CI Surgery approved today

I am in no position to help with your questions. But . . . it did make me think of something I read a long time ago. A kid came in for his "activation" with paper clips attached to his head using the magnet! Made me think it might be fun to find just where something like that would cling.

Just for kicks I tried to see if paperclips would stick, they didn't. So I took a small magnet off the fridge and that stuck great. What a strange feeling:shock: I am getting excited for the activation which I believe is June 6th.

Just for kicks I tried to see if paperclips would stick, they didn't. So I took a small magnet off the fridge and that stuck great. What a strange feeling:shock: I am getting excited for the activation which I believe is June 6th.

One thing this made me think of — it is hard telling what they are making paper clips out of anymore. They could well be something that would not stick of any magnet!

One thing this made me think of — it is hard telling what they are making paper clips out of anymore. They could well be something that would not stick of any magnet!

It was good for a laugh. The look on my husbands face when he saw me putting paperclips against my head.:laugh2: I think he believes I might need a good cup of coffee!!:laugh2:

You have two indentations. One feels like a bump between your ear and the back of your head, that is where the implant's magnet is located on your skull. Over time that bump will settle down and will not be noticeable.

The other indentation is right above or right behind your ear. That is where they drilled a hole in your skull to access the cochlea. It will always be there, and since the wire goes through that hole, every time you push on it you will feel a sensation inside your ear.

The magnet is about 3/8" diameter centered in a 1 inch diameter antenna. The inside part is nothing more than wires, and the magnet is only there to hold the external antenna in place.

The internal magnet is the opposite polarity of the external magnet, so the only way to make things stick to your head is to use a light duty refrigerator magnet. Be careful using those big ones, as you can yank the internal magnet loose if you have a strong enough magnetic field. Most everyday magnets are harmless. The worst you can do is get inside an MRI machine running at full power, it will do some serious damage.

Just be glad that the latest internal implant is much thinner than the older ones, my 2003 implant has a larger bump than my 2010 implant.

yeah the indent right behind the ear is from the surgery, the surgeon drilled a pathway in the skill for the electrode to the cochlea. Really nothing to worry about.

You have two indentations. One feels like a bump between your ear and the back of your head, that is where the implant's magnet is located on your skull. Over time that bump will settle down and will not be noticeable.

The other indentation is right above or right behind your ear. That is where they drilled a hole in your skull to access the cochlea. It will always be there, and since the wire goes through that hole, every time you push on it you will feel a sensation inside your ear.

The magnet is about 3/8" diameter centered in a 1 inch diameter antenna. The inside part is nothing more than wires, and the magnet is only there to hold the external antenna in place.

The internal magnet is the opposite polarity of the external magnet, so the only way to make things stick to your head is to use a light duty refrigerator magnet. Be careful using those big ones, as you can yank the internal magnet loose if you have a strong enough magnetic field. Most everyday magnets are harmless. The worst you can do is get inside an MRI machine running at full power, it will do some serious damage.

Just be glad that the latest internal implant is much thinner than the older ones, my 2003 implant has a larger bump than my 2010 implant.

Great information, thank you so much. Since I had no way of hearing what they talked about prior to surgery and my surgery date was really fast I missed a lot of information. So when they drill that whole to access the cochlea, the implant wasn't done there, right? I believe they do that thru your ear canal, right? Kind of late aking these questions and makes me feel a little silly.:hmm: My surgery was approved and he had an opening, it went very fast. Thanks so much, you have been very helpful.

One more thing.....Do you carry anything like a medical alert so that in an emergency and you are unconcious they know you have a CI and don't do an MRI? With my health background, MRI's were pretty common. How about at Airports, does the CI hold you up at security? I know I could look all this up, but it sure is nice asking people who have been thru it.

They don't implant through the ear canal: They bypass the ear canal and create a pathway to the inner ear where the electrode array will be threaded and then open the inner ear to very precisely place the electrodes on the inside. They place the main component of the implant (the receiver) outside your skull (you can feel it a couple of inches away from/behind your ear -- that's where your coil will meet up with it). Often they shave a bit of bone from the skull there to make a slight indentation to both protect and steady the receiver. They also anchor the electrode array (which looks like a tiny clear wire) at different points to ensure that if the receiver shifts the electrodes aren't moved out of place. Then they test each electrode (sort of a mini-activation on the operating table) to ensure the device is working and electrodes are in place.

