Frustrated With My University

iMaisie

Resident Glaswegian
Reaction score
Honestly frustrated is putting it lightly...

The manner in which my uni conducts themself is infuriating.

Basically, I've never used a terp before, right? I tend to just have a note taker who when the lecturer starts talking, my note taker basically writes the important parts down for me and the rest I can pretty much find on the system online as they always put the course notes up on there.

Well, this one lecturer has an issue with technology and refuses to upload anything. So now, I've requested a terp as I can't take it anymore. I've asked a million times if he would kindly upload his notes for the class but he says no.

Anyways, so, request done - submitted. They email a few days later saying I should've requested at the beginning of the term and it can't be done now :mad:

Grrrr. So I'm basically out of luck and I have no idea what to do and this was meant to be w straight forward question but turned into a rant...

Did the asshole state what his issue with tech is?
Not that it matters too much but it's curious....

Could you record what the lecturer is saying ? That is weird they don't like technology and teach in an university you would they would love it .

Did the asshole state what his issue with tech is?
Not that it matters too much but it's curious....

Basically that it's not his job to make our lives easier by uploading his notes, and that he lectures classes for a reason. He loves to go on and on about how we rely on technology too much but honestly, tech is my saviour :bowdown:- without it, I'd basically be failing all my classes.

He's also one of those know-it-alls as I've told him several times to repeat himself when we are speaking with each other but he doesn't seem to get it, and gives the old - "Oh, But my nephew got something in his brain (I'm assuming he's referring to a C.I) and he's all better now" :blah:
So then he's like "if you really wanted to pass my class, you might think about doing that"

Ugh. He's so ignorant and just doesn't get it :pissed:

Basically that it's not his job to make our lives easier by uploading his notes, and that he lectures classes for a reason. He loves to go on and on about how we rely on technology too much but honestly, tech is my saviour :bowdown:- without it, I'd basically be failing all my classes.

He's also one of those know-it-alls as I've told him several times to repeat himself when we are speaking with each other but he doesn't seem to get it, and gives the old - "Oh, But my nephew got something in his brain (I'm assuming he's referring to a C.I) and he's all better now" :blah:
So then he's like "if you really wanted to pass my class, you might think about doing that"

Ugh. He's so ignorant and just doesn't get it :pissed:
OMG! What a jerk ! I had note takers when I was going to college b/c but I didn't like their notes so I took notes too , it wasn't easy trying to follow the teacher and
take notes . I wish was able use some tech to help me. How old is your lecturer he sound like he living in the dark ages !

Wouldn't matter "how old" the lecturer is. There are younger people who would probably do the same thing and are luddites. I have one friend who refuses to get a smart phone. Am sure there are others who avoid technology in general too who are anywhere between the ages of 18 and 100.

No idea how I can help but surprised they say that you should have requested at the beginning of the term. Standard I guess but I would think they could find an interpreter with 2 weeks notice. I don't know when your term ends so that may be another factor (in the US most universities/colleges end the semester around May).

OMG! What a jerk ! I had note takers when I was going to college b/c but I didn't like their notes so I took notes too , it wasn't easy trying to follow the teacher and
take notes . I wish was able use some tech to help me. How old is your lecturer he sound like he living in the dark ages !

He's pretty old. I'd say somewhere around 60-65. He's pretty set in his ways.

Yeah, he's a total jerk face. Some of his comments are just so ignorant and can be quite hurtful and even derogatory.

Wouldn't matter "how old" the lecturer is. There are younger people who would probably do the same thing and are luddites. I have one friend who refuses to get a smart phone. Am sure there are others who avoid technology in general too who are anywhere between the ages of 18 and 100.

No idea how I can help but surprised they say that you should have requested at the beginning of the term. Standard I guess but I would think they could find an interpreter with 2 weeks notice. I don't know when your term ends so that may be another factor (in the US most universities/colleges end the semester around May).

