Charges against girl, 18, in same-sex underage relationship

TXgolfer

Dream Weaver
Premium Member
Reaction score
SEBASTIAN, Fla. - A Florida state attorney says the charges against Kaitlyn Hunt, an 18-year-old high school student who engaged in a same-sex relationship with a 14-year-old classmate, will not be dropped, despite petitions from the public, CBS affiliate WTSP reports

Hunt has been expelled from Sebastian River High School in Sebastian, Fla. and is charged with two counts of lewd and lascivious battery of a child 12 to 16 years of age as a result of the relationship.

The case began in February when Hunt was arrested and charged after the younger girl's parents notified authorities, reportedly when Hunt turned 18. Since then, the story has garnered national attention for what some say is a gay rights issue.

Kelly Hunt Smith, Kaitlyn's mother, created a Facebook page to gain support for her daughter in an effort to get the charges dropped, the station says. The page, entitled "Free Kate," had over 30,000 members as of early Tuesday.

Smith posted on the page that the girlfriend's parents "conspired with police to entrap Katilyn" because they disapproved of the relationship.

A similar petition on Change.org was set up by Kaitlyn's father, Steven Hunt, and has more than 56,500 supporters calling for prosecutors to drop the charges.

Steven Hunt claims his daughter's relationship with the 14-year-old girl was consensual and that the girlfriend's parents went to police because they blamed Katilyn for their child's homosexuality, WTSP reports.

The Indian River County Sheriff's Office held a press conference Monday in response to the public's uproar.

"If this was an 18-year-old male and that was a 14-year-old girl, it would have been prosecuted the same way," Indian River County Sheriff Deryl Loar said.

According to the station, Florida's law says any person who engages in sexual activity with a minor between the ages of 12 and 16 commits the crime of lewd and lascivious battery.

"The idea is to protect people in that vulnerable group from people who are older, 18 and above," Bruce Colton, state attorney for Florida's 19th circuit, said, according to the station. "...The statute specifically says that consent is not a defense."

Colton said prosecutors will not drop the charges based on the public petition. He said this case exemplifies the purpose of the current law and added he would not support any effort to make consensual relationships among
peers legal, the station reports.

"There's a big maturity difference between them," he said. "You're talking the difference between a senior in high school and a freshman in high school. That's what the law is designed to protect."

The second-degree felony charges are reportedly punishable by up to 15 years in prison and could require the individual to register as a sex offender. Colton told WTSP Hunt has until Friday to accept a plea agreement that would subject her to two years of house arrest followed by a year of probation.

According to an arrest affidavit obtained by WTSP, Kaitlyn and her girlfriend began dating in November 2012. The victim reportedly told police they began a sexual relationship and according to the report, the victim was 14 and Kaitlyn was 18.

As part of the investigation, Indian River county detectives reportedly a recorded phone call between the two high school students to develop grounds for an arrest. In the call, Kaitlyn told the girl she loved her, the station reports.

Kaitlyn Hunt Update: Charges against girl, 18, in same-sex underage relationship won't be dropped, despite public outcry, Fla. state attorney says - Crimesider - CBS News

Starting a new thread for people who are interested in this case. Current Events is probably a better area for discussing this anyway.

By the sound of it they might go to trial.

Here is the affidavit. Warning, this is pretty graphic. There is a second report that I have chosen not to post because it is worse. Tis is a lot more than "kissing"

Kaitlyn Hunt Redacted Affidavit Redacted

Note the "relationship" started in November according to the victm's statement. The 18 and 14 ages are also verified.

Sound like equal to male-female. Make no different. Why panic like gun?

I recognized that Katelyn's action is unacceptable and very inappropriate, so she deserve a punishment. The sexual contact has no place at school, period. There are many students commit illegal behavior, including sexual contact and odd relationship age nowadays.

I'm strong support of re-education and rehabilitation for first time offense, especially troubled teens and young adults, however murder, forcibly rape, terrorism, bomb threat and brutal assault aren't part of them and they should processed under normal court procedure and harsher consequence should imposed. It is interesting to know about states have different consent laws - Katelyn's action isn't illegal in Hawaii and some people have different belief that few years of age gap are appropriate, despite about taboo in overall country. The states are just like small country that break up with different government.

