Coming out of isolation

cdmeggers

Reaction score
Rock Springs boy's family glad to have expert help with hearing loss
Coming out of isolation
By JODIE FOWLER - Daily Rocket-Miner | Posted: Tuesday, March 2, 2010 12:15 am

ROCK SPRINGS -- Developmental milestones are recorded and celebrated in many ways.

From the first time a baby rolls over, their first giggle, their first steps, their first words and beyond, parents beam at each accomplishment. They strive to teach their children words by repeating "mama" or "dada" over and over.

Imagine the frustration and concern that develops if a child is unable to say any words by the age of 2 or they do not even hear you talking to them.

Previous celebration can turn into constant worry, as experienced by one Sweetwater County family.

Three-year-old Anthony Cordova was diagnosed as profoundly deaf in one ear.

Not only were his parents frustrated with his development, but Anthony himself was emotionally upset. He often expressed his dissatisfaction by misbehaving.

His siblings also took the news of his condition hard. When Anthony was diagnosed, his mother, Stacie Cordova, said his older brother made a list of what he would not be able to do with him because of his disability.

At the same time, she said her family struggled financially when Anthony was diagnosed. The insurance company would not pay for hearing aids. It argued they were not needed because there was an alternative form of communication and Anthony could learn sign language.

After an intervention from the Child Developmental Center, Anthony is better equipped to communicate his needs. He uses a combination of hearing aids and sign language to communicate with the world around him.

With the help of the center's speech and language pathologists, he has gone from zero words to speaking full sentences within one year's time.

His expanded vocabulary has also come with behavior changes. His mother said he is pleasant and well-behaved. In addition, Stacie said the whole family is less tense now that the issue is being dealt with.

"(Center staff) made it so I can breathe when I talk about him," she said.

If the center's assistance was not available, Stacie said her family would be taking Anthony to Primary Children's Hospital on a weekly basis for services.

"If they weren't here to set us on the right path, I don't think he would be where he is today," Stacie said.

In addition to offering instruction, the center helped the Cordova family find other forms of aid. For example, it connected them with a resource that lends Anthony hearing aids.

Because of the intervention and therapy provided through the center, Anthony is developmentally ahead. At the age of 3, he recognizes his alphabet and is able to say and sign all the letters. He can finger spell several words and can also count to 20.

After receiving the needed interventions, Stacie Cordova said Anthony is not so isolated and the whole family seems to be much more comfortable. The center strives to provide intervention tools to everyone in the family by teaching members sign language and how to communicate with Anthony.

Stacie said accessibility to the program was easy and the therapists have come to the home to work with her son.

Stacie works graveyards and said, "It's been amazing that they come here. Nobody has put me at the bottom of the list."

Stacie said a significant amount of people do not find out if their child has hearing loss until kindergarten, so early testing is important.

"So many people do not understand the absolute necessity of this place. They are early intervention," she said.

With the whole family involved in the process of learning how to communicate with Anthony, Stacie said the services through the CDC gave her sanity back to her.

"This place is not a glorified day care. They are providing essential services. These services are not duplicated anywhere else in Sweetwater County," she said.

If parents are struggling with or concerned about their children's development, Stacie said, "Trust me, you will never know if it will be your child. Someday they will help a child you know. You can't put a price on the word mamma."

Coming out of isolation

Just reading the bit about the insurance denying hearing aid coverage for the kid pissed me off to no end. Just because deaf people can still communicate with signs doesn't mean insurance can deny providing coverage for hearing aids/CIs. Give me a break.

Hearing aids hardly ever been covered by insurance. Most of us can tell you that we all had to pay out of pocket to get one. Hearing aids don't really benefit that much for people who are nearly profoundly deaf.Although they may help enough to carry a speechreading skill but not a whole lot.

I know insurance doesn't always cover hearing aids, but they should.

even my parents struggled to purchase hearing aids for me when I was a kid. I know how it is. It's just ridiculous how some insurance companies function. But for this one to say no, because the kid can still find a way to communicate regardless, that's just kind of harsh.. Kid's only 3, give him a break.

Well I think if HAs were covered the ambigious canidates might not opt for CI. Which in turn would be A HELL of a lot cheaper for the insurance companies. I do think part of the popularity of CIs is ambigious canidates "gaming the system"

then they would have to pay for processor upgrade too for cochlear implant, and I don't think they want that either.

I am the Mommy :)

Hello I am the mommy of the little Anthony in the article :) we are so glad to see it circulate so far and wide!! It is a tad bit of misinformation though. Anthony is actually deaf on both sides one side severe to profound and the other side severe and then lately he has been testing more on the moderate side which is great. He is speaking and signing and we couldn't be more thrilled to be his parents. We also own his hearing aids, but I was trying to get across to the reporter that the child development center where we live had a place that WOULD lend us the devices if needed. Anyway, I am glad to have found this site and hope to be a part of it regularly:D Also I did have my day with the insurance company haha they said he could just use sign language as communication so I put him on the phone with the jerk who said it and waited a minute then got back on and told him how very rude he was being. when he asked why I told him that my son had just signed hi and asked how he was and got no response!!! --Stacie Cordova

Hi there!!!! Welcome! We're always psyched to have hearing parents post here! Are you a member of the American Society for Deaf Children yet?

Lighthouses, I do think if they covered HAs, they wouldn't have as much ambigious folks (ie people with decent residual hearing who claim b/c they have a 10% unaided loss or who can't hear well in noise) wanting to get CI.

I am not a member how do I go about that? I am still getting my feet wet. I was wondering if anyone here knows how I can go about learning ASL from home a little faster. I can't afford the daycare to sign up for college classes and I don't like leaving him with people who can't understand him anyway...help :)

good to see you here Stacie. I'm actually from Wyoming myself and saw this article in the Trib. Sure got me riled up how insurance companies can be.

I'm sure there are ASL resources online, but I don't really know of them. Have you contacted the Wyoming Outreach Program? The State Department of Education has a department just for education of the deaf and hard of hearing students, some of the folks that are part of the outreach team were actually my teachers and interpreters when I was in school. We have a media center/library in Casper that will be more than happy to send you any materials that could be useful for you and Anthony. I'll get you the contact info for the library.

Hi there!!!! Welcome! We're always psyched to have hearing parents post here! Are you a member of the American Society for Deaf Children yet?

Lighthouses, I do think if they covered HAs, they wouldn't have as much ambigious folks (ie people with decent residual hearing who claim b/c they have a 10% unaided loss or who can't hear well in noise) wanting to get CI.

Some states like here in Maine are starting to provide mandatory insurance coverage for children ages 12 and under. Pending how successful this program is it should expand to older children later on. Check you state laws on this....Also your states Department of Human Services may have other programs to help.

American Society for Deaf Children, here's info on membership! I highly reccomend membership! It's a wonderful organization! It's too bad that the Wyoming School for the Deaf closed in the 90's (right Meg?) but there may be some regional dhh educational programs you could take advantage of, to see if there's any resources they can offer.

yeah WySD closed in 2000 actually. But the library/resource center for the deaf and hard of hearing is still actively going. And we do have an outreach program for deaf education, making sure all deaf/hoh students get the service/help they might need to get through school, providing resource for the whole family.

Back