florida deaf community?

DPHH tmw night @ Mardi Gras in St A:)
Just a reminder.

Hello Maria ~~

Have you checked the deaf events in your area lately? If you did, how was it? Also I found another website for Silent Dinner and Coffee Shop in Fort Meyers area.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DSCevents/cal

How do you like living in Fort Meyers so far?

Hello Floridians,

Is there any event to attend in Fort Myers for the month of September ? I would like to meet you guys. My significant other would love to meet new deaf friends, so he can learn their culture and ASL.

Hopefully, some of you can provide some answers. Many thanks! :)

Anyway I looked up on google for your area for deaf. I found a website you might be interesting on check on those out. Try click on Community Events. Also it has all kinds of services going on there. Wish you a good luck.

Deaf Service Center of Southwest Florida

It is in Lady Lake, Florida. Deaf / HH 60 residents live in Village. I went there, wow they have restruants, golf, salon, events, etc. etc.... Many eldery deaf people love their life in Village. Their homes are so beautiful but house insurance cost 3,000 to 4,000 a year. Yikes :shock:

Yep, The Villages is very nice, peaceful yet quite expensive place to live! They have everything that you could think of. Now there are 80 deaf/HoH residents, last time I was told. But later in this month my wife and I will visit over a friend there so will ask her bit more. Check for more info and you can register for a free "tour" DVD (no cc) at...

The Villages - Florida's Friendliest Retirement Hometown

Used to live, work, and play golf at a golf resort right by a large lake (Indiana) where my parents once lived. Boy, I missed the fun times yet wasn't so crazy about golfing but do like it so maybe I will return to golfing someday. lol

Jax DPHH
Sneaker's Bar & Grille
8133 Pointe Meadows Dr.
Jacksonville, FL 32256
Saturday, January 24, 2009 at 9:00pm

^ I live in Orange Park which is part of JAX. I would love to attend this event. Has anyone been to the Saturday meeting that is held for the deaf people here in JAX?

tampa florida deaf community?

Hello everyone i am also planning on moving to the tampa area and was wondering ... i know from what everyone says there is biiiig deaf community in tampa/clearwater area but what is the majority age group ... I am 24 and my girlfriend is 22 is there a lot around our age? 20s or so ? thanks !

FYI- I will be in Brooksville area for a week this Saturday the 24th :)
*the hour drive to Tampa is all clean, quiet expressway. I dont mind it. *
That is if anyone want coffee, lunch ect ect.

^ I live in Orange Park which is part of JAX. I would love to attend this event. Has anyone been to the Saturday meeting that is held for the deaf people here in JAX?

Which Saturday meeting, and what is it about?

Once again, don't forget we have our first JAXDPHH near 9A and Baymeadows Rd at Sneakers this Saturday. That means you and your wife too, Web730! :)

Freddie is the DPHH host. He's a very nice guy so feel free to chat him up there.

Jax DPHH
Sneaker's Bar & Grille
8133 Point Meadows Dr
Jacksonville, FL 32256
Saturday, January 24, 2009 at 9:00pm (can just come anytime before 9, too)

They got a couple of pool tables and some TVs.

Any Deaf Events in Florida for rest of 2009?

Hello...
I'm wondering if there any more deaf events such as Deaf Awareness Day in September or Oct at any of theme parks such as Busch Gardens or Disney World. Let me know since I live in Northwest Florida and we don't hear the news as some of ya'll love close to South Florida. Love to get some updates so I can inform the Deaf Northwest Floridians here.

Melissa :wave:

There will be a big deaf event in Florida this weekend. The NSAD softball tourny in Ft. Lauderdale. My brother is already there now. I was supposed to go but no money and nobody to watch the kids. :(

National Softball Association of the Deaf

I haven't seen a whole lot of meetings available for Deaf meet ups. I've been trying to find some people in the Orlando/Winter Park area and I'm feeling kind of discouraged since I've come up dry. My ASL is so-so, but I seem to be coming up short on places on Orlando for classes other than those offered at a community college (don't have the money right now for formal classes). Am I just blind? I've been wanting to really pursue this, but can't find anyone in the area.

I haven't seen a whole lot of meetings available for Deaf meet ups. I've been trying to find some people in the Orlando/Winter Park area and I'm feeling kind of discouraged since I've come up dry. My ASL is so-so, but I seem to be coming up short on places on Orlando for classes other than those offered at a community college (don't have the money right now for formal classes). Am I just blind? I've been wanting to really pursue this, but can't find anyone in the area.

Hi... I'm from Jax area but attend Orlando seldom and know some deaf people who live in Orlando. I googled and found few links for you to start with.

*There is FSDB's 125th anniversary homecoming game in St. Augustine tonight at 7:00 pm by the way - check for information far bottom.

DPHH Orlando (plus national DPHH events)
DPHH: Orlando, FL

More details here... lot more of deaf gatherings
DPHH-CF .:::. Deaf Professional Happy Hour of Central Florida

SILENT DINNER at Fashion Square Mall (deaf gathering) and more...
Upcoming Events | Deaf Talk, LLC

I don't know as if the Orlando Deaf Club still run or not but here is their address at:

Orlando Club for the Deaf
(Loch Haven Neighborhood Center)
610 N. Lake Formosa Dr.
Orlando, Fl. 32804

Once you have the access, it gets easier for you to pick up.

*For more information on FSDB's 125th anniversary homecoming football game tonight at 7:00 pm in St. Augustine where lot of deaf and hearing people will be attending... http://www.fsdb.k12.fl.us/homecoming_deaf/

Damn it, I completely froze up trying to attend the meetup at Fashion Square. I saw all those people there and I just felt everything go blank. I couldn't bring myself to even say, "Hi." I'm sure they all think I was just some weirdo hearing person. I'm usually not a shy person, but come new culture and people and I lock up like an old beat-up car. :(

I'm hard of hearing in the st pete area and haven't really noticed an abundance of deaf people but at the same time I guess I really don't know where to look

the deaf people in south florida are probably old late-deafened people who don't sign. :dunno: i grew up in south florida, and i don't think i have met more than twenty deaf people who sign during that time.

orlando, st. augustine, and tampa are pretty good.

Back