Deaf nurses?

LuciaDisturbed

Reaction score
Lately I have been thinking about becoming a nurse after I have my surgeries and have healed to the point where I can finally start working again.

I wonder how do Deaf nurses do it? I don't want to work in nursing homes as they are boring. I want to work in the hospital on the medical floor or in the kids or adults with cancer wards. No nursing homes, period.

But my inability to speak and hear and understand speech creates serious communication barriers and they might hesitate to hire me because of that. I can write back and forth but some patients might not want to.

I've heard of deaf nurses but all the ones I know of works in nursing homes, not very interesting. There's not much variety in that.

Of course I would need to go to school, and I can do that once I am better. I am having my surgery next month on March 9th, and if the surgery isn't enough to take away most of my pain, then I will need one more to see if it helps. (I am having surgery on my left hip to fix a labral tear in my left hip next month and hopefully it will take away most of the pain, if not I will need my injured discs in my lower back fixed too). I don't want to sit on my ass all day and collect SSI the rest of my life because of pain. I want to work and I want to like what I do at my job. I don't want to do menial work where my brain is not being stimulated enough. I want to work at a job that is interesting and fulfilling, helping others, and making a difference in someone else's life.

So, Deaf nurses, any advice?

One dude I know -- He's a deaf EMT dude that does wilderness EMT stuff. This is back country stuff, i mean.. search and rescue out in the middle of woods.

Pretty cool. people think there are communication barriers but he says it has been going on very wonderfully.

You should hear his stories about his rescuing of morons on 14ers..

We have deaf doctors, dentist, and OB/GYN in Rochester..they all did well! And shrinks too.

Some of them have CIs..... The dr and OB/GYN (never met her but someone had told me about her) do have special device to listen to the heart, lungs. etc...I can ask my primary doctor about it and get some info for you? (PM me if you want for more further information) :) He is on FB and maybe you can send him a message? I can ask him first. He may not reply right away.

I am sure you will do just FINE!! Go for it and nothing can stop ya! :) :thumb:

Good luck with the surgery...about the time eh? Having pain isn't fun at all! :(

Good luck what you decide what to do for the future! :)

I had to agree with you about the nursing home..ick! You can work in the hospital or in the doctor's office?

Sounds good Lucia!! Why should you let your inability to speak and hear stop you! Go for it!

Lucia, I know a deaf radiologist who works at a big hospital..I can ask him.

Go for it! Best of luck and wishing you a speedy recovery!

not that I know but just two deaf doctors (actual, one is going to be...)

We have deaf doctors, dentist, and OB/GYN in Rochester..they all did well! And shrinks too.

Some of them have CIs..... The dr and OB/GYN (never met her but someone had told me about her) do have special device to listen to the heart, lungs. etc...I can ask my primary doctor about it and get some info for you? (PM me if you want for more further information) :) He is on FB and maybe you can send him a message? I can ask him first. He may not reply right away.

I am sure you will do just FINE!! Go for it and nothing can stop ya! :) :thumb:

Good luck with the surgery...about the time eh? Having pain isn't fun at all! :(

Good luck what you decide what to do for the future! :)

I had to agree with you about the nursing home..ick! You can work in the hospital or in the doctor's office?

Yup, about fucking time! I finally found a doctor who actually CARES. Someone who doesn't just take 1 single x-ray, look at it and tells me there's nothing wrong with me, and then kick me out the door as is per usual. This new doctor ordered many many many x-rays at many different angles and performed a full exam as well, moving my legs around to see what and where it hurts and stuff. He said it looks like I have a labral tear in my hip. Finally, someone who actually took me seriously. About fuckin' time! So, I am hoping that the surgery will help me a lot. I will be doing PT after surgery - I will be requesting it, so I can get stronger after the surgery. He is a nice guy, very polite and very nice. He has good bedside manners, unlike my old doctor. No more bullshit!

The surgery will be done laproscopically. Not sure if I spelled that right. So the recovery process shouldn't be too bad compared with if I had a hip replacement. I am glad I don't need a hip replacement. :)

Yup, about fucking time! I finally found a doctor who actually CARES. Someone who doesn't just take 1 single x-ray, look at it and tells me there's nothing wrong with me, and then kick me out the door as is per usual. This new doctor ordered many many many x-rays at many different angles and performed a full exam as well, moving my legs around to see what and where it hurts and stuff. He said it looks like I have a labral tear in my hip. Finally, someone who actually took me seriously. About fuckin' time! So, I am hoping that the surgery will help me a lot. I will be doing PT after surgery - I will be requesting it, so I can get stronger after the surgery. He is a nice guy, very polite and very nice. He has good bedside manners, unlike my old doctor. No more bullshit!

