Getting past captchas

CJB

Reaction score
I know captchas are designed to block out bots from spamming sites and blogs...but they bar out blind and deafblind people along with the bots. Needless to say, it really pisses me off! :mad2:

What do you do when you have a captcha you can't get past and there are no sighted or hearing people around? I usually try to see if there is an administrator I can contact, but often times either no one replies or I can't find an email address.

Any suggestions on what to do then? :ty:

I forgot to add that when I link the page to a friend online, the captcha refreshes itself.

I don't know

I supposedly have 20/20 vision, and I fail just about every captcha 2-3 times before getting it right. And the audio they use often is too difficult to understand too. I usually grab a group of people and we all guess at what it says...
Good luck.

A captcha is a graphic (sometimes with an audio option) with a field to type in what you see (or hear). Forums usually make you fill one out to make sure you're a human and not a bot.

Image of a captcha

Now I understand. I have vision in one eye and can usually get those. I am frustrated when I have to repeat 3 or 4 times. So I can imagine you would be furious if you can't see them at all.

Pretty much. And I can't hear the audio alternative either. :mad2:

It happens to me 1 out of 100 times when I get a captcha that's hard to read. I just refresh the page until it's readable. :)

I think this is one of those where the deafblind are such a small minority, no one is aware of them. So frustrating.

Some captcha generators I can read, others I can't at all-- and so far... I counted about 21 different types of generators.

I think this is one of those where the deafblind are such a small minority, no one is aware of them. So frustrating.

Some captcha generators I can read, others I can't at all-- and so far... I counted about 21 different types of generators.

Since even many sighted or hearing people have trouble deciphering captchas, they should stick to the "type the word instinct" type captchas. Accessible and decipherable to all.

I got that yesterday when I signed up for a YouTube account. I failed all and I was asked to type my mobile phone number in so I could get the code to type in. :roll:

I got that yesterday when I signed up for a YouTube account. I failed all and I was asked to type my mobile phone number in so I could get the code to type in. :roll:

Are you serious? They ask for cell phone numbers now? Next they'll ask for a complete medical history. :roll:

Are you serious? They ask for cell phone numbers now? Next they'll ask for a complete medical history. :roll:

They do that on a few websites now. Facebook and Twitter for activation. Easier for them rather than using captchas.

Most captcha scripts have an option that allows the host of the site to set how difficult they are to read.

Some are very easy to read with just letters and numbers that are angled. While others are made of more squiggly lines in front of a a wild patterned background.

Here's a few examples:
22827-captcha_creator_php_script.gif

Unfortunately until a better method of blocking spam bots is devised we're going to run into this problem. I happen to have good vision and even I have a problem with some of them. Sometimes you might be able to ask the host of the site if they can adjust it's visibility but I'd imagine many won't because they want that extra security.

Hmm, I'll talk to a couple of tech people I know about this and see what they have to say.

RonJaxon said:
Sometimes you might be able to ask the host of the site if they can adjust it's visibility but I'd imagine many won't because they want that extra security.
Unfortunately I'm blind so even the easiest to read captchas won't help me the least bit. Appreciate the thought though.

Only in a text format.

Captchas are picture-generated. I would be interested to learn how the deafblind get around it though.

Only in a text format.

Captchas are picture-generated. I would be interested to learn how the deafblind get around it though.

The reason I created this thread is because as a deafblind person, I can't get around them. I think the only deafblind people that can are ones that have enough useful vision to see the captcha. The text ones where you're asked a simple question or math equation are the only captchas I can get past.

Back