Furries across the US...

HokuAhi

Reaction score
Wirelessly posted

I'm just curious as to how furries are on this site... Deaf, hoh, hearing students, CODAs... I'm a hearing student who just happens to be a wolfcat of sorts...
How do you ID yourself in the community and what animal do you see yourself?

PS
forgive me if I left anyone out from from either communities...

I'm not sure I'm a furrie but I have 7 furries.

I am sure you are not! CSI did a show about that one time.

The are adult people who dress up like animals and enjoy pretending a lot...

Thank you.

Then I am not one. I am only a furmom to 7 furbabies.

Why was this thread started in the sign language/oralism thread? I'm guessing that was intentionally rude on the OP's part.

Nope, not a furrier here.

Dunno....maybe ask Grummer as I saw his pix and he was dressed up like Peter Cotton Tail....:giggle:...dunno if he was singing/signing..."Oh...I'm the Great Prentender".....

And a "furrier"...thought it meant someone who cleans or dry cleans Furs....

Wirelessly posted

csi did do an episode about furries but that is a darker side of furries.
not all furries are ad such. please don't judge.
I created this because I found a furry that my husband met on this site so I was wondering if there was more.
the furries I have met and are in association with are part of a charity organization to help to save other animals. more importantly almost extinct animals.
yes we do dress up in fur suits but just because we do that does not mean we are demented.
don't judge everything but what you see on TV

Wirelessly posted

I should probably clarify, my husband met this furry off site, I met the furry on site....

Well, in Pittsburgh there is a big Furry Convention that happens every year. There is a big misconception of what a furry is and isn't. You don't have to dress up in costume to be a furry.

Here is a good article from the AnthroCon website:

"
"If you as an adult still occasionally like to flip to the old cartoons, or have a stuffed animal sitting on the dashboard of your car, or buy cereal because it has a cool tiger on the box, you may well enjoy what our fandom has to offer."
Anthropomorphic or “humanized” animals have been with us since the dawn of civilization. From the gods of ancient Egypt to the advertising icons of the modern day, people of every culture have created fanciful creatures simply by imbuing animals with human traits. Only within the last two decades has anthropomorphic or “Furry” fandom been recognized as a distinct fan-base in its own right. Fans are found in all corners of the world, and come from all races and ages and creeds. We are bound together across the most daunting barriers by our mutual admiration for these beasts of myth and legend who, by simple reflection, give us a better window into ourselves.
A large number of anthropomorphics fans are employed in scientific or technical fields. A significant percentage have college diplomas and many of those hold advanced degrees. This, perhaps, is what leads many casual observers to raise an eyebrow. “Why would someone like this be into cartoon animals? Isn’t that unusual?” If we look at the world around us, however, we will see that anthropomorphized animals are an integral part of our culture. We use them to represent our political parties. We talk to our dogs (and some even imagine they talk back, though in their own way). We put a tiger in our tank. We cheer for mascots—anthropomorphic animals dressed in team uniforms—at our favorite sporting events. Our casual observer may simply be unaware that it is only in the last forty years that cartoons and cartoon animals have been relegated to the world of children. Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, and their ilk were once targeted primarily to an adult audience, their productions filled with innuendo and biting political satire. Fans of anthropomorphics today simply have not forgotten those roots. The average Furry fan is cast from the same mold as the science fiction or sword-and-sorcery fan; all of us imagine strange and thrilling worlds and try to picture ourselves living in those worlds.
Today, Furry fandom is instead an artistic and literary genre that is practiced and enjoyed by tens of thousands worldwide. We count among our ranks professional sports mascots, animators, cartoonists, puppeteers, artists, illustrators, and writers, as well as those who simply think that it would be a wonderful thing if animals could walk or talk like we do. If you as an adult still occasionally like to flip to the old cartoons, or have a stuffed animal sitting on the dashboard of your car, or buy cereal because it has a cool tiger on the box, you may well enjoy what our fandom has to offer. We invite you to visit any one of our many gatherings worldwide to see for yourself what Furry fandom is really all about."

On another note there is a large group including myself going to this convention and meeting. I am actually a bit nervous! My signing capabilities are really sub par! But, one very wonderful thing is, they are providing an interp at all of the 'big' events! There will also be volunteers interp for groups if we decide to go to panels together. They provide us with everything we need, and I really do enjoy it!

Wirelessly posted

thank you... that was well written... whether it was copy and paste ( which, thank you for taking the time to do so) or written in your own words, that was better than what I could have written, but still in the same context as what I would've tried to say.
so thank you.

Last edited:

The first thing that came to mind was this sexual fetish. Rather odd to post it in the sign language section. :confused:

The first thing that came to mind was this sexual fetish. Rather odd to post it in the sign language section. :confused:

It's not! I mean there people who are like that..but being a furry isn't THAT!

It's not! I mean there people who are like that..but being a furry isn't THAT!

I'm certainly not judging, to each their own...

What I was referring to was that it's odd you posted this in the sign language and Oralism sub-forum rather than the "late night" or "Penisarium" or whatever it's called. :dunno:

I'm certainly not judging, to each their own...

What I was referring to was that it's odd you posted this in the sign language and Oralism sub-forum rather than the "late night" or "Penisarium" or whatever it's called. :dunno:

I wasn't the one who posted it. But I understand. =P I was just saying. It's a common misconception. And everytime.. I start flailing NUUUUUUUU!

Put it this way, if it was even remotely like anything CSI portrayed, I would not take my kids within a mile of the events. Keep in mind what happens in public, AKA real life is much different from what happens on the internet or in peoples own bedrooms, hotel rooms or on a fictional TV program etc.
Come to the con, its a lot of fun. only a small percentage of the fandom actually fursuits.. Really its no different in general concept that say , Anime, Manga, Renaissance festivals, Trekie or Si Fi conventions etc..

My daughter is 6 and had a wonderfurl time at Califur a few weeks ago.

i saw csi all these people dressed up as animals they took it serious,i would be tiger

Back