Gallaudet President Announced!!

SilverPanda

Reaction score
Jane Fernandes is now the new Gallaudet President. Wow I am really shocked! I was hoping that Ron Stern would win.

I spoke with one of my friends at Gally and she said they're having a protest right now.

:gossip:

janekfernandes.jpg

Gallaudet President Announced!

Jane Fernandes is now the new Gallaudet President. Wow I am really shocked! I was hoping that Ron Stern would win.

I spoke with one of my friends at Gally and she said they're having a protest right now.

cross posted in DeafNews

Gallaudet Shuts Down By Students

SilverPanda said:

cross posted in DeafNews

Yes, there is a repeat performance of 1988....

:whistle:

Holy shit...Jane is the hearing woman who is president at Gallaudet U ? YAY the NEXT DPN!!!!! 2006

Why are they protesting against her? I dont know anything about her but can someone tell me why Gally students arent happy with the selection?

Gemtun said:
Why are they protesting against her? I dont know anything about her but can someone tell me why Gally students arent happy with the selection?
I am wondering the same too. I don't know anything about her either.

SilverPanda said:
She's deaf but grew up in a mainstreamed world.

Oh is that why some deaf students are having a protest right now?

What's wrong with her growing up in a mainstreamed school?

HippieSnow05 said:
Holy shit...Jane is the hearing woman who is president at Gallaudet U ? YAY the NEXT DPN!!!!! 2006

First someone else said she is deaf and now you're saying she's hearing

My goodness I'm getting lost every minute here,

^Angel^ said:
Oh is that why some deaf students are having a protest right now?

What's wrong with her growing up in a mainstreamed school?

I'm not sure but I think it has to do with her way of doing things. I know that Gallaudet students wanted someone to bring back Deaf culture to Gallaudet, to preserve the ASL language, so forth and Jane will not be doing that. My friend said that she thinks that Jane will try to open Gallaudet up to other students like maybe more hearing students, more of total communication rather than just focusing on Deaf pride. I think it pretty much has to do with Deaf pride.

Also some students said that Jane tends to look down at them.

SilverPanda said:
I'm not sure but I think it has to do with her way of doing things. I know that Gallaudet students wanted someone to bring back Deaf culture to Gallaudet, to preserve the ASL language, so forth and Jane will not be doing that. My friend said that she thinks that Jane will try to open Gallaudet up to other students like maybe more hearing students, more of total communication rather than just focusing on Deaf pride. I think it pretty much has to do with Deaf pride.

Also some students said that Jane tends to look down at them.

So you are saying that Jane tends to patronize Deaf culture and Deaf people?

Gemtun said:
So you are saying that Jane tends to patronize Deaf culture and Deaf people?

I don't think she intentionally does that but she doesn't have good social skills with deaf people and they feel intimitated by her. I'm not sure. I'm waiting for more info from my friend.

^Angel^ said:
First someone else said she is deaf and now you're saying she's hearing

My goodness I'm getting lost every minute here,

No she is deaf but look at the lowercase "deaf" not "Deaf".

Dear Gally Students,

If you do not like Jane Fernandes as your Gally President, you need to inform your academic advisor about arrangment in transfering your credits to another university. It would wake up Board of Trustees.....

So they want someone who is Deaf? what wrong with deaf or hard of hearing?

^Angel^ said:

I personally don't have a problem with it either, as long as the job is done right and good. But it's the same thing that happened in 1988 with DPN.

^Angel^ said:

Are you missing something?

Jane Fernandes graduated from the high school as an oralist. She did not bother to learn the ASL until her late twenties. Of course, she has the same views that she have learnt from the audisms...

What do you think why Gally students want to protest....

Back