Our term ends in the middle of June. But the university says that their policy is that all 'additional support needs' request forms have to be submitted by the start of each term, which mine wasn't.

So, my only options is to source one outwith the Uni, but they are extremely expensive :(

He's pretty old. I'd say somewhere around 60-65. He's pretty set in his ways.

Yeah, he's a total jerk face. Some of his comments are just so ignorant and can be quite hurtful and even derogatory.

Our term ends in the middle of June. But the university says that their policy is that all 'additional support needs' request forms have to be submitted by the start of each term, which mine wasn't.

So, my only options is to source one outwith the Uni, but they are extremely expensive :(
Gee thanks! I must be an antique , I will be 70 yo this ! LOL! How many more terms do needs to take and do you have ask 'additional support needs' for each term?
I don't think I asked for a note take at the start of my first term in college and I got one.

Gee thanks! I must be an antique , I will be 70 yo this ! LOL! How many more terms do needs to take and do you have ask 'additional support needs' for each term?
I don't think I asked for a note take at the start of my first term in college and I got one.

Lol! Sorry about that. I'm sure you're aging like a fine wine - better with age :cheers:

Technically he's old to me as I'm only 21.

Yes, we have to fill out request forms every term for any additional help (note taker, terp, etc..) otherwise they'll assume we don't need anything.

I wish you could say "It is against the law not to provide me with the interpreter". It is against the law here in America.

Lol! Sorry about that. I'm sure you're aging like a fine wine - better with age :cheers:

Technically he's old to me as I'm only 21.

Yes, we have to fill out request forms every term for any additional help (note taker, terp, etc..) otherwise they'll assume we don't need anything.
Ok you're off the hook ! 60 -65 would had been old to me too at your age ! I thought you were a older you sound mature for your age.

Can you just withdraw the class and re-take it, this time with putting in a request in advance before the class starts? The drawback is paying for the class again, I know ....

Yeah must of been a hole in the head re his nephew
Meh

I wish you could say "It is against the law not to provide me with the interpreter". It is against the law here in America.

Tell me about it. As far as I'm aware it doesn't infringe on my rights because the Uni believe they gave me the chance at the start of the term and I 'didn't take it'.

Ok you're off the hook ! 60 -65 would had been old to me too at your age ! I thought you were a older you sound mature for your age.

Haha! Thank you :D That's nice to hear considering most people I know say I'm very immature for my age as I'm very playful and I enjoy younger hobbies such as Pokemon.

Can you just withdraw the class and re-take it, this time with putting in a request in advance before the class starts? The drawback is paying for the class again, I know ....

I was considering that but that means I'd have to take a different class to make up the credits in order to get into next year and I'm unsure if I can just jump into a different class as I'm already a good few weeks into the term.

Tell me about it. As far as I'm aware it doesn't infringe on my rights because the Uni believe they gave me the chance at the start of the term and I 'didn't take it'.

Haha! Thank you :D That's nice to hear considering most people I know say I'm very immature for my age as I'm very playful and I enjoy younger hobbies such as Pokemon.

I was considering that but that means I'd have to take a different class to make up the credits in order to get into next year and I'm unsure if I can just jump into a different class as I'm already a good few weeks into the term.
I know a guy that in his 40's and he the Muppets ! I do too. There is nothing with being playful don't worry about other people say. :)

Could the fact that you found out that he would NOT upload notes after the class started help with your appeal?

I understand, and I realized after my post that you also are not in the US, so that makes things different too. Frustrating, I know.

Luddites come in all ages but they more inclined to be elderly.

Some instructors don't allow recording of their lectures. Some for liability reasons, some for copyright reasons.

Luddites come in all ages but they more inclined to be elderly.

Some instructors don't allow recording of their lectures. Some for liability reasons, some for copyright reasons.
How would it a liability, I believe you , I am not sure this work , I can understand the copyright reasons. You would instructors would want to help their students
do their best .

Back