City driver or country driver to work?

kokonut

Reaction score
Are you a city driver that drive to work battling traffic everyday? Or are you a country driver that drive to work in the countryside everyday with little or no traffic? Or you do a bit of driving from the city to the countryside, or from the countryside to the city?

I drive in the countryside to work and back, so, no traffic for me. Utter bliss for me while I drive.

I take both of them - rural highway, suburban highway and local road in urban area when I'm commuting to UAB. When going to UAB, you have go through the urban.

Wirelessly posted (BB Curve 9300)

Commuting here is a nightmare.

It use to take my hubby 30 minutes to get to and from work. Over the years this has increased to almost an hour drive home. All city driving around here. I used to live in the Bay Area and OMG traffic was a nightmare. Hubby rents books on tape for his commute, helps him a lot.

Most of my commute is spent on the highway, while my place and work is real close to the highway. Takes me about an hour and about 50 miles round trip a day in commute. Fortunately I start early afternoon and get home late so the traffic was smooth most of the time.

Is commuting was better about 20 years ago?
Much worse. When we first moved here it was a calm experience to drive from place to place. Now it's a nerve-wracking nightmare just about every time, every place. The traffic has multiplied many times over. Then, they widen the roads with more lanes. But then they build more shopping centers, apartment buildings, houses, and schools, so the new traffic quickly fills up the new lanes. We used to have quiet, shady lanes leading to our neighborhood. Now the trees are gone, the roads are multi-lane, and they've added more shopping strips.

When we first moved to Goose Creek (we don't live there now), it literally had one traffic light in the town. Now it's full of multi-lane roads and huge criss-crossing intersections (not just four roads intersecting but six in different angles).

We've had two cars totaled, several other accidents (none our fault), and countless close calls.

As for country vs. city, it's kind of a mix around here.

We live in the suburbs of a town that is rather spread out. To get from our house to any places where I used to work required at least 35 minutes of heavy traffic, sometimes up to an hour (as a community interpreter I didn't have a regular commuting route). When I was a college interpreter, I had roughly a 35-minute commute one-way. Then, there was the battle to find a parking spot except when I had very early morning assignments.

The time of day doesn't seem to matter here. The only times when there isn't much traffic is about 2 - 4 a.m.

Much worse. When we first moved here it was a calm experience to drive from place to place. Now it's a nerve-wracking nightmare just about every time, every place. The traffic has multiplied many times over. Then, they widen the roads with more lanes. But then they build more shopping centers, apartment buildings, houses, and schools, so the new traffic quickly fills up the new lanes. We used to have quiet, shady lanes leading to our neighborhood. Now the trees are gone, the roads are multi-lane, and they've added more shopping strips.

When we first moved to Goose Creek (we don't live there now), it literally had one traffic light in the town. Now it's full of multi-lane roads and huge criss-crossing intersections (not just four roads intersecting but six in different angles).

We've had two cars totaled, several other accidents (none our fault), and countless close calls.

Oh wow, no wonder about why South Carolina is popular destination for retirees. Have you think about state or local should invest to install light rail or put bus stops to get many cars off the road? Having public transportation in southern states can be miserable due to long wait for bus to stop and deal with hot, humid weather. I'm seriously prefer to drive the car in southern states because climate in summer was terrible, so no way for me to wait for bus.

Yes, the traffic is getting bad in my state too, but in 20 years ago, commute on I-65 and I-20 weren't bad but it got much worse now with congestion. I-59 went downhill with only 2-3 lanes and ALDOT talks about want expand the lanes to 4, along with new expressway bridge to replace 40 years old bridge in downtown area. It will going be a huge roadwork that may take 10 years to fully completed.

Yes, there are A LOT of close calls, that scare me and it is getting bad too.

Oh wow, no wonder about why South Carolina is popular destination for retirees. Have you think about state or local should invest to install light rail or put bus stops to get many cars off the road?
They talk about it sometimes but nothing gets done. Part of the problem is that even though it's like one area, it actually includes three counties and several municipalities. That means various governments would have to work together on the plan and budget, or else let the state take it over. Also, this area is expanding and growing so fast that the planning can't keep up.

I work from home :)

When I meet with clients I schedule my meetings at a local coffee shop. It's a 10 minute bike ride from my home.

Most of my shoots are done in the country/farm areas - no traffic!

My last job I had three choices:
-suburban roads > highway > urban roads
-suburban roads > rural roads > urban roads
-suburban roads > highway > freeway > urban roads

The first was arguably best, the second was the most direct, but the third could be fastest depending what time of day it was.

Where I live in a town.... no traffic jams to work in either day or night... as it's 10 minutes drive to work. :)

So I use the highway roads to work.

Ugh, all city. Tampa Florida... yay... :roll: No matter what time it is, it seems to be terrible. :doh:

I rarely encounter any traffic on my way to work as i need to take back roads to get there.

in Metro area (DC/MD/VA), no matter where you live around the beltway, it's nightmare for them, as for me it only take about 25 minutes drive to work (up on Baltimore/Washington parkway) toward Baltimore but the only time that take me an hour to get to or from work is rubbernecker!!!

I mostly drive in suburbs. However, I often go through cities. I do like to hit country roads for interesting picks.

It's suburbs here... but there is only one highway until you reach VA Beach side of the tunnel or Richmond, so everyone is on it

Back