Getting past captchas

There's also a program that Windows has that magnifies whatever the "magnifing cursor" is over. It's like a small window on your computer screen that shows you an enlarged version.

So, if you need to see something larger for one thing... you can use that program. :)

(It's under "Accessibility".)

:gpost:

Magnification and programs like Zoomtext are very helpful for a lot of low vision and legally blind people.

Unfortunately I'm too blind for magnification. :giggle: I use a screen reader.

There's also a program that Windows has that magnifies whatever the "magnifing cursor" is over. It's like a small window on your computer screen that shows you an enlarged version.

So, if you need to see something larger for one thing... you can use that program. :)

(It's under "Accessibility".)

Does that mean you need to use Internet Explorer? Also where is "Accessibility"?

Accessibility can be found in your control panel.

Where it is depends on what version of Windows you have. Let me know and I'll give you a more detailed map to it.

But I'm on Vista so I find it at:

Start menu / Control panel / Ease of access / Ease of Access Center

Here's you'll see a link that says "Start Magnifier". The magnifier window will open up at the top of your screen and show the area around your cursor magnified. You can set how strong it magnifies (2x 4x etc...)

To turn it off just close the magnifier window.

I hope that helps.

Good posts, however the biggest goal for every deafblind is be functionally independent. Anything that step on our independence is viewed as a threat, at least with the ones I know of anyway.

So while someone else can read the captchas for us, it is still insulting to those that want to retain that independence.

Good posts, however the biggest goal for every deafblind is be functionally independent. Anything that step on our independence is viewed as a threat, at least with the ones I know of anyway.

So while someone else can read the captchas for us, it is still insulting to those that want to retain that independence.

:gpost: This is exactly why I created this thread. I'm interested in knowing how I can get past a captcha without the help of a sighted or hearing person.

:gpost: This is exactly why I created this thread. I'm interested in knowing how I can get past a captcha without the help of a sighted or hearing person.

You have every right to expect that independence.

Does that mean you need to use Internet Explorer? Also where is "Accessibility"?
Start - Programs - Accessories - Accessibility - Magnifier

I'm using Windows XP. I might be the same for Windows Vista. :dunno:

I don't use Internet Explorer except for work.

I use Firefox.

I've seen captchas with little dogs/cats graphics among the letters/numbers, oh that was annoying! it was on a downloading site too.. not megaupload, but another one. They did switch to a different captcha system that's more readable.

I come across captchas a LOT on facebook with a variety of applications, ahhh.

I've seen captchas with little dogs/cats graphics among the letters/numbers, oh that was annoying! it was on a downloading site too.. not megaupload, but another one. They did switch to a different captcha system that's more readable.

I come across captchas a LOT on facebook with a variety of applications, ahhh.

My bank uses an image as a measure of security. When I go to the bank I always let them know their system of security leaves out blind people.

My bank uses an image as a measure of security. When I go to the bank I always let them know their system of security leaves out blind people.
I find it somewhat ironic that banks have braille on their driveup ATM machines.

Are you serious? They ask for cell phone numbers now? Next they'll ask for a complete medical history. :roll:

Complete medical history has nothing with internet.

Youtube has other options that you can use cell phone number instead of captchas.

I find it somewhat ironic that banks have braille on their driveup ATM machines.

because it was cheaper and more practical to manufacture one set for ATM machines since adding braille on it costs a few pennies for them while it would cost them several thousand dollars to produce 2 different versions - braille and braille-less version.

Start - Programs - Accessories - Accessibility - Magnifier

I'm using Windows XP. I might be the same for Windows Vista. :dunno:

I don't use Internet Explorer except for work.

I use Firefox.

On Vista...

Start - Programs - Accessories - Ease of Access - Magnifier

any picture will be read as "picture" in braille machine

* nods *

Unless there is an ALT tag, then it replace the pictures with the ALT tag. I make sure every picture in my blog has an ALT tag that describe what the pictures are.

The problem with using the ALT tag with captchas though is that people can data-mine the ALT tag to bypass it.

* nods *

Unless there is an ALT tag, then it replace the pictures with the ALT tag. I make sure every picture in my blog has an ALT tag that describe what the pictures are.

The problem with using the ALT tag with captchas though is that people can data-mine the ALT tag to bypass it.

really?? that's interesting!

That's how the deafblind can use emoticons on forums. To see ALT tags in the work... if you hover your mouse over: :ty:

It will show as "Thank You." In a text-only browser or Braille reader, it will be substituted with "Thank You."

Yep. Sometimes it will read the image as whatever the file name is. I don't know if there's a way to check it without a screen reader but it works on the NFB website for example.

Complete medical history has nothing with internet.

Youtube has other options that you can use cell phone number instead of captchas.
Uh. YouTube did not give me any option such as receiving the code via the mobile phone. All I kept getting was all errors (probably after 10 attempts) and the page came up asking me type in my mobile number.

Uh. YouTube did not give me any option such as receiving the code via the mobile phone. All I kept getting was all errors (probably after 10 attempts) and the page came up asking me type in my mobile number.
Sounds like YouTube is harvesting cell phone numbers. That sucks.

Back