on it. It is still usuable ..just cant adjust the height anymore and I need it at a certain height to be able to use the computer and VP. I can keep it for guests and the kids but I hate adding more furniture and using up more space. That's the problem with my house..it is small.

Uh, oh, redneck duct-tape refurbishing. ;)

I swear he is a redneck by heart! LOL! He used a part of our fence to make a door for our shed after it got damaged. Now, our shed looks crappy.

Great if you are comfortable with leather (real or not) year round. Could be uncomfortable in summer or if room gets hot any time.

Always keep my house at a comfortable 71 degrees year round so it should be fine. I will test it when I check it out tmw to see if I feel comfortable on it before buying it.

Always keep my house at a comfortable 71 degrees year round so it should be fine. I will test it when I check it out tmw to see if I feel comfortable on it before buying it.

Brrrrr 71 is lower than I want any time of year. I am trying 72 this winter and not sure I am going to stay with that.

DONT MIND ME POSTING IT HERE :D

rocking%20chair%20for%20cat%201.JPG

You could say out loud " Boy I wonder when I will get rid of these scabies!" then start acting very itchy . If you can hide the chair do that would if not you could say "My chair is not very stable so please to not use it " and say this to everyone. I think the woman should get the hint. If it was me I would just come out and tell the woman to not use my work chair anymore. If she can't handle that she has no business being 300 lbs.

Brrrrr 71 is lower than I want any time of year. I am trying 72 this winter and not sure I am going to stay with that.

I CANT sleep when I am hot. My husband would agree with you but since he has a clavier attitude about everything breaking, he is being punished with 71 degrees in the house. :lol:

You could say out loud " Boy I wonder when I will get rid of these scabies!" then start acting very itchy . If you can hide the chair do that would if not you could say "My chair is not very stable so please to not use it " and say this to everyone. I think the woman should get the hint. If it was me I would just come out and tell the woman to not use my work chair anymore. If she can't handle that she has no business being 300 lbs.

My roommate felt bad and offered to pay for the new chair. She said she will tell her girlfriend not to use the new chair.

I will keep the old one for guests, kids, and the cat.

I CANT sleep when I am hot. My husband would agree with you but since he has a clavier attitude about everything breaking, he is being punished with 71 degrees in the house. :lol:

How about going to an automated thermostat so you can set it back easily at night without having to remember to do it every night & morning? Then you can be warmer during the day but cool at night.

My roommate felt bad and offered to pay for the new chair. She said she will tell her girlfriend not to use the new chair.

That is good your roommate is paying for your new chair. The woman that broke it should told you what happen , you could have gotten hurt if the chair had fell apart right from under you.

oh you guys have already discussed?? thats good.

Well...:giggle:...since the 300 lb. lady did not own up to breaking the chair...the next time she comes over...tell her to sit in it again!.....

Yes she does. It was an emergency situation as she lost her home so it was all quick. We used to be roommates 8 years ago.

I just mentioned to her about the situation and she said she will talk to her girlfriend about not sitting on the chairs. It is is awkward and a first for us.

I have never in my lifetime had guests break my furniture so it is all new to me.

The reason I brought it up here is because I was concerned that if I bought a new chair and she breaks it again. I wanted advice on how to prevent that.

Oh boy....
I've never had it happen to me either. The worst I had was a guest bring over small dogs that chewed the legs of my furniture.

I guess the only options for protecting your new chair are:

1. Put it somewhere where no one else can use it, or make it unavailable by keeping your butt in it, or the butt of a family member whenever a large guest shows up.

2. Explain to the roommate that she is financially responsible for whatever she or her guests break.

Oh, one more idea since you mentioned bed bugs:

3. Warn your guest that there might be bed bugs in that chair since you got it used. ;)

Well...:giggle:...since the 300 lb. lady did not own up to breaking the chair...the next time she comes over...tell her to sit in it again!.....
Great idea! Reserve that chair just for her!

I've never had it happen to me either. The worst I had was a guest bring over small dogs that chewed the legs of my furniture.

I guess the only options for protecting your new chair are:

1. Put it somewhere where no one else can use it, or make it unavailable by keeping your butt in it, or the butt of a family member whenever a large guest shows up.

2. Explain to the roommate that she is financially responsible for whatever she or her guests break.

Oh, one more idea since you mentioned bed bugs:

3. Warn your guest that there might be bed bugs in that chair since you got it used. ;)

LOL! I could.

Back