The surgery will be done laproscopically. Not sure if I spelled that right. So the recovery process shouldn't be too bad compared with if I had a hip replacement. I am glad I don't need a hip replacement. :)

grats.

Thats a much better surgical procedure than being cut open. It's less invasive and it reduces the chances of infection. I had a labral tear on my shoulder, was recovered within a week.

I am going to school now for Nursing, and while I take my classes I am trying to get in contact with a lot of Nurses who are Deaf. I have no Hearing, and wear no devices (CI or Hearing Aids).

You might be required to take a CNA course and be certified before going into the actual Nursing portion. Do you have a hearing device?

Good Luck with your surgury! Hopefully it solves your problem with your hip!

Nursing is definately a field where Deaf can have success with. There are dozens of specialties that can be mastered without hearing. I work Intensive care and that is definately my niche. It isn't monotonous and plenty of excitement daily. It is a great feeling to feel a belongingness and have capability to make a big difference. I use adaptive devices for work and it has been a difference maker in distinguishing myself at the hospital.

I'm very happy you don't need a hip replacement. I'm also glad you got a second opinion. Your new doctor sounds like a keeper.

I wish you luck with your surgery. You must have been in a world of pain for quite a while. Here's to a speedy recovery. :cheers:

I do not see anything wrong with nursing homes. Worked one for years.

Loved it! Learn a a lot from just speaking to the residents!

Well, I haven't met anyone who's deaf that works as a nurse but there's a lot of relatives in my man's family that are working as RN or LN nurses and some of them know sign language because of my bf's deaf. One of his school classmates happens to be a nurse too but she's not deaf enough (HOH and speaks well), anyway.

I do not see anything wrong with nursing homes. Worked one for years.

Loved it! Learn a a lot from just speaking to the residents!

Word. I used to volunteer for Senior Citizens at a nursing home...only the problem is communication difficulties. But if it were for deaf nursing home, no problem! But put asides from the foul smell in the hallways and changing the toilet potteries. I had to wear the face mask and rubber gloves!! Lol.

Nursing is definately a field where Deaf can have success with. There are dozens of specialties that can be mastered without hearing. I work Intensive care and that is definately my niche. It isn't monotonous and plenty of excitement daily. It is a great feeling to feel a belongingness and have capability to make a big difference. I use adaptive devices for work and it has been a difference maker in distinguishing myself at the hospital.

Yeah, I either want to work in the ICU or with kids with cancer, or kids with various serious health issues, or on the general medical floor in a hospital. Not nursing homes. And the ER would be too hectic for me, I think, communication-wise. I don't want to cost a life due to my inability to understand speech, so the ER may out of the question. I most definitely don't want to work in a nursing home.

Word. I used to volunteer for Senior Citizens at a nursing home...only the problem is communication difficulties. But if it were for deaf nursing home, no problem! But put asides from the foul smell in the hallways and changing the toilet potteries. I had to wear the face mask and rubber gloves!! Lol.
I thank you and Babyblue for caring about our elderly folks. You fulfill a crucial need in our society. We should remember that some day we will all be elderly folks unless we leave this earth early. As each generation ages, the need will become even greater.

:ty:

:wave: Lucia, I say - GO for it! I don't think I could work with kids with cancer or anything so I applaud those that will because I do understand how important and necessary that is. Don't let others determine your field, you can decide :)

and Best Wishes for your with the operation, I am very happy that you have found a doc who seems truly interested in helping! :hug:

I also agree with Reba in regard to Douglas and BabyBlue....I worked for a while with older people with Alzheimer's and frail elderly and that was VERY challenging, although I am patient and do well empathy-wise with that, in general it was also very stressful and not my strength in work, so I honor too those who do work in nursing homes and similar places!

Yeah, I either want to work in the ICU or with kids with cancer, or kids with various serious health issues, or on the general medical floor in a hospital....
The nurses who take care of kids with cancer are truly angels on earth. That is wonderful that you are considering that field. :)

Kudos!! I am very glad that you found the most caring doctor who can able to fix a labral tear in your left hip. Pain will go away and you can able to walk normally soon. :D

As a Deaf nurse, you can do it. :D

COMPASSION is of the heart, and the heart communicates more clearly than any other form of language - whether oral or gestural. Go into your life led by your compassion and it will take you wherever you want to (or are meant to) go!

MUCH SUCCESS to you! (Blessings!)

Back