Charles and Camilla are now married....

Nancy

Reaction score
Charles and Camilla are now married....

Here's the link: http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2005/04/09/international/i050103D27.DTL

Prince Charles and Camilla Parker Bowles were married Saturday at the 17th century Guildhall, capping a decades-long love affair that lasted through the prince's first marriage to Princess Diana.

The couple emerged from Guildhall to the cheers of onlookers and a jazz band playing, "Congratulations." They drove to Windsor Castle in a Rolls-Royce for a blessing ceremony at St. George's Chapel to be attended by Charles' mother, Queen Elizabeth II, and conducted by Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams.

Many of the wedding guests, including Charles' sons William and Harry, were driven to the wedding in a rented bus. Parker Bowles' ex-husband, Andrew, also was among the fewer than 30 guests at the civil ceremony.

The bride wore an oyster silk basketweave coat with a herringbone stitch and a matching chiffon dress. She also wore a matching straw and lace hat with feather details.

Charles, in contrast to the military uniform he wore for his first wedding to Diana, was dressed in formal morning wear.

The hall was lined with Jasmine and Lily of the Valley — known to symbolize the return of happiness.

Waving Union Jack flags or raising banners honoring Diana, crowds lining the streets of the handsome riverside town of Windsor waited in chilly sunshine for the nuptials, which were postponed so Charles could attend Friday's funeral of Pope John Paul II in Rome.

"It's up to him who he marries," said Barbara Murray, 41, who camped overnight with her two daughters to stake out a vantage point to see the couple. "Whoever he chose wouldn't be the same as Diana."

Nearly eight years after Diana's death, some have bridled at accepting Camilla Parker Bowles as a future queen, seeing her relationship with Charles as the reason his first marriage fell apart.

"She broke up their marriage," said Yvonne Williams, 67, who raised a banner that read: "Long live the Queen, Diana Forever: King Charles, Queen Camilla — Never."

Security was very tight. In addition to sharpshooters on rooftops, plainclothes officers moved around in the crowd, dogs sniffed for bombs, and normally unarmed police carried handguns in the streets around Windsor Castle.

Thames Valley Police, responsible for security outside the castle, had 550 officers on duty and Scotland Yard, which is in charge inside the castle, had dozens more.

Parker Bowles technically will be the Princess of Wales — a title she wishes to avoid using, in deference to memories of Diana. Instead, she will be known as the Duchess of Cornwall.

When Charles takes the throne, Parker Bowles legally will be queen, but she wishes to be known as Princess Consort — a bow to opinion polls that show 70 percent of the population opposed to Queen Camilla.

On Friday, Prince Charles joined world leaders and hundreds of thousands of pilgrims at the funeral of Pope John Paul II at the Vatican.

Parker Bowles, meanwhile, met Friday with her couturier, milliner and cobbler — adding the finishing touches to her wedding day outfit, which was kept top secret.

In keeping with tradition, Parker Bowles spent Friday night at Clarence House, the London residence of the Prince of Wales, while Prince Charles spent the night at his country mansion in Gloucestershire, with his sons Princes William and Harry.

Parker Bowles, wearing a blue jacket, smiled and waved Saturday morning as she set out for Windsor, a riverside town 20 miles west of London.

Inside Windsor Castle's gates, tents were erected for the media, while every vantage point, from private balconies to the roof of a local liquor store, was converted into a temporary broadcast location.

Hotels were fully booked, and souvenir shops were doing a brisk trade in royal wedding mugs and tea towels.

Charles met Camilla Shand more than 30 years ago and discovered they shared a common love of rural life.

Her great-grandmother Alice Keppel had a love affair with King Edward VII, Charles' great-great-grandfather. The young Camilla is said to have brought that up after meeting the prince at a polo match in the early 1970s.

"My great-grandmother was your great-great-grandfather's mistress, so how about it?" she is reported to have told the prince.

But he sailed off with the Royal Navy without cementing their relationship. In his absence, she married Andrew Parker Bowles.

In 1981, the prince married 20-year-old Diana Spencer at St. Paul's Cathedral, a storybook wedding watched by thousands.

The young princess won the nation's heart, but she did not hold her husband's. Charles acknowledged years later that he had broken his marriage vows after the marriage deteriorated and despite his and Diana's efforts to save it.

"There were three of us in that marriage," Diana said later — but she admitted affairs of her own.

Many Britons took Diana's view, vilifying Parker Bowles as a royal home-wrecker.

Charles and Diana were divorced in 1996, a year after the Parker Bowles' marriage dissolved.

After Diana's death in 1997, Charles and Parker Bowles cautiously began making their relationship public. Their first public appearance together came in 1999; the first public kiss in 2001. In February, the prince and Parker Bowles announced that they would wed.

