Do you greet your neighbors?

It doesn't always work that way , I had some neighbors that no one liked , my hearing dog Finlay didn't even like them. When the people moved out they joking about how much they would miss them. I had on neighbor in my building and there was a pile of newspaper in front of her door. I rang her door bell to see if she was OK . She just told me to _ off ! Yup she was OK ! :lol:
How is it you have so many bad neighbors?

:D congrats on your new place, authentic!

how long are you there now?

yes, in most places in the States, waving/smiling at neighbors - especially if they wave/smile/nod at you - is a custom.

When we moved into our newer home here about 3 years ago, the night of the move <yes, it was an ALL-DAY thing, including to about 9pm - bit of a moving fiasco really...another story...> somebody came walking by with their dogs. The moving truck was still parked in the driveway and we're still un-loading. The man with the dogs was very friendly and wanted to say hello and welcome us; there were two dogs. One of whom was walking off leash. The off-leash dog proceeded to smell around our yard and the driveway and the truck and the open garage. Our own dogs were staying with a Rottie-experienced friend for the week in which we moved, so they weren't yet on the property.

Later in the same evening another walker and his sole dog came along and greeted us also and this dog did the same thing as the previous dog.
Many people around here in this rural area walk with their dogs off leash on the country roads, and we are the only people with a physical fence.

So, yeah, being neighborly is like that...

Congrats!! Yes I do wave back at them when they wave at me. Even if some people don't live on my street but they walk with their dogs, and still wave back. If they come and try to talk to me. I would do my best to sign, and body language.

I feel that it is the key to be friendly. I never forget that I did wave at the couple that lives across from our house. One day, my hub's ankle was broke. He couldn't able to shovel or snow blower in the driveway. I did try to do snowblower but it was too huge. So I decided to shovel all the driveway. then In next few hours later, while it kept snowing all day.. I was surprised to see that the across house that he used his truck to plow into my driveway. Of course, later, I thanked him for it and told him about my hub. I realize that waves can be useful. :D congrats!!

Congrats on your new home!

I live just outside of Baltimore City and we have friendly neighbors. I live on an one way street with a total of 6 houses so we all pretty much know each others' businesses. My next door neighbor is always helping us and we are helping him now.

Yes, we wave to each other all the time. I would feel funny if we didn't wave to them.

Last edited:
How is it you have so many bad neighbors?

They're tenants and the condo owners doesn't care who they rent to as long as they pay the rent. The people know no one like did own their condo. It was not like this when I first moved here, we now have a very poor management . They were suppose to made to made sure too many condos weren't being rented out , I called this to the trustees attention . People that rent out their units don't live here so this is no sweat of their backs. People are fine in my building now , we got the landlord to get rid of the mother that lived with 30 yo drunken son. Most people the live in their own unit are fine ,it's the tenants that give us troubles.

They're tenants and the condo owners doesn't care who they rent to as long as they pay the rent. The people know no one like did own their condo. It was not like this when I first moved here, we now have a very poor management . They were suppose to made to made sure too many condos weren't being rented out , I called this to the trustees attention . People that rent out their units don't live here so this is no sweat of their backs. People are fine in my building now , we got the landlord to get rid of the mother that lived with 30 yo drunken son. Most people the live in their own unit are fine ,it's the tenants that give us troubles.
That's too bad the condo association went in that direction.

That's too bad the condo association went in that direction.

Yes it 's, a neighbor I like want to sell out b/c the condo association is so bad now. I think it's good idea to know at least a few neighbors you never know when you'll get locked out and need to made a phone. One neighbor did this 2 times and needed to use my phone. Her dad told me to keep an eye on his daughter. :giggle:

:wave:

Get to know your neighbors. There is an older retired couple who live across the street from me who babysit every now and then for me and my wife. I help them around the house when they need something done - the husband has recently had back surgery and needs a little help. I found out who to watch out for in the neighborhood just by being friendly. Every neighborhood has "that weird creepy guy" in it.

It is funny when you grow up your parents tell you don't trust strangers and then parents see neighbors, they were like "waving hand" towards them. Kids would be like "ugh, I am confused now" :lol:

It is funny when you grow up your parents tell you don't trust strangers and then parents see neighbors, they were like "waving hand" towards them. Kids would be like "ugh, I am confused now" :lol:

Waving isn't the same as trusting. It's usually done at a distance, out in the open. Besides, pretty soon they are no longer strangers.

Waving isn't the same as trusting. It's usually done at a distance, out in the open. Besides, pretty soon they are no longer strangers.

But a small child wouldn't know his , if some stranger waved to them he could think it OK to talk to the stranger.

But a small child wouldn't know his , if some stranger waved to them he could think it OK to talk to the stranger.

We tell our children not to have imaginary friends but we tell them to believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. We can't win.

By small I mean 6 yo .I see kids this age walking to school alone all the time
or riding their bike.

That's because several of us who are parents are realizing how good we had it in the 70s and 80s when we would stay outside all day and come in when the street lights turn on. We are rebelling against keeping our children too sheltered so now we are starting letting them run around the neighborhoods unsupervised. We are tired of them being glued to tv, computers, video games, and phones all day. Kicking them out to explore!

We tell our children not to have imaginary friends but we tell them to believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. We can't win.
We didn't tell our daughter to believe in them and she wasn't interested in imaginary friends (even though she was an only)--so problem solved. :lol:

We didn't tell our daughter to believe in them and she wasn't interested in imaginary friends (even though she was an only)--so problem solved. :lol:

Lol

Of course, my parents told me all time.

My father overprotected me when I was child and teen. I recalled about I was at Target and saw one guy who carry gun (open carry) so my father rushed and covered my eyes so he told me that wasn't safe to be closer to that guy. My parents refuse to expose myself to firearm and they see me as precious child.

Now, I fed up with my parents and plan to return to Gally, even I'm on medical withdrawal due to medical issues so I have no choice at all.

I see nothing wrong with a child having a imaginary friend as long as the child knew it was all pretend. Kids have pretend tea party all the time . I am not sure how many cups of pretend tea I drank with my daughter . :giggle: . I never had a imaginary friend but my older sister did.

Back