Do you greet your neighbors?

authentic

Reaction score
I just purchased a house in this friendly neighbors, and every time I am about to hop in my car or get mail I noticed that the neighbors wave hand at me (I'm sure they know that Im deaf because I often have friends to stop by and we chat outside in ASL). My question is do I have to wave my hand at them every time I see them? Is it part of American's neighborhood etiquette?

. . . My question is do I have to wave my hand at them every time I see them? Is it part of American's neighborhood etiquette?
Yes, you should wave and/or nod and smile every time you see your neighbors. That is not only good etiquette, it's smart to keep on friendly terms with your neighbors. Over time, things will come up in your neighborhood, and if you are on good terms with your neighbors problems can be avoided. They'll also be more likely to look out for you too, in a protective way.

It is an American custom.

yes always wave. and try to lip read chit chat. go to the neighborhood block parties too.

Yes, I wave at the neighbors even thou we don't talk... it's a polite way to say hello or bye when you pass by. This is friendly way instead of being snobby at your neighbor(s).

Sometimes I feel guilty for not waving at them when I was too busy with my mind or in a rush to go somewhere :lol: I remember one time I live in a condo where my neighbor was very friendly to me and few months later when he relapsed with alcohol and he kept knocking my door to beg for money to buy alcohol. I refused. I was thinking I should not be too friendly in the first place so that neighbor will not bother me :lol:

It depend on how often I run into my neighbors , some people don't want to wave at you or say 'Hi' every time they see a neighbor here. New Englanders can be standoffish . I use to know just about everyone that lived at my condo when I moved here now we have so many tenants that want to keep to their self. You're lucky to have friendly neighbors, yeah it would be nice to just wave back and if they say something to you and tell them you can't hear them and your in a hurry if don't feel like trying to talk to him. People will say "hi' to you while out walking at a park here .
That is a excited you have a new home . :)

I just purchased a house in this friendly neighbors, and every time I am about to hop in my car or get mail I noticed that the neighbors wave hand at me (I'm sure they know that Im deaf because I often have friends to stop by and we chat outside in ASL). My question is do I have to wave my hand at them every time I see them? Is it part of American's neighborhood etiquette?

yes. I do it all the time. takes only 0.0001 of your time... and it goes a long way.

I miss living in my old apartment couple years ago because I know all my neighbors and I like living in small apartment with few floors. I chatted with them here and there. the buddhist monk lived upstair and I went over there sometimes for a tea. my neighbor next to me was a divorcee so he had his sons over every weekend. when an ADer asked me for an advice in what books to read about buddhism and meditation... I went upstair to ask for suggestion. when I ran out of an ingredient.. I went over to my next door. it's great.

My son just bought his first house and I was so happy to see the neighbors being friendly. One met them with cookies, another came and helped pick up a HUGE pile of leafs. It's good to know your neighbors, maybe get involved in Neighborhood Watch programs etc. We are not "involved" in our neighbors lives but we know everyone, definitely wave to them and we meet up twice a year for block parties of some sort.

Authentic...congratulations on purchasing your new home. Pretty hard to accomplish with the real estate prices here in CA.

I live in a very friendly area and we always wave to each other. I have a few on Facebook and text too. If one of us goes out of town, someone will bring out the garbage and the newspaper and keep an eye on the house. Some of our neighbors go to their cabins quite often.

We also have a group page on our FB that we restricted to this neighborhood only so we can post of anything odd, etc. One of our neighbor's goats keep escaping so she'll post to ask us to help round them up :lol:

Congrats on your new home!....Most all my neighbors are very friendly and wave "hello" and I do the same...if I have time, I'll stop to chat for a while....

But I do have a few neighbors that are very nosey :giggle:...and of course some who always want to borrow something....Have to weed them out, you know?.....And when I was in the hospital 2 years ago, one of my favorite neighbors took care of my doggie....

I had a neighbor and she would peak out behind her shade and watch me when I took my dog out. She was in her 90's and miss having a pet so would watch my dog . She thought I didn't know want she was doing but I could her fingers holding the shade back . I miss her , I was helping her out and would call to see if needed anything thing when I was going out. I grew up know all my neighbors and going in their house as small girl . It not the same living a condo in my city , a lot of people have no idea who they have for neighbor . I like to know my neighbors and watch out for my elderly neighbors . If was I how I grew up. When I lived in Berkeley Ca. I knew a lot of neighbors , people were more laid back and not so standoffish .

I live in a very friendly area and we always wave to each other. I have a few on Facebook and text too. If one of us goes out of town, someone will bring out the garbage and the newspaper and keep an eye on the house. Some of our neighbors go to their cabins quite often.

We also have a group page on our FB that we restricted to this neighborhood only so we can post of anything odd, etc. One of our neighbor's goats keep escaping so she'll post to ask us to help round them up :lol:

lol!!!! I would love to go out to look for goat :lol:

I always wave back and they always wave... Some will honk horns to let others know they are leaving or returning... Granted that does nothing for me now lol but I am sure they still do it... The neighborhood used to be bad not so much anymore we know who belongs and who does not... The bottom does not do this and there are many issues there so I think it is not only good manners but also helps keep things safe... Interesting idea about having a FB page...

Sent from my SM-G530T1 using AllDeaf App mobile app

Our neighborhood also has a closed FB page for residents, and a CrimeStoppers closed FB page.

Always wave, its a dying art !!! Thats why I love the county, in the city you get the look like " who are you, what you looking at" but the old tymers in the country will do anything to help you and all they want is a wave or a handshake !
The world would be a better place if everyone waved, nodded, just acknowledge eachother. Youll have the best neighbors you would ever want !

In my experience, the wave is part of southern culture but it is becoming less common nowadays, but outside of southern states like DC metro, no one wave at me and I did wave at them, but they don't response at all.

Hmm guess I'm the minority. I'm one who tends to keep to myself. In all the years I've lived in apartments I've never really interacted with my neighbors. Last place I am pretty sure I the longest term tenant on the floor I was on- kept seeing new tenants quite often (many military since not far from the Ft Jackson base). Here my parents have lived here for many many years now and everyone here is on friendly terms- good friends with the next door neighbor (Cul de sac). Most know who I am considering I've lived here at least twice now lol but again I tend to keep to myself but I do wave and/or nod when I see someone outside. Same with my sister- they know all of their neighbors- everybody watches out for each other especially when someone is away. Same with aunt. Now aunt has always been friendly with her neighbors wherever she lived lol- just her personality/style.

It may be more of a 'southern' thing but it's the same up North when I lived in PA- lived where we knew the neighbors and say hi/wave often or even chat. Just depends on where you live and the type of community it is.

Our HOA (yes an 'evil' HOA but I haven't heard that much of a complaint...) has a FB page I think and a newsletter (email and hard copy).

The America's way is to always wave to your neighbors or nod. That is why they wave at you so to start building respect with you so that if anything happens they will look out for you. Neighborhood is a tight-knit community and they help each others.

Always wave, its a dying art !!! Thats why I love the county, in the city you get the look like " who are you, what you looking at" but the old tymers in the country will do anything to help you and all they want is a wave or a handshake !
The world would be a better place if everyone waved, nodded, just acknowledge eachother. Youll have the best neighbors you would ever want !

It doesn't always work that way , I had some neighbors that no one liked , my hearing dog Finlay didn't even like them. When the people moved out they joking about how much they would miss them. I had on neighbor in my building and there was a pile of newspaper in front of her door. I rang her door bell to see if she was OK . She just told me to _ off ! Yup she was OK ! :lol:

Back