Driving school for Deaf

Hiya!

I would advise your friend to search out a BSL trained driving Instructor.
At least then there would be some understanding of the way the lessons need to be approached and communication between them would be much better.

There are some out there. I have been teaching Deaf drivers using BSL for 15 years with great success.

Steve Swinton ADI.

Castle Hill School of Motoring www.aditraining123.co.uk
BSL? I'm afraid my friend would end up driving on the wrong side of the road. :lol:

I didn't know where the Driving School for Deaf. I was learned at the Lexington School for the Deaf since 1995-1996. I know learn how to drive a car. But Now I did never go to DMV office. I can't drive a car very long. Maybe I will wait for start drive a car.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Deaf friend of mine wants to get a driver's license. This person has never had a license, and has never taken driver's training. This person is 25 years old, so lessons thru high school are not possible. My friend will have to take lessons from a private driving school.

My questions:

1. Have any of you used a private driving school?

No..I took driver's ed at my public high school without any visual cues. LOL! I know...how did I understand anything? :dunno:

2. If yes, did you use an interpreter?
never

3. If you used a terp, who paid for the terp?

No terp

4. If you used a terp, how did you use the terp? (That is, where did the terp sit in the car, etc.)

I just applied for my driver's license test at the DMV.. first driving test with an instructor, I failed cuz I was trying to read his lips and I ran thru a stop sigh.

2nd time, I passed cuz I learned from my mistakes. Didnt spend a long time looking at the instructor..just kept it to 1 sec

5. Any other suggestions?

never experienced accodomations while taking the driver license tests so I :dunno:

Thanks!

I haven't used a private driving school because I took driver's education course which was provided at the deaf school. I also didn't need an interpreter because the instructor, of course, knew ASL.

When I took the road test, the state police is required to ride with you during the test to see how you maneuver on the road, so and on. That was a little bit confusing because the state police did not know ASL. So, what happened was, prior to the test we were working out on how to communicate instead of writing on pen/paper. We came to a solution and I showed him some simple signs that was needed for the test - ie; right, left, stop, parallel parking and all that. It worked out well and I aced it on the first try.

I don't know how it is for other states but here, the state police makes the scores and will factor the decision to see if you are able to pass or to fail.

As for using an interpreter during this situation - I can't be much of a help because I haven't experienced using an interpreter while taking driver's education.

BSL? I'm afraid my friend would end up driving on the wrong side of the road. :lol:

Hi Reba!

Yes you are right! (I mean correct!) if you know what I mean! :)

I must be going crazy. I did realise that this post was a US post after I had listed my comment. Still you made me smile thanks!

Steve.

Hi Reba!

Yes you are right! (I mean correct!) if you know what I mean! :)

I must be going crazy. I did realise that this post was a US post after I had listed my comment. Still you made me smile thanks!

Steve.
Thanks for being a good sport about it. :P

A Deaf friend of mine wants to get a driver's license. This person has never had a license, and has never taken driver's training. This person is 25 years old, so lessons thru high school are not possible. My friend will have to take lessons from a private driving school.

My questions:

1. Have any of you used a private driving school?

2. If yes, did you use an interpreter?

3. If you used a terp, who paid for the terp?

4. If you used a terp, how did you use the terp? (That is, where did the terp sit in the car, etc.)

5. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Just drive! Geez! If you really wanna know.. Just take a ride with me, and you 'll find out how damn good I am! Haven't had a ticket nor a wreck in 15 damn years, and the same truck I have had for that long... Shoot! I could drive like Dale Earnhardt, and you'd crap in your pants, when I get done taking the checkered flag :) Woo-hoo! There's only 3 drivers in the state of Alabama that can drive...

A) Dale Earnhardt

B) Dale Earnhardt Jr.

C Me !

No wonder these stupid Alabama drivers can't drive for shit! Always wrecking up or getting tickets... I just keep on going! Damn I am GOOD!!!!!

Gotta know how to drive!!!!!!!

IT ALL TOO DAMN EASY MYSELF... BUT FOR YOU WELL I JUST GOTTA SEE HOW YOU DRIVE... THEN I'LL TELL YOU WHAT YOU DOING WRONG :)

Update:

My friend decided not use a professional driving instructor. My friend used a family member for driver training. My friend got a learner's permit. After practicing for a few weeks, my friend totaled the new (less than one year) family car. End of lessons.

Update:

My friend decided not use a professional driving instructor. My friend used a family member for driver training. My friend got a learner's permit. After practicing for a few weeks, my friend totaled the new (less than one year) family car. End of lessons.

All about experience! Your friend, not only totalled the car, but upped the insurance rates! Not good!:(

Back