Eyeglasses

Jolie77

Premium Member
Reaction score
On this past tuesday, I went in for a vision exam. The last time I had one was probably around 5 or 6 years ago. The doctor had warned me that I'd need glasses when I get older. It turns out he was right after all.

For the past couple of weeks, I've noticed my vision was getting to be bothersome. For instance, I could read and see things up close but when it comes to being far ahead, everything is barely a blur. The closed captions on the TV was becoming unreadable for me.

Anyway, After the exam was done - It turns out that I have astigmatism and am a little bit near-sighted. My right eye is at 20/50 and the left eye is at 20/60. The funny thing is, I have never wore eyeglasses in my entire life. I still am trying to get myself accustomed to the idea of having to wear eyeglasses. It feels weird knowing I'd be wearing it.

Are there any good tips as to taking care of eyeglasses, etc? Any feedbacks/opinions would be appreciated.

An eye doctor I used for many years used to say,"On your face, or in the case!" In other words, don't leave them lying around, don't hang them on your shirt front, and don't stick them on top of your head. When you take them off, put them in the case so if they are accidentally knocked off the table, they won't get broken.

And, from experience, I can tell you, never ever clean your lenses when they are dry. Always use a cleaning solution or just water if cleaning solution is available. Cleaning them dry will scratch the lenses, and there is nothing more irritating than a scratch that you have to look through all the time.

Wearing glasses isn't so bad, Jolie. I've had them since I was 8 years old. And glasses are very fashionable now. It may take a bit to get used to them, but before long, you won't even notice that you have them on.

An eye doctor I used for many years used to say,"On your face, or in the case!" In other words, don't leave them lying around, don't hang them on your shirt front, and don't stick them on top of your head. When you take them off, put them in the case so if they are accidentally knocked off the table, they won't get broken.

And, from experience, I can tell you, never ever clean your lenses when they are dry. Always use a cleaning solution or just water if cleaning solution is available. Cleaning them dry will scratch the lenses, and there is nothing more irritating than a scratch that you have to look through all the time.

Wearing glasses isn't so bad, Jolie. I've had them since I was 8 years old. And glasses are very fashionable now. It may take a bit to get used to them, but before long, you won't even notice that you have them on.
I agree... I see people treat their glasses like junk. They leave them laying around, drop them, etc... I've seen people go through 10 glasses a year because they can't take proper care of them. :roll:

:gpost:

I've been wearing glasses since I was almost 2 yr old. I have to say there is a way to clean your glasses without wetting them, though. When I got my newest pair of glasses about 3 mos ago, they gave me a cloth I could use that won't scratch my lenses. They also gave me cleaning solution, too. I've used both, and I personally prefer the cloth. :)

Years ago, I wore contact lenses for about 5 years because I was self-conscious of wearing glasses in my early 20's due to lack of fashion styles. Since my marriage, I've reverted back to glasses as contacts are a nuisance to maintain. Now there are numerous styles/shapes to choose from and believe me, everybody is wearing them. :)

I agree... I see people treat their glasses like junk. They leave them laying around, drop them, etc... I've seen people go through 10 glasses a year because they can't take proper care of them. :roll:

As expensive as my glasses are (I have a wierd prescription in my lenses), I would be walking around half blind because I couldn't afford to replace them that often! In fact, I had my exam in January, and have been slowly saving to get a new pair because my prescription changed. I can't fork out 4-500.00 on a whim.

I've been wearing glasses since I was almost 2 yr old. I have to say there is a way to clean your glasses without wetting them, though. When I got my newest pair of glasses about 3 mos ago, they gave me a cloth I could use that won't scratch my lenses. They also gave me cleaning solution, too. I've used both, and I personally prefer the cloth. :)

I forgot about the cleaning cloth. I was given one, too, but it never seems to be where I am, LOL! I usually carry the disposable moist cloths in my book bag, though.

Years ago, I wore contact lenses for about 5 years because I was self-conscious of wearing glasses in my early 20's due to lack of fashion styles. Since my marriage, I've reverted back to glasses as contacts are a nuisance to maintain. Now there are numerous styles/shapes to choose from and believe me, everybody is wearing them. :)

I tried contacts as a teen-ager, but after wearing them for only a few hours, I would start to see halos around everything. I haven't tried them for years. They say they have improved quite a bit, but like you, I just don't want the trouble of maintaing them.

My friend prefer glass than contact lenses because of infection! :dunno2:

Jolie,

Good thing ya not wearing the 1970s thick black plastic glasses. :giggle:

Glasses of today are more acceptable as there are more choices of styles. Take a good care of glasses. When ya not wearing them, put it away in safe place (in the glasses case).

It will be a less strains for your eyes when ya wearing glasses.

As for me I do wear glasses for driving, classes and tv as well. :)

It depend on your contact lenses' kind. Do you use a soft or hard? If you have an eye infection from contact lenses. Maybe you are wear an expired contact lenses? It must be change every 3 months.

