How fair are Movie Theaters for Deaf

• Very Fair

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Average

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Not Fair At All

Votes: 19 65.5%

• Total voters
The movie theater was never really fair with the deaf. I went to a movie theater and they thought I can hear with the headphones, well whatever!

Never seen one in my area. But then again, I do not go to movies often, due to cost. I usually wait it out until it comes out on DVDs.

yep.... movie ticket's $11 now... :mad2:

In the perspective of a hearing person I don't see where the problem is with having captions on the screen. we have it when we watch kung fu movies and we are fine with it. why not just always have them on the movies for everyone.

WHAT!!!!! :shock: I don´t know how movie here in Germany cost becuase we don´t go there but I assume that the cost could be same as well... We prefer to watch with DVD at home.

I don´t vote because I don´t know. None of deaf people here in Germany protest for want to have CC on movie threater but DVD and TV subtitles.

is it on the main screen for everyone to see?
Open Caption is usually white lettering without the black background. Think "Foreign films" with subtitles. It is onscreen for all viewers.

Mod note:

Thread's moved to proper location.

was the rear window captioning worth the time? Down here they have been researching about it.

Well, The RWC (Rear Window Captioning) may be worth it for some people but as for me, I HATE HATE the RWC. It is so annoying because whenever I attach the RWC screen to the seat, I have to set myself in the rightful position to be able to read the caption through the RWC screen to be able to look at the movie screen. Also, even if I move a little bit, it will be out of place and I have to set it up in the rightful position over and over again. It's just bunch of hassle which is why I despite it.

The movie theater was never really fair with the deaf. I went to a movie theater and they thought I can hear with the headphones, well whatever!

:rofl2: You too? When I asked them if they had CC, they said no but we have wireless headphone systems for the hearing impaired. I'm like huh? That wouldn't do a thing for me. :squint:

I dont think it is fair. Hearing people have access to any movie at any theater but deaf people dont.

Rwc

I don't mind about movie. I still love to go to movie some day. I can ask RWC at movie theatre in Mississauga. Or I can go to IMAX (very big movie) I don't mind without RWC. Also, so much action than old movie drama.
Oh, one more thing... I hate to wait for any new movies with DVD too long. I want go to movie right now than DVD.

I am only one fair movie for me. :)

what is RWC again?

Rear Window Captioning. You get a little screen that fits in the seat cup holder and you have to adjust it just right for the projector and read off it and look up to the screen too.

Do most tv shows have CC or is the only real way you get them on DVD?

There is a movie theater about three blocks from where I live that offers OC movies, which is great.

The downside is that I don't pick the movie I want to see in OC...they do. Often they try to pick a movie that most deaf people, including children, would want to see.

The Welcome Center between Tenn and KY (on the 25E) has an OC film on the settlers and the gap. It was fabulous and none of the hearing people seemed to mind. We enjoyed it very much.

:rofl2: You too? When I asked them if they had CC, they said no but we have wireless headphone systems for the hearing impaired. I'm like huh? That wouldn't do a thing for me. :squint:

Happened to me too, I was like WTF, I am DEAF... They have no deaf awareness!!! They said it's very good and is like using loop, I said i am really deaf.... meaning no hearing at all! they said it's really loud, I said noooooo it won't make any difference as I won't understand a thing without captions.....

Back