Does your parents change and that bothers you?

MilitaryGirl83

Reaction score
Well, my dad used to be a open minded person and we would talk about anything in the world. He is a christian but didnt go to chruch regularly. Now my dad has changed alot since he went to this new church and all in a sudden he would not talk to me about certain things. I remember that one time we went to Barnes & Nobles store and I was looking at New Age stuff. I wanted to buy the book about ghosts and hauntings. All in a sudden, my dad crizited on it and about my beliefs. Jeremy has witnessed it also. I went to the bathroom and I was crying. He has hurt my feelings..sigh! My dad talks about religion too much and I am tired of it. I have tried to tell him how I feel that he changed and etc. but I am afraid he ll get mad at me or whatever. I miss of how my dad was before he changed. In every subject we talk about now.. he mentions God .. this and that. I don't mind but too much.. it just annoys me. No offense.. I am a christian but I don't talk about religion all the time. What should I do???? Another part is that I am mad at my dad for forcing me and Jeremy to get married because the bible says that the baby shouldnt be out of wedluck. I mean Jeremy and I love eachother but we didnt want to get married right away cuz of the baby.. WE DIDNT WANT TO GET MARRIED IN THE COURTHOUSE PERIOD!!! We wanted to wait until we save up enough money for a wedding and that we wanted to be enagaged for a while. Oh well, it's too late anyways but we ll have a renewal wedding in a couple of years. Sometimes I would like to scream at my dad!!!!

Do you guys have similar problems or what?

I have never been able to talk to my parents about anything. My dad is just a jerk that gets upset about everything and my mom can't say 2 words without mentioning god.

I don't live that far from my parents but I hardly ever go over there. I moved out when I was 18 and it was the best thing I ever did for myself. I am sorry that you can't talk the way you used to with your dad. I don't even know what that's like. Stand up to your dad and let him know that you will run your own life.

Parents have a hard time letting their kids grow up.

Um Sorry that happened to u Sarah.. U are an adult so you have ur own life to make ur own choice..If your dad doesn't like it too bad for him...

My mom never change so she is her usual self. :thumb:

My Dad is pretty much the same person he still does yell as usual.... :giggle:

I was going to suggest, if you don't mind, pray to God daily to help your father realize what he is doing and to help you know what to do to talk to him about what bothers you.

Your father must be very "old fashioned" in his mind, so it's hard for some people to change that because they did not grow up during this time of century. Some things stays and don't change in their minds.

Well, just go on with your life and look at the positive side of things and pray. That's all I can say, unless you can move out with Jeremy or yourself and your son.

My parents are completely close-minded. They can't enjoy many everyday things. They are against nudity in movies. They are against sex-related and hell-related movies. They are against 2-piece swimsuits. They are against sex before marriage. They are against body piercings, facial piercings, tattoos, alcohol, and smoking. I'm 28 and they still expect me to cover my eyes when there's a nude scene in a movie. They walked out on There's Something About Mary and Me, Myself, & Irene. They don't like Hellraiser, Nightmare on Elm Street, Child's Play, Friday the 13th, and Night of the Living Dead. Now, you see how much I have to endure when I'm visiting them! Argh!

Damn you, Vam, you owe me cleaning costs for spurting coffee through my nose onto the ferkin' keyboard--!
But seriously, one is so lucky to have a Dad who cares so much as to stick his old nose into your business.
*sad smile*
Really.
You are his baby and you always will be, in his mind.
Pleeeease do not be so harsh on him, because one day he will be gone and you will wish with all your heart that he could be there again with his concern.
Deal with it now before it is too late.
Talk with him. Tell him that you appreciate how much he cares about you but that is it time for you to make your own decisions.
It will be hard for him to accept, but keep in mind that since you are his baby, he must ALWAYS be a part of your life.
Leave plenty of room in your life for him.
You will regret it otherwise.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear that your father changed the way he did when he attended church and so forth. :( That's sad. It sucks on how religious bodies are sneakingly convincing people that if they don't convert completely to religion and pray feverishly to God, they'll go to 'Hell'...probably used some kind of scare tactics to scare them into becoming a God fearing person.
I was like that during my Junior year in high school, but thankfully, I had enough sense to realise what was happening and how he was concercing another people to join Christianism...so I pulled out and haven't been involved in any kinds of religions except for Buddhism and Wicca. Those types aren't the pushy types. They just let anyone come in and see for themselves and analyse themselves to sense where they're going next, etc. Decide for themselves not having anyone decide for them.