My friend prefer glass than contact lenses because of infection! :dunno2:

I'll have to keep that in mind to put it in the case or leave it on my face because honestly, I'm not far by an organized person. Heck, I even lose my keys from time to time LOL

So you're saying that if the lenses were cleaned while it's dry, there are chances that any little foreign objects could be easily transferred from somewhere else and on to the lenses in order for it to be scratched? Does the lenses get scratched easily, even if nothing was done to it at all? I'm just wondering since I'm learning all about this. My mom has been wearing glasses for as long as I remember but I never had really paid attention to what she does with it because I didn't think it would concern me. Now it does.

When I was choosing out my frame, I didn't even know which one I wanted because there were so many frames to choose from. Some of them were cool but some of them were so uh.... tacky, and doesn't suit me. It's funny because when I narrowed it down to the last 2 frames, I kept looking at the mirror trying to decide between these 2. I was like - I want both of it LOL but I knew I couldn't because I can't afford having 2 of 'em. So, I was thinking "Nah, this one looks so-so" and "Yeah, That looks just great". It was so mind boggling trying to find the exact one I wanted. In the end, I chose one that I thought would suit me in the long run. You're right, I've noticed it becoming in the trend with fashion.

Ah, I'll have to ask them about the cloth. Thanks for the tip :) What kind of fabric is the cloth? Is it soft enough and easy to maintain?

I always wear a style glasses. I started to get first glasses when I was 7 years old. I copied from teenager girl on TV SHOW. I never realize if I can't read very well. It just happened. I really hate the NERD and ugly glasses in 80's and 90's. I don't like the wide with big tank glasses. It's pre Yk2 it changed to small oval glasses for new style. I like the small size oval. I am wearing a style glasses. Color is Black and under is pink! It's brand is Ralph Lauren for women!!! I love it! It look sexy!

I do have a contact lenses. I used to have a hard one. I got an eyes infection from hard one. I got another doctor to understand how I do feeling. I don't want to get a hard one. I must get a soft to comfort for my eyes. Finally, I got my soft contact lenses. I will wear a contact lenses during my wedding day. :)

As expensive as my glasses are (I have a wierd prescription in my lenses), I would be walking around half blind because I couldn't afford to replace them that often! In fact, I had my exam in January, and have been slowly saving to get a new pair because my prescription changed. I can't fork out 4-500.00 on a whim.

That's expensive! I couldn't afford it either if it was at $400 to $500. The funny thing is, I didn't even realize how expensive eyeglasses were. It cost me nearly $200 to get it ordered and made.

There were various kinds of lenses on the list and they recommended the polycarbonate lenses. They also offered an option for the edge to be polished or frosted. I chose to get it frosted.

Jolie,

Good thing ya not wearing the 1970s thick black plastic glasses. :giggle:

Glasses of today are more acceptable as there are more choices of styles. Take a good care of glasses. When ya not wearing them, put it away in safe place (in the glasses case).

It will be a less strains for your eyes when ya wearing glasses.

As for me I do wear glasses for driving, classes and tv as well. :)

Indeed, I'm glad that eyeglasses are in the mainstream now than it was before in any other decades. Certainly, styles changes over the year. It'd be interesting to see what it is like in the future as well.

Yesterday, A co worker who's cubicle was next to me were talking about the eyeglasses and she let me test out her eyeglasses just for the curiosity. When I tried hers, I was like "Whoa! that's really clear and up-close". Of course, I realize every and each eyeglasses are made differently and is specifically designed for this person. So what will work for her won't probably work for me.

My new glasses that I got it last January. My husband bought it for me. It cost about 245 dollars. I always must to have a style eyeglasses! If you can't afford for expensive glasses. You can go to Lens Crafters to get a coupon for 100 dollar off. It's good deal!

That's expensive! I couldn't afford it either if it was at $400 to $500. The funny thing is, I didn't even realize how expensive eyeglasses were. It cost me nearly $200 to get it ordered and made.

There were various kinds of lenses on the list and they recommended the polycarbonate lenses. They also offered an option for the edge to be polished or frosted. I chose to get it frosted.

Ah, I'll have to ask them about the cloth. Thanks for the tip :) What kind of fabric is the cloth? Is it soft enough and easy to maintain?

Very. It's washable. I forget the type of cloth, but it's very soft. I want to say velvet, but that's probably not it. I also use it to clean my moniter, too. I love the thing! :D

You will probably be given a hit to take care of your glasses. I was given the cloth, a case, and cleaning solution.

I have never worn contacts for the simple fact that they would be a nightmare for me. I'm almost blind without my glasses. I can see me trying to find a dropped contact without my glasses on, and only one contact in.

Uh, no thanks. :ugh2:

I tried contacts as a teen-ager, but after wearing them for only a few hours, I would start to see halos around everything. I haven't tried them for years. They say they have improved quite a bit, but like you, I just don't want the trouble of maintaing them.

Ditto. It would be a pain in the ass for me to maintain contacts.

Back