Guests breaking furniture

That is good your roommate is paying for your new chair. The woman that broke it should told you what happen , you could have gotten hurt if the chair had fell apart right from under you.

She is a good person.

I think since my husband saw it, her girlfriend probably thought I would be warned. My husband should have warned me.

Lol

U wont believe what we had to endure to get this new chair! It is a funny story and I took pics. I have to leave soon to drop my husband's SUV at the shop so I will tell you the story and post pics here. So hilarious but we got that chair. So nice and comfortable!

She is a good person.

I think since my husband saw it, her girlfriend probably thought I would be warned. My husband should have warned me.

I disagree , the person that break something in someone house should tell the hostess . If the person was a child I could see them not saying anything but not an adult .

300 lbs is so unhealthy. Why not rent some Gene Simmons workout videos when she is over and sweat to the oldies?

leave diet books in the bathroom?

I know, it might sound mean ... but something has to be done. That is so hard on your back, your heart and your overall health.

Last edited:
Recently, my roommate started dating this lady who is over 300 lbs. She comes over almost every weekend which is not a problem. She is really nice and very respectful. However, she likes to sit on my office chair. I didn't think too much of it.

Yesterday, I was struggling to get my office chair to stay up so I could type on my computer. It would go up but as soon as I sat on it, it would go all the way down. I told my husband about it and he said that my roommate's girlfriend broke it the other day. geeez....we found it on Craigslist for free and it was brand new so it is not like we spent a lot of money on it.

So, last night I searched CL for another one but of course, I wouldn't have the same luck as I did so I just ordered a new one from Amazon.com for $55. Not bad and I hope it is comfortable.

However, the question is that I don't want her sitting on the new office chair for fear of her breaking it. Is it rude for me to ban guests to sit on my office chair? If they happen to sit on it and break it, is it rude to ask them to pay for it?

Thoughts?

That happened when I was obese and desk chair have weight restriction, but if more than weight restriction so it could break the compressed gas pump.

300 lbs is so unhealthy. Why not rent some Gene Simmons workout videos when she is over and sweat to the oldies?

I know, it might sound mean ... but something has to be done. That is so hard on your back, your heart and your overall health.

She is not my girlfriend and not my problem. I already have two children and a husband to worry about.

I disagree , the person that break something in someone house should tell the hostess . If the person was a child I could see them not saying anything but not an adult .

My roommate DID NOT know until I told her. My husband was there with the guest while my roommate and I weren't there so pls read carefully next time.

Guessing the fat lady didn't know she "let the gas out of the chair" either ?? :giggle:..Surely, she could have heard it?...Maybe ur husband did...but was too nice and polite to say anything ??....

Get some cinder blocks for the broken chair...and when she comes over again, she can sit there....:giggle:....*my bad*...

On another note, I'd check the bed for any damage also if she spends the night sometimes....At 300 lbs., bet she can really "shake, rattle & roll"....:giggle:

She knows she's overweight. They all do. They don't need to be told that. We don't know what her overweight issue is whether it's medical, hereditary, medicine or just eating unhealthy. She may have tried to lose weight but is unable to.

Guessing the fat lady didn't know she "let the gas out of the chair" either ?? :giggle:..Surely, she could have heard it?...Maybe ur husband did...but was too nice and polite to say anything ??....

Get some cinder blocks for the broken chair...and when she comes over again, she can sit there....:giggle:....*my bad*...

On another note, I'd check the bed for any damage also if she spends the night sometimes....At 300 lbs., bet she can really "shake, rattle & roll"....:giggle:

She is deaf.

I think there is some confusion so to clarify...the guest is a deaf woman who is dating our deaf roommate. When she stays over, she sleeps with my roommate so if she breaks her bedroom furniture, it is not ours. Lol

Anyways, the computer chair was mine and it was in the living room. The girlfriend sat on it while chatting with my husband. My roommate and I weren't around...maybe not at home or somewhere else in the house.

The point of this thread was to ask all of you what is the right thing to do if a guest breaks furniture.

I forgot to share the funny story of how we got the new chair that was listed on CL but we did get that chair that was in the pic I posted earlier in this thread.

