Do you love your job?

I like the stuff I work with (BACnet/LON integration, automation systems) but it is the people that make my job difficult. Then again, I work in the contracting industry, where time is always money, everyone is always stressed out.

No hugs, though. We flip the bird at each other whenever we pass each other in the hallways, which is our way of showing affection.

:lol:

I like the stuff I work with (BACnet/LON integration, automation systems) but it is the people that make my job difficult. Then again, I work in the contracting industry, where time is always money, everyone is always stressed out.

No hugs, though. We flip the bird at each other whenever we pass each other in the hallways, which is our way of showing affection.

:lol:

Yes I agree-people make jobs difficult most of the time. Its very political in the IT world.

Love my job? No, no way. I'm good at it, but I'm certainly capable of doing better for myself. I'm there because it's close to home, the money is good, and I can pretty much sleepwalk through the day.
I can't see myself getting promoted though, I'm far too honest with people, I tell them how it is, not what they want to hear and I have an alarming tendancy to treat everyone exactly the same, whether they be the guy who sweeps the floor right through to the Managing Director :)

my name in in Arabic is, Arheddis Varkenjaab.

now read it aloud um hope you get it LOL....

Love my job? No, no way. I'm good at it, but I'm certainly capable of doing better for myself. I'm there because it's close to home, the money is good, and I can pretty much sleepwalk through the day.
I can't see myself getting promoted though, I'm far too honest with people, I tell them how it is, not what they want to hear and I have an alarming tendancy to treat everyone exactly the same, whether they be the guy who sweeps the floor right through to the Managing Director :)

You are my exact identical twin. I believe it...in order to get up that ladder, you do need really thick skin.

Wirelessly posted

I love languages, being an interpreter is a whole lot of fun! A bonus, teaching Zumba makes it more exciting and challenging to create new routines to keep the class fresh :)

I wouldn't mind starting my new career in the medical field. I can apply my skills with language barriers in ASL and Spanish.

Last edited:
I don't like my job but it pays ok. even tho I had been in same place since 2000 go figures ;)

The east coast is weird like that. In the south hugs are not "unprofessional" or "improper contact" Hell, I get hugged by everybody.

That's true. I live in south Texas and I get hugged by just about everybody except strangers. I don't hug strangers, I don't trust them.

I have to say, I really do enjoy my job (most days love- some days just enjoy). I work for a Domestic Violence Center. For the first four years I worked in the actual shelter (managed it for one of those years- THAT part about killed me, I was real close to burn out before I switched to my current position). Shelter work is really hard sometimes but there were many times when it was very rewarding. Now I work as Prevention Coordinator which means I am out in the community either talking to adults or kids about violence prevention and signs of abuse and so forth. I have a couple ongoing programs where I offer dating violence/healthy relationship classes to different groups of teens and I really enjoy working with the kids (more so than I liked working with adults). Some days I don't really want to teach (this week I have really not been feeling it, but I did a class tonight and it went well- sometimes I just have to push myself) but I always love seeing the kids and I just hope that some of the stuff I say sticks in their heads :). The pay is not the greatest (I actually took a small pay cut when I switched positions last year but I took a HUGE stress reduction with that cut, so it definitely paid off in other ways) but the hope of touching and changing someone's life for the better is what makes the job worth it. So, yeah, you could say I love my job! :)

That's pretty cool. My friend works for a domestic violence center too. She loves it. My grandma used to work for a domestic violence/battery center as an administrator but resigned because of the emotional stress of working with domestic violence/battery victims. She was a victim herself years ago before I was born.

One other item to factor in is the "fun" jobs are what a lot of people want, which ends up lowering the salary because of more competition. Like with video game designers, there's no shortage of them but what about COBOL programmers that write boring business applications. Guess which tend to get paid more.

We used to call COBOL "Completely Obsolote Boring Old Language" :)

I'll admit that even though high-pressure jobs pay more I'll never want to get one. It's not worth it for me and I've been there (worked 2 1/2 years like a slave) With current job I'm not making 6 figures but I get to enjoy my weekends and evenings which is much more valuable to me than money in the bank. Your mileage may vary. :D

Same here... worked 12-hour days for years, the stress of it caused a lot of health problems. In the end the money that I made, wasn't really enough compensation for all the health problems I have now.

Live and learn I guess (sorry for being so depressing lol.)

Does some of the time count? I am nearing the end of my career and am seeing that I just plain do not want to put out the amount of energy it takes to really be all over the action. I did get to see and do a lot! I went the lots of physical action route to making a living inspite of my deafness.
Now all those repetitive motion injuries are a big choir singing the Messiah. Just the other day I ran a forklift for a few minutes and got off of it, no big deal at all. Now I have a knee injury no accident no anything.
I can hardly walk and cannot bend my knee. I was not on the job.
It is time to become a paperwork guy or better some kind of bench man. I am thinking about going to gunsmithing school.
What I get some small excitement out of though is my ideas for a 21st Century home medical system that is personalized individualized for family or single use for birth to death record keeping, monitoring, and keeping up with the latest tests, procedures, and protocals. I do not believe that insurance companies should have more rights over my body than I do.

Back