Getting past captchas

I know captchas are designed to block out bots from spamming sites and blogs...but they bar out blind and deafblind people along with the bots. Needless to say, it really pisses me off! :mad2:

What do you do when you have a captcha you can't get past and there are no sighted or hearing people around? I usually try to see if there is an administrator I can contact, but often times either no one replies or I can't find an email address.

Any suggestions on what to do then? :ty:

the best way is to use an instant messenger and learn how to use a scren cap , I know hard when your blind and send the file to someone who can read it for you I think the captcha problem is only going to get worse because the bots are getting better PIA if you ask me

the best way is to use an instant messenger and learn how to use a scren cap , I know hard when your blind and send the file to someone who can read it for you I think the captcha problem is only going to get worse because the bots are getting better PIA if you ask me

:ty:

How do I do screen cap?

I think I just thought up a solution to this problem. Well, at least a method to use for the deaf/blind. It will still require you to get help from someone else but they don't have to be there with you. So for example if you're deaf/blind and you're home alone. If you have a friend on line they could tell you what you need to enter to get past the captcha.

Here's the idea. You can download a webcam software that let's you broadcast your desktop (The screen on your computer). So if you need someone to tell you what to enter in a captcha. Get in a webcam chat with them (You don't need a webcam) and broadcast your computer screen to them. Open the page that has the captcha and your friend will be able to see it on their computer screen. Then they can tell you what to enter in the captcha.

I use a free webcam program called manycam. It's a pretty neat little program. If you try it here's how to turn on the screen capture that you can show your friend.

Open Manycam.
Click the "Sources" tab.
Click "Desktop"

Now you can select to send them your entire desktop. Which means your friend in the webcam chat will be able to see your entire computer screen.

You can select "Partial Desktop" which means your friend will see only the area around your mouse cursor. So if you bring your cursor to the captcha they'll get a close up of it.

You can also select "Custom Desktop" which means you'll create a box on your computer screen and they'll only see what's on your computer screen in the area you created the box (The area that has the captcha in this case).

Like I said, I know it's not the best but it's just one solution that came to mind so I thought I'd share it.

When installing the manycam. Uncheck any additional offers they offer you such as "Ask" or "Norton security check". They won't hurt anything but if you don't want them it'll save you the hassle of having to remove them later. So pay attention and read during installation. Not just with manycam but with any program you install. Manycam is safe though.

Ron Jaxon

CJB, what software do you use to view the internet? I am quite curious. What about websites that use Flash or AJAX technology? How do you access as a deaf-blind?

I know captchas are designed to block out bots from spamming sites and blogs...but they bar out blind and deafblind people along with the bots. Needless to say, it really pisses me off! :mad2:

What do you do when you have a captcha you can't get past and there are no sighted or hearing people around? I usually try to see if there is an administrator I can contact, but often times either no one replies or I can't find an email address.

Any suggestions on what to do then? :ty:

I agree with you about Captchas. I am not blind but I HATE captchas with a passion simply because they are HARD to read. It often takes me several tries before I succeed. Annoying and wastes my time.

I don't know how to get around a captcha except to ask a sighted person to help you get past a captcha. Sorry.

If no one mentioned this already, Captchas have sound options for people who can't see very well. But since you are HOH, I know it is difficult so I don't know what you can do except email the owner of that site and let him know that you are deafblind.

Even I had trouble making out the letters in Captchas.. I had to keep getting another captchas so I hate them too.

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/projects/asirra/ <----- people do this as well, but I wonder what option would be best for deafblind. I know a blind person can distinish sounds (meow, meow, woof, meow) and select all that are cats. Maybe instead of pictures and sounds, they can list the things in words that relate to a cat: furry, meow, bark (in this case, you don't select it), litterbox... well anyway, I hope there will be solution for them.

Hmm, another thought came to mind and this is just that. A thought.

In my mind I see technology that exists working together for this.

1 - A braille phone
2 - Voice Recognition on the brain phone.

On the captcha's that do have the choice to hear the capcha. The voice recognition reads this and turns it to text. Then you can read it via braille from the phone.

I know that's touchy because voice recognition is still far from perfect. But when the technology advances this would be an ideal solution.The purpose of the capcha on the website will still serve it's purpose because you'll be using an external "Listening" devise to get it.

Ron Jaxon

I'm sighted but I hate those captchas. I often don't get them right so I go thru several captchas.

I have just one thing to say to whoever invented captchas: DIE! :rl: :smash: :rifle:

Back