Child's Ear Infections....

Angel

♥"Concrete Angel"♥
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ear Infections: The more you know, the more you can help...

Does any of this happen in your home?

*Has been crying all night
*Won't eat
*Wakes up every hour or two
*Runs a fever
*Pulls at his or her ears

If so, your child may have an ear infection...Bacteria often cause this problem. Antibiotics may help, but sometimes they don't..You play a big role in getting your child well..The more you know about ear infections , the better you can fight them...

What causes an ear infection?

An ear infection begins when fluid builds up in the middle ear. ( The middle ear is the space just behind the eardrum. The eardrum is found in the ear. ) When this fluid does not drain from the middle ear as it should, bacteria often grow. These bacteria can cause an ear infection....

What should I do?

If you think your child has an ear infection, call your doctor. Your doctor may write a prescription for an antibiotic...But don't push for one...Sometimes it is not needed...Let your doctor decide the best way to treat your child...

What are antibiotics? How do they work?

Antibiotics are medicines that kill bacteria...They can also stop bacteria from growing...They do not treat VIRUSES or the flu..Your doctor will decide if your child needs an antibiotic, and if your child needs one, your doctor will decide which antibiotic is the right one....

Are antibiotics good for fighting colds?

NO!! They don't work against colds or flu...VIRUSES cause colds and the flu....Antibiotics treat BACTERIAL infections..Your doctor can tell the difference...

How will my doctor decide which antibiotic, if any , is right for my child?

Your doctor will think about many things when choosing an antibiotic...Ease of dosing is only one of them...Only your doctor can decide what kind of infection your child has....He or she can also decide the best way to treat the infection....

You may live in an area where there is a high rate of ' resistance ' This means that some antibiotics may not work for your child where you live...Your doctor will think about this when prescribing an antibiotic for your child....

If my child feels better, Does my child need to take the rest of the doses?

YES!! Your child may start to feel better before all of this doses have been taken but if you stop early, the infection might not be gone...Give your child ALL of the doses your doctor tells you must be taken....

TIPS:

*If you think your child has an ear infection, see a doctor...

*Let your doctor decide if an antibiotic is needed

*Don't ask for an antibiotic if your child has a cold or the flu...VIRUSES cause these...An antibiotic won't work....

*Give your child ALL of the doses on the bottle label...Finish the FULL prescription....

*Don't give one child's antibiotic to a sibling

*Throw away any leftover medicine after your child takes all of the doses the doctor say must be taken....

*Listen to your doctor...Follow your doctor's instructions....Give doses at the right time as many days as neededddd...

*Always keep medicine out of the reach of children...

Interesting...

My 1st son suffered when he was a little boy. I know it´s terrible painful when I see him suffered.. He cries for pain...

My doctor gave me tip how to avoid ear infection in the future is:

The children has to wear warm hat to cover their ears when the cold or windy comes.

Never open the car window while you are driving because it could cause ear infection. I know the children likes to open the window to let it windy on them while their parents are driving.

That´s why I forbid my boys to open the car windows while I am still driving on the motorway (freeway) etc since I had bad experience with my 1st son over that.

Interesting thread there ^Angel^, especially with the cold weather season coming up...great useful information for any parent during times when a child has an ear infection! ;)

I can remember the days when either two of my daughers had ear infections when they were still babies...ohhhh...I would do sooo much for them and they still would cry their eyes out practically throughout the night and of course, I would hold them up to my shoulders and walk back and forth down the hallway...gee, I would always lose count how many times I walked up and down...gee, must have been a gazillion of times! But hey, it was the least I could do to make my daughters more comfortable...and sure enough, a couple of times when one of them would stop crying and then I would gently and quietly put her down in the crib, as soon as my hands would leave the crib, the crying would start all over again!! I would ALWAYS 'blow' out steam or frustrations and take a few deep breaths before picking her up again and be on my way merrily down the hallway once again! :cool:

I used to have awful ear infections as a kid. However, my docs could never ever tell as it is VERY difficult to see inside my ears (born with no ear canals or eardrums) so my parents would drive me to the ER, and the doc would have the hardest time ever trying to see inside my ears with that otoscope thingy ...I was always like "You're not gonna see anything in there!"

I did not suffer from ear infections until 6th grade in one ear. One time only. I suffered from frequent earwax. It happened often that it hurt really bad like an ear infection except it is does not cause needle-like prickling pain. It was more like a thorough pain. My mom suffered from this as a child too, so it may be genetic. I have a paper that states it as an ear infection, but it's not, it's simply a big ear wax in the ear. It's not an ear infection unless it has yellow color like a Highlighter. I thought I had the earwax again in 6th grade, but it wasn't. I never hear people talk about ear wax problems. Wonder why....

I had alot of ear infections too when growing up since birth.. It was horrible I still get them but not as often as I did when I was younger... But Jordan also had the same issue when he was a baby too until he was I think until the age of 2 he haven't ever since got an ear infection.. I thought he would be deaf too when he kept getting those ear infections. This is a good information you have Listed ^Angel^, Thanks! :thumb:

also smoking around ur kid makes the ear infection risk go higher.

I got alot of ear infections when i was young. so does sean he gets alot ear infetions too.. guess its part of gene.

ive had ear infections occur so many times i lost count (even cleaning my mold did not accomplish anything) -- this is particularly true in my left ear which is the same one i use for hearing aid -- this 1 year i had a particularly BAD ear infection and i couldnt get appt with the doc fast enuf so while i was waiting i decided to ditch my hearing aid (mom and others complain when i do NOT wear hearing aid :roll: which happens to be on my list of peeves) -- i just ditched it on my bed and forgot abt it -- then as the day went on, one of the cats found my hearing aid and she got all excited and got started licking on the mold "cleaning" it and i thought OMG thats disgusting! and i took it away from her but she only followed and swiped it back no matter where i had put it (u know cats and their agility) so i gave up and let her lick to her heart's content -- next day i had to put on my hearing aid it HURT like fuck but damn i put it on anyway -- at the end of the day the infection was GONE! i was :jaw: and became a believer so i let the cat lick my mold clean daily for a long time and in that time span ive not had an ear infection! :thumb:

not all cats would lick the mold -- try offering it to the cat to see if he/she would get all excited or just ignore it

i has ear infection since i was young.. last time was stopped when i was 20 yrs old.. since havent get it.. it was hurt!!! i hate that!!! but Angel, good post here!

i never have ear infections in my whole life... unless i had some when i was a baby and doesnt remember *shrugs* but then.. i never use hearing aids.. they dont really help me since im profoundly deaf... but thanks for tips.. ill keep them in mind when i get kids in future (im wayyy too young to have a kid right now heheh i party too much right now and doesnt want that to be effected my kid so i m waiting till im ready)

Back