The wedding faced a series of obstacles, including the debate over what title Parker Bowles would take.

Charles and Parker Bowles initially planned to marry at Windsor Castle but were forced to choose the decidedly more downscale town hall. Then the queen decided not to attend the civil ceremony, immediately prompting rumors of a royal snub, although she agreed to be present at the blessing ceremony and host the reception.

Speculation later surfaced about whether the wedding would be legal. But the registrar general dismissed a series of objections and the government's chief legal adviser said there were no legal obstacles.

It´s good to know that they married at last after 30 years.....

Camilla is Camilla

Diana is Diana

This is so........ I has to accept what they are.....

Remember that Camilla is not Diana but she´s woman, Charles love for 30 years.

Remember that Charles has to marry Diana to get throne line which it´s WRONG.

Charles really dont want to marry Diana that´s what he said this few days before wedding day but Camilla got him to marry her ahead. Diana also said the same after learn about Charles and Camilla but she´s too scared to cancel her wedding because of people, stamps, cups, etc etc etc. She thought Charles would forget Camilla to start a new life with Diana after married but she is WRONG! Charles still contact Camilla via phone or write DURING his honeymoon with Diana. :( That´s what I read "Diana True story" book.

Remember that love is toooo powerful than "sensible" what Royals wants.

I beleive Diana would be happy for Charles & Camilla when she is alive because she KNEW Charles loves only Camilla.

Now, I say: I´m happy for Charles and Camilla because they deserve each other for love.

I really dont understand why people juding and bitching Camilla.

Charles should have married Camilla in first place if she is his true love. I understand that Camilla was married at that time, but she did get divorced not too long after. I remember at that time, it was hoped that Charles would eventually become king if he marries Diana who had never been married. Anyhow, I do wish Charles and Camilla happiness. I really liked Diana a lot, but they were not for each other. If I was Diana and I had doubt about marrying Charles cuz he was still carring old torch, I would not marry him even if all the invitations were printed, soveniors made, everything else is ready for the wedding, etc. I know it's embarrassing that the world would know my problem with Charles by cancelling wedding, but it will be short lived rather than going ahead and marrying Charles and suffer years of consequence being in unloved marriage. Marriage should be about love, period. Not because it was "proper" person to marry, wealth, fame or anything else.

Peachy Lady said:
Marriage should be about love, period. Not because it was "proper" person to marry, wealth, fame or anything else.

Exactly Peachylady....

Peachy Lady said:
Charles should have married Camilla in first place if she is his true love. I understand that Camilla was married at that time, but she did get divorced not too long after. I remember at that time, it was hoped that Charles would eventually become king if he marries Diana who had never been married. Anyhow, I do wish Charles and Camilla happiness. I really liked Diana a lot, but they were not for each other. If I was Diana and I had doubt about marrying Charles cuz he was still carring old torch, I would not marry him even if all the invitations were printed, soveniors made, everything else is ready for the wedding, etc. I know it's embarrassing that the world would know my problem with Charles by cancelling wedding, but it will be short lived rather than going ahead and marrying Charles and suffer years of consequence being in unloved marriage. Marriage should be about love, period. Not because it was "proper" person to marry, wealth, fame or anything else.

Yes, I second that.

I love Diana because I saw her 3 times in real life... but I know she is not woman, Charles love but Camilla.

This is so.

Peachy Lady said:

:gpost: I agree Peachlady wholeheartly :)

Liebling said:
I really dont understand why people juding and bitching Camilla

It's not only Camilla that I have a problem with, However We are allow to have an opinion, When Prince Charles and Princess Diana marriage, He married her for the wrong reason, used her for all she was worth. I still think Prince Charles is a low snob on earth, not for marrying Camilla but for what he did to Diana. He and her got married in 1981, had a first child in a year later 1982 where they had Williams in 1984 Harry arrived. So, If he really loves Camilla like he said he does for years, He had no business making love to Diana and made children together. I felt Diana pains that she was going through with Prince Charles and I have no respect for him nor men like him.

yeah...suppose if Charles never married Diana in first place, she might have been alive today, being married to someone else instead. Sigh...

Cheri said:
It's not only Camilla that I have a problem with, However We are allow to have an opinion, When Prince Charles and Princess Diana marriage, He married her for the wrong reason, used her for all she was worth. I still think Prince Charles is a low snob on earth, not for marrying Camilla but for what he did to Diana. He and her got married in 1981, had a first child in a year later 1982 where they had Williams in 1984 Harry arrived. So, If he really loves Camilla like he said he does for years, He had no business making love to Diana and made children together. I felt Diana pains that she was going through with Prince Charles and I have no respect for him nor men like him.