Our chair adventure

After contacting the seller for that chair that I showed you, e agreed for us to pick it up today. He lived about 25 minutes away but due to the freezing rain, it took us about 40 to 45 mins to get there. Just before we got to his area, he texted me saying that we couldn't drive up to his house and to park at the apt complex across the street due to ice. What we didn't expect that the road going to his house was steep and wasn't plowed. As a result, it was inaccessible by vehicle. It was all icy so we had to park a block away because there was a sign at the apt complex saying that any vehicles with no parking permit would be towed. So we had to walk a block and half in the freezing rain, on the ice, endure a slippery steep hike that was just solid ice, and risk falling down to get the chair. That was hilarious! Here are the pics of our adventure after we picked the chair up. Lol

The chair is NICE and comfortable so I told my son and my roommate's kids that they ARE NOT allowed to sit on it and I keep putting it my room after I finish using it. My husband said that I am being silly. I am, for now, lol

Attachments

• chair.jpg
    chair.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 14
  • chair1.jpg
    chair1.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 15
  • chair2.jpg
    chair2.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 14
  • chair3.jpg
    chair3.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 14
My roommate DID NOT know until I told her. My husband was there with the guest while my roommate and I weren't there so pls read carefully next time.

I am talking about the 300 lbs woman, she had to know she broke the chair and should had told your roommate when she did see her.

After contacting the seller for that chair that I showed you, e agreed for us to pick it up today. He lived about 25 minutes away but due to the freezing rain, it took us about 40 to 45 mins to get there. Just before we got to his area, he texted me saying that we couldn't drive up to his house and to park at the apt complex across the street due to ice. What we didn't expect that the road going to his house was steep and wasn't plowed. As a result, it was inaccessible by vehicle. It was all icy so we had to park a block away because there was a sign at the apt complex saying that any vehicles with no parking permit would be towed. So we had to walk a block and half in the freezing rain, on the ice, endure a slippery steep hike that was just solid ice, and risk falling down to get the chair. That was hilarious! Here are the pics of our adventure after we picked the chair up. Lol

The chair is NICE and comfortable so I told my son and my roommate's kids that they ARE NOT allowed to sit on it and I keep putting it my room after I finish using it. My husband said that I am being silly. I am, for now, lol

You could had sat in the chair roll down the hill with it. I am glad you got home OK . I hate driving on icy roads.

You could had sat in the chair roll down the hill with it. I am glad you got home OK . I hate driving on icy roads.

Thanks! My husband drove. He was grumpy this am about having to get up and driving out in the freezing rain. Then, when we discovered that we had to hike up that hill, he was sooo mad! Lol

Thanks! My husband drove. He was grumpy this am about having to get up and driving out in the freezing rain. Then, when we discovered that we had to hike up that hill, he was sooo mad! Lol
Well, maybe this will encourage your hubby to be more protective of this chair so he doesn't have to go thru another chair hunting expedition. :lol:

Well, maybe this will encourage your hubby to be more protective of this chair so he doesn't have to go thru another chair hunting expedition. :lol:

Yeah, Shel90's hubby had to learned a lesson for not telling her about the broken chair. I am sorry that he had to go through especially in the icy raining snow weather. Beside he should have warn her about it in the first place. I guess he might have regret what he had done not telling her about the office chair (old one). :(

:lol:...Guessing he's gonna make sure there isn't a repeat of getting a new chair...so when the fat lady comes back over....he's gonna say..."It's OK if you sing... but ya ain't gonna sit down"...

Seriously, feel the Lady was embarrassed about it all....obese people have a lot of problems with furniture....:giggle:....everybody gets a little parnoid when someone that weighs that much comes to visit....and guessing too...if she fell at your house in one of your chairs and got hurt....Lawsuit!...

Well see about that! I found a good quality TV stand with storage compartments for the TV in our bedroom on CL a few years ago. I made my husband drive over 50 miles on steep and narrow dirt roads on high mountain to get it.

Another time, I found an used RV for a good price on CL and again, I made my husband drive to to check it out. The roads were unpaved and through a mountain in West VA. After checking it out, on the way back we got blocked by a herd of sheep that refused to move off the road. We were stuck on the road for a good hour in the middle of nowhere until the herd finally moved away.

Lol...my poor hubby

Yeah, Shel90's hubby had to learned a lesson for not telling her about the broken chair. I am sorry that he had to go through especially in the icy raining snow weather. Beside he should have warn her about it in the first place. I guess he might have regret what he had done not telling her about the office chair (old one). :(

He never learns his lessons! He is stubborn!

:lol:...Guessing he's gonna make sure there isn't a repeat of getting a new chair...so when the fat lady comes back over....he's gonna say..."It's OK if you sing... but ya ain't gonna sit down"...

Seriously, feel the Lady was embarrassed about it all....obese people have a lot of problems with furniture....:giggle:....everybody gets a little parnoid when someone that weighs that much comes to visit....and guessing too...if she fell at your house in one of your chairs and got hurt....Lawsuit!...

The guest hasn't been over since I discovered the chair being broken. She went out of town for a funeral but I am sure myr roommate will tell her when she returns. Her father passed away so wrong timing to say anything to her.

Back