bye.gif

I hate it how my parents encourage me to find jobs, then complain that my jobs are not good enough.

Oh my god... I'm sorry about this. I have no problem with my parnet but hard to tell cuz I am deaf. Thier are hearing... WELL. You are almost like to my close friend Brandon did this. Now Brandon anger at his stepfather for this. Now Stepfather will be leave him alone all time... If you want to try it or not... That's your choose... I hope change for you

VamPyroX said:
My parents are completely close-minded. They can't enjoy many everyday things. They are against nudity in movies. They are against sex-related and hell-related movies. They are against 2-piece swimsuits. They are against sex before marriage. They are against body piercings, facial piercings, tattoos, alcohol, and smoking.
Your parents are not close-minded. They just have standards. I'm sure they enjoy many everyday things that fit within those standards.

Last edited:
Beowulf said:
Pleeeease do not be so harsh on him, because one day he will be gone and you will wish with all your heart that he could be there again with his concern.
Deal with it now before it is too late.
Talk with him. Tell him that you appreciate how much he cares about you but that is it time for you to make your own decisions.
It will be hard for him to accept, but keep in mind that since you are his baby, he must ALWAYS be a part of your life.
Leave plenty of room in your life for him.
You will regret it otherwise.
I totally agree. Both my parents have been dead for many years but I still miss them, imperfections and all.

Remember too, they are your child's grandparents, and you want to develop a good relationship between them also.

Yeah, So am I experienced in my past of my Adoptivee Parents and kept displince me what their really wants from me.. I knew all my heart My parents really wanted to be HAPPY their own not me.. Controlled me and etc etc.. I left from my parent when I was teenager 16 yrs old and found my own living roommate w/my friend until 'be found an apartment of my own'. I settled my own an apartment and happier living and got 1st preggy perfect timing 4 me.. My parent decide leave me alone and accept understanding how much I felt. So far no problem.. but sometimes my mom is bickering at me.. Mostly I ignore my mom.. Until I found my birth mom.. wow awesome, My birth mom is very openily minded.. and talked w/her. I felt so comfortable w/my birth mom than Adopt parents.
No wonder why they are old fashioned.. ain't same my birth mom does. *interesting* their opitions.

Don't let your parent control or else.. Must accept who r really person.. Don't let them happy themseleves where my happiness ?? That very imporant what do you really need to... Go Ahead.. A day, your parent will smell coffee and accept your own opitions happiness.. *wishes you have great luck for your future wedding* Plenty your time to have find a right time 4 you guys. :) :thumb:

Reba said:
Your parents are close-minded. They just have standards. I'm sure they enjoy many everyday things that fit within those standards.
Not exactly. They do watch movies, but only if the movie doesn't have anything bad like sex or hell-related issues. They usually watch PG movies. They only do things with their friends from church. In fact, I can't think of anyone that they know that aren't from their church. I don't think that my parents have ever gotten friendly with anyone from their work. Know what their ideal New Years Eve is like? All of their friends from church meet with them at their house. About 30 minutes before midnight, they all stand together in a circle and hold hands. They start taking turns praying for what they want for the new year. It usually lasts until past midnight... around 12:15 am. By the time the last prayer is done, they all pray together, then they say, "bye", and leave. No big "Happy New Year!" thing or anything like that. My mom is an English teacher in various colleges. If she ever saw a student walking around with a sex-related, alcohol-related, or drug-related type of clothing, she'd make them leave the class until they can come back properly dressed. Jeez!