Yes, I understand.

Yes, I know what Charles treat Diana horrible/dirt as what I read Diana´s true life book.

Yes, I know Charles only marry Diana to get throne line which it´s WRONG. Charles know that Diana love him since she was teenager (accord Diana´s true life book). She trust Camilla that she still love Charles... That´s how she told Charles about Diana and suggest him to marry her to give him throne line what he wants. All what they did horrible... Yes, I know.

Diana dont want divorce but Charles. She still love him but she accept slowly that Camilla is only woman in Charles´s life.

Diana and Charles learn to understand each other well after separation and divorce.

Yes, I know what you are try to saying but it belongs past. Everyone make mistakes... Nobody could be prefect. Let it move on and then leave Diana rest in peace.

Of course Camilla will NEVER replace as Diana but herself as Camilla. This is so. People realized slowly that Charles should marry Camilla at 30 years ago instead of Diana. It make worst that Charles "must" marry like what Peachy Lady mention in her post.

I know it´s hard to forget about their past but we have to move on and forgive them.

Peachy Lady said:
yeah...suppose if Charles never married Diana in first place, she might have been alive today, being married to someone else instead. Sigh...

Good point...

Dodi would never meet Diana if she is not well known in the world as "Princess of heart" . She would of marry someone else like what her siblings did... normal and ordinary life.... She would of still work at Kindergarden... still alive ......... :(

Liebling:-))) said:
Good point...

Dodi would never meet Diana if she is not well known in the world as "Princess of heart" . She would of marry someone else like what her siblings did... normal and ordinary life.... She would of still work at Kindergarden... still alive ......... :(

I read many years ago in article about Diana working at Kindergarten. She knew sign language and was working with some deaf students! Diana died because papparazzi was chasing her vehicle...it distracted the driver. If she wasn't as famous, there would be no hounding papparazzi taking pictures of her unexpectedly all the time. Often times I would see pictures of Diana being distressed because she was trying sooo hard to have normal life for herself and her sons. At that time, I kept thinking to myself...geez!! She is really like any of us that deserve to have some privacy! She was already born into royalty family, but if she never dated or married Charles, her life would have been much different today. Much less of papparazzi hassle too. I agree with Liebling, we need to forgive and let go. What's done was done and there's nothing more we can do. People that were left behind after Diana's death have suffered. We all just need to let them go and wish them all the happiness. It is very hard to stay in loveless marriage and continue to be kind to each other, so I can't totally blame Charles. I don't agree with what he did to her though. William and Harry also need to go on with their lives. They are adults now and know that they want their father to be happy.

Yes, I know what you are try to saying but it belongs past. Everyone make mistakes... Nobody could be prefect. Let it move on and then leave Diana rest in peace.I know it´s hard to forget about their past but we have to move on and forgive them.

Sorry, I cannot do that, I cannot forget and let it go because Diana was killed and nothing we can do to bring her back, Like what Peachlady said, She might would have been alive if she never married Prince Charles. She would have lead a normal life, and wouldn't have been embarrassed in public about how Prince Charles was in love with another woman that woman is Camilla. If that happened to me I would be embarrassed to face the public with shame that I married a guy who was in love with someone else beside me. Diana didn't deserved that at all. Just like I cannot let go the fact that Michael let his wife Terri die by starving her. Those men are snobs and deserve nothing from me even my blessing in their happiness.

I wanted to add that I am usual a forgiving person but, all those times that Diana had her tears every drop that came out of her eyes broke my heart, I felt her pains, I felt her embarrassment, Just like I Felt Terri in the postion of being starving for 13 days without water and food, that broke my heart How can I say, It's over with, forgive them and move forward. I can't because those women did not deserved this, No matter how you look at it.

I'm pretty much glad I'm not famous since I don't want to be chased by the papparazzi, they have no respect for the famous people's privatey....

I think they need to get a life....

You make me laff about her broken bird nest on her head. And even, her wedding flowers look too small for her aged.

I beleive Diana would be happy for Charles & Camilla when she is alive because she KNEW Charles loves only Camilla.
I believe Diana would be disgusted about Charles & Camilla. Charles and Camilla selfishly put their own desires before their promises to their spouses and the well-being of their children. I don't see any reason to be happy about that.

I´m happy for Charles and Camilla because they deserve each other for love.
Yeah, Charles and Camilla "deserve each other" now but it's not for love.

Reba said:
I believe Diana would be disgusted about Charles & Camilla. Charles and Camilla selfishly put their own desires before their promises to their spouses and the well-being of their children. I don't see any reason to be happy about that.

I second that!! :thumb:

Back