Our CI Clinic required us to watch a video that included the surgery itself prior to my daughter's surgery, and our surgeon drew up a diagram of the pathway he would be taking. It wasn't this one, but I've posted this video of the surgery here before, but it may have gotten eliminated if the conversation about CIs went haywire. Warning -- it does contain real surgical process, blood and all, so be prepared.

Also, I think you got the Cochlear ci, and following is their description of the process, and I think Advanced Bionics has a good video of it, too, but can't find a direct link (you can find it by looking for "watch how a cochlear implant works" on their home page). In either company's video, you'll see a diagram of how/where the CI is placed.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EioaJEZRrkE]Cochlear Implant and How it works - YouTube[/ame]

My daughter wears her CI when we fly, and although she could just go through the line normally without hold up, more often, I send her through the special line to be hand wanted-- I figure that's less radiation in general, so why not. And it's usually faster :).

Also, I think there's now a free app download for Iphones/ipods/ipads for Nucleus 5 users, that tells you how to work your processor (I don't know if you have an iphone/ipad/whatever, but just mentioning this for ya).

Actually, I saw something similar for Android a few days ago, when I was looking around at apps. It says: "The Nucleus Support App is designed to help you with the daily use and care of your Nucleus 5 or Nucleus Freedom Sound Processor. It includes helpful tips and information to make living with your Nucleus® Cochlear Implant as easy and simple as possible."

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...pbnRlcmFjdGlvbi5hbmRyb2lkLmNvY2hsZWFyLmNhbSJd

Just thought that I'd throw that out there :)

I didn't know it was available for Android phones too, just for iphones/ipads/etc. :)

As for medical alert, you can get one if you choose to. Some people will get the medical alert jewelry, some don't. Depends on if they have conditions that could be problematic should they ever end up in the hospital.

I don't know if Cochlear sends their recipients medical info cards with their CI info. I know AB sends out such a card to their recipients, the card has the recipient's name, CI info, contact info, etc. something like that. Can be used at airports so if you should ever encounter a problem with security regarding your implants you can show them the card. You should be able to wear your CI through security, no problem. As for bringing accessories with you, definitely pack them into your carry-on baggage and not the checked in luggage.

I am a little bummed. I have an appointment June 6th with the CI doctor. I was assuming it was my activation date. I just got an answer to my email from their office and it is not my activation date:-( She said it was to check the allergic reaction, allergy patch test and to see if everything is good. Then I will set up multiple appointments with the audiologist. So a little while longer.

Surgery went well! Huge wrapping around my head and still hurts a bit. One doctor gave me a motion sickness patch due to some people feels nauseous after the surgery. I ended up having some sort of reaction to it (not allergic to it though) and I apparently ripped out the IV after the surgery. A few people had to hold me down to put another IV in..

I didn't get a patch, they just told me to take Dramamine for the nausea. But glad you made it through, now take it easy and rest up and let others wait on you. :)

ah good luck, kaze i know how u feel about iv *shudders* they will have to knock me out first before put iv in me lol

am concerning of getting ci but of course it the money issue blah have to wait for right time i hope.

ah good luck, kaze i know how u feel about iv *shudders* they will have to knock me out first before put iv in me lol

am concerning of getting ci but of course it the money issue blah have to wait for right time i hope.

My sister also has severe hearing loss and she has the CI. My parents ended up paying the surgery at the full price due to the insurance not covering CI. I ended up contacting a lot of people to change to an insurance that covers it. One month after I got the new insurance, I got scheduled for the surgery. With a deductible of $2500 and 100% coverage afterwards, having to pay a few couple hundred extra for the insurance is a hell lot better than paying 30-40,000 dollars.

yeah i understand what you mean. That why i am looking for full time job with better medical insurance cover. I dont know if my part time job's insurance may cover it but will talk with them on june 25th when sign up for benfits and insurance stuff.

yeah i understand what you mean. That why i am looking for full time job with better medical insurance cover. I dont know if my part time job's insurance may cover it but will talk with them on june 25th when sign up for benfits and insurance stuff.

Good luck on that. I do not have a job currently, so I had to put under my parents insurance. Fortunately it is sort of a plus for my parents as they now do get a hell lot better coverage.

Back