My mother is not close friends with people at work either. They just are not the type of people she likes to hang around with. On New Year, she does have fun and say Happy New Year. Prays a little like always.

My mother does not like a lot of sex movies or evil things. She is not totally excluded from them, but she watches certain things as long as it doesn't make her feel nauseated or if it is a total trashy movie.

I do have to admit that I am NOT someone who likes to watch a lot of sex in movies, in fact, I do get tired of watching people having casual and meaningless sex or lots of sex talk. I got tired of watching Friends once I realized that they always had sex in ever episode with someone.

I believe that some people set a limit to how much they watch certain things. I do believe that by watching many "sinful" things you eventually become one or confused with what is the right values.

I do not like movies like EverWood or all those stupid teen movies anymore because I know they are teenagers growing up and confused, then they have sex because they are in love and confused.

I would rather watch Reba and Everybody Loves Raymond. I just believe that there's more fun to life than sex in everything. I find myself more happier and having more fun watching something like Everybody Loves Raymond than a movie with confused people about love and sex. To be honest, I totally hate watching other people kiss each other. It sounds romantic when you think of it of yourself, but other people..nah.

HelloKittyGal said:
My mother is not close friends with people at work either. They just are not the type of people she likes to hang around with. On New Year, she does have fun and say Happy New Year. Prays a little like always.

My mother does not like a lot of sex movies or evil things. She is not totally excluded from them, but she watches certain things as long as it doesn't make her feel nauseated or if it is a total trashy movie.

I do have to admit that I am NOT someone who likes to watch a lot of sex in movies, in fact, I do get tired of watching people having casual and meaningless sex or lots of sex talk. I got tired of watching Friends once I realized that they always had sex in ever episode with someone.

I believe that some people set a limit to how much they watch certain things. I do believe that by watching many "sinful" things you eventually become one or confused with what is the right values.

I do not like movies like EverWood or all those stupid teen movies anymore because I know they are teenagers growing up and confused, then they have sex because they are in love and confused.

I would rather watch Reba and Everybody Loves Raymond. I just believe that there's more fun to life than sex in everything. I find myself more happier and having more fun watching something like Everybody Loves Raymond than a movie with confused people about love and sex. To be honest, I totally hate watching other people kiss each other. It sounds romantic when you think of it of yourself, but other people..nah.
I know what you mean. In a way, it makes me feel that my parents are becoming Jehovah's Witnesses! :eek:

Reba said:
Your parents are not close-minded. They just have standards. I'm sure they enjoy many everyday things that fit within those standards.

Yikes! I just noticed my typo in my original post. I corrected it. Big difference in meaning. Very sorry about that.

VamPyroX said:
Not exactly. They do watch movies, but only if the movie doesn't have anything bad like sex or hell-related issues. They usually watch PG movies. They only do things with their friends from church. In fact, I can't think of anyone that they know that aren't from their church. I don't think that my parents have ever gotten friendly with anyone from their work. Know what their ideal New Years Eve is like? All of their friends from church meet with them at their house. About 30 minutes before midnight, they all stand together in a circle and hold hands. They start taking turns praying for what they want for the new year. It usually lasts until past midnight... around 12:15 am. By the time the last prayer is done, they all pray together, then they say, "bye", and leave. No big "Happy New Year!" thing or anything like that. My mom is an English teacher in various colleges. If she ever saw a student walking around with a sex-related, alcohol-related, or drug-related type of clothing, she'd make them leave the class until they can come back properly dressed. Jeez!
Sounds fine to me.

HelloKittyGal said:

I'm with you.

Don't you mind me asking you what religion did ur dad go now?

pimpdaddyposse said:
Don't you mind me asking you what religion did ur dad go now?
If you're talking about me, it's Baptist. My family is Baptist. I don't follow any specific religion.

Back