Driving school for Deaf

Reba

Retired Terp
Premium Member
Reaction score
A Deaf friend of mine wants to get a driver's license. This person has never had a license, and has never taken driver's training. This person is 25 years old, so lessons thru high school are not possible. My friend will have to take lessons from a private driving school.

My questions:

1. Have any of you used a private driving school?

2. If yes, did you use an interpreter?

3. If you used a terp, who paid for the terp?

4. If you used a terp, how did you use the terp? (That is, where did the terp sit in the car, etc.)

5. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

I've gone to Sears Driving School. I'm not sure if that's private or not. I didn't have an interpreter nor did I need one. Most of the stuff I learned was from video games and the manual they handed us. I passed the written test with a '84' and the driving test with a '100'. :thumb:

Thanks for responding. :)

VamPyroX said:
I've gone to Sears Driving School. I'm not sure if that's private or not.
Private driving schools mean not government school driving class.

I didn't have an interpreter nor did I need one.
How did your instructor communicate with you while you were driving? For example, when the instructor wanted you to make a turn, or change lanes, how was that communicated?

Reba said:
How did your instructor communicate with you while you were driving? For example, when the instructor wanted you to make a turn, or change lanes, how was that communicated?

Here, it was quite simple...

I had made a sheet with several symbols for the teacher to point at when he want me to do something during the driving lessons.

Contact schools/programs for the Deaf in your area. Also VR counselors for the dhh can help in locating resources and help.

Banjo said:
Here, it was quite simple...

I had made a sheet with several symbols for the teacher to point at when he want me to do something during the driving lessons.
Thanks!

deafdyke said:
Contact schools/programs for the Deaf in your area. Also VR counselors for the dhh can help in locating resources and help.
Thanks for the suggestions.

The school for the Deaf is 200 miles from here, but I will check that out. I didn't know if the school provided help for adults.

I suggested VR to my friend, so that is a possibility.

Well what about local educational programs for the Deaf? Are there any self-contained or regional Deaf programs nearer then the State Deaf School? They may be able to give you advice about how to find a driving school that is experianced with dhh students.

Maybe you should check out ADA law, since I know that commercial services are required to provide interpreter when it is necessary. But, I am not sure if that applies to driving school. :dunno:

No, German consider it as illegal to use private driving school.

No, we have driving school for the deaf. That's why we do not need interpreter.
It's our own problem if we want join hearing driving school.

See above

4. If you used a terp, how did you use the terp? (That is, where did the terp sit in the car, etc.)
Yeah, I thought the same... It's unpossible for deaf to consider terp during driving lesson.
My hubby joined hearing driving school and has no problem without terp because the instructor use body gesture and lipread to make him understand easy.

I can't suggest anything because I don't live in America. It's simple suggestion is go driving school for the deaf because the instructor can sign.

Liebling:-))) said:
No, German consider it as illegal to use private driving school.
Wow!
Americans learn how to drive:
1. high school driving classes
2. family/friends teach them
3. private driving schools

No, we have driving school for the deaf. That's why we do not need interpreter.
Do you mean the instructor is deaf?

Yeah, I thought the same... It's unpossible for deaf to consider terp during driving lesson.
My hubby joined hearing driving school and has no problem without terp because the instructor use body gesture and lipread to make him understand easy.
Did hubby actually look at the instructor's face for lipreading while the car was moving?

I can't suggest anything because I don't live in America. It's simple suggestion is go driving school for the deaf because the instructor can sign.
I'm afraid we don't have deaf driving school here. :(

Well, I went to SEARS Driving school in Irving, Texas (DFW) --- sound like private

No and Yes -- I use one student's mom for trep since he is student same week as me. Take of advanture.... TSK on me

NO NO NO I borrrow his mom! :lol:

hard to explain -- not front seat! She sits back seat but teacher sit front seat... How ?? okay, Teacher told trep to tell us the belief so We follow it prefectly. I think its fun because I just use her as trep. sorry shame on me... yes true

Any suggestions... nope :)

Reba said:
Wow!

Do you mean the instructor is deaf?

No, the instructor is a hearing. She can sign good.

Did hubby actually look at the instructor's face for lipreading while the car was moving?

No, the instructor described my hubby where he should drive etc before go in and the intructor use the newspaper to get my hubby attention. The instructor hand the newspaper to show him where he should drive to "direct, left, turn, stop". It's simple.

I'm afraid we don't have deaf driving school here. :(

No? :eek:

I think it's meaningful for deafies to go driving school for the deaf because it's help deafies to understand more than use interpreter because the deafies can't see interpreter terp when he/she drive.

Reba said:
A Deaf friend of mine wants to get a driver's license. This person has never had a license, and has never taken driver's training. This person is 25 years old, so lessons thru high school are not possible. My friend will have to take lessons from a private driving school.

My questions:

Thanks!
1) Yes
2) They found a hearing driving Instructor who has a deaf wife to come forward to see me as he know sign language, it is a good bonus for me!
3) No, he is interpreter/driving instructor - all in one - no charge extra! Only paid for the normal driving fee like everyone!
4) see answer no 3.
5) Nothing!

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I will pass this on to my friend.

My questions:

No, I used public driving school, City Cross Diriving School

No, I did n't , I checked with them, they have a man who had experineces with deaf drivers. He's too easy and understood by communicating using by notepads and paper sleeves ( written with whiteboard markers)

What terp? What do you mean?

Look above

Nope

Thanks!

The questions is different, I am in Australia, but the answers might help...answers written in BOLD above

My questions:

No, the last time I had driving lessons was in high school in a public school system (late 1980s). I never had to use a private driving school though.

Yes, one of the terps was my teacher for the deaf/HOH and the other terp was just an teacher's aide for the deaf/HOH classes.

The high school paid for the classes.

Both sat in the back....while I was driving in the front with the instructor in the passenger seat. :)

After I passed my driver's class in H.S. and got my license, I am still driving today....and is considered a 'safe driver' since I haven't had any driving lessons or written tests since then. :) I only got renewal notices based on the expiration dates of my D/L. :)

Search out a BSL trained Instructor.

My questions:

Thanks!

Hiya!

I would advise your friend to search out a BSL trained driving Instructor.
At least then there would be some understanding of the way the lessons need to be approached and communication between them would be much better.

There are some out there. I have been teaching Deaf drivers using BSL for 15 years with great success.

Steve Swinton ADI.

Castle Hill School of Motoring www.aditraining123.co.uk

thanks guys for all the informations that i need to know ;)
i got the informations that i need beacause i am learning to drive also
i did learn in HS and did got permit but didn't get license oh well

Depend on state

I took at public school that offer class at night and provide an interpreter for me in during class. No interpreter while driving. It's simple to point there and there.

Back