I support the justice for Katelyn and my view on Katelyn's case as injustice. I'm not going give a detail or reason because of sensitive information. For example, if Katelyn commit forcibly rape with evidence so I will have zero respect for her and will not support any justice. I have same philosophy for male to female as well.

I had terrible experience during my childhood, including elementary school and high school. If you are interested to share so ask me in PM and I will not share in the public.

Here is the affidavit. Warning, this is pretty graphic. There is a second report that I have chosen not to post because it is worse. Tis is a lot more than "kissing"

Note the "relationship" started in November according to the victm's statement. The 18 and 14 ages are also verified.
I noticed that she aided and abetted the other girl as a runaway. That's also a no-no.

...I support the justice for Katelyn and my view on Katelyn's case as injustice.
How is it injustice? Did the police not follow the law? Are any of the facts of the charges in dispute? Does Hunt deny anything sexual happened between the two of them?

I'm not going give a detail or reason because of sensitive information. For example, if Katelyn commit forcibly rape with evidence so I will have zero respect for her and will not support any justice. I have same philosophy for male to female as well.
Physical force isn't always necessary for a sexual assault to happen. That is very dangerous to say that an action is rape only when physical force is involved. That is very unfair to the victims.

There are all kinds of coercion (physical, emotional and psychological threats) that can be used against people who are vulnerable for various reasons (positions of authority, dependency, blackmail, etc.).

I had terrible experience during my childhood, including elementary school and high school. If you are interested to share so ask me in PM and I will not share in the public.
I'm very sorry about your experience.

Very graphic....and knowing also that a 14 year old is easily manipulated by an 18 year old.....and I do feel that is what happened here....

As for the parents of the young girl knowing that she was "dating" the older girl....I don't believe that....I feel the parents thought they were just hanging out as teens do....

Most teens want to be "older" and when asked their age, usually they lie and say they are a few years older than they really are...(my boys did).....

But Katilyn knew the girl was 14....and knew she was easily manipulated into this horrible mess....I really feel sorry for the parents here....but I don't feel sorry for the 18 year old girl.....it's a lesson hard-learned!....

How is it injustice? Did the police not follow the law? Are any of the facts of the charges in dispute? Does Hunt deny anything sexual happened between the two of them?

Physical force isn't always necessary for a sexual assault to happen. That is very dangerous to say that an action is rape only when physical force is involved. That is very unfair to the victims.

There are all kinds of coercion (physical, emotional and psychological threats) that can be used against people who are vulnerable for various reasons (positions of authority, dependency, blackmail, etc.).

I'm very sorry about your experience.

Do you see my quote?
I support the justice for Katelyn and my view on Katelyn's case as injustice. I'm not going give a detail or reason because of sensitive information. For example, if Katelyn commit forcibly rape with evidence so I will have zero respect for her and will not support any justice. I have same philosophy for male to female as well.

I'm not going give a reason or detail to answer your question.

Yes, not forgot about situation with my sister about 6 years ago.

Ah that cleared up some of the questions from the other thread. Now that explains why she is in deep trouble with felony. That is a sick behavior by Katie.

I am torn on this in a few ways. While I acknowledge that what took place is against the law, I do not think it should result in a lifelong criminal record. Consensual sex during the high school years happens often and, if we arrested every senior who has had sex with a freshman, imagine the number of adults living with a criminal record. Yes the law is the law and I do not, in general, support any 18 year old having a relationship with a 14 or 15 year old. However, this case (and similar others) do not need to be taken to the extent it has been. An arrest and lifelong stamp as a sexual offender? If the charges are not dropped, I think probation until she is 21 would be more than sufficient.

I noticed that she aided and abetted the other girl as a runaway. That's also a no-no.

That's usual for troubled teens, including my sister.

Back in 2007, my sister ran away from parent's house and joined the party. She was 15 years old during freshmen year and she drank a lot of Jack Daniel's until became unconscious. Someone stripped her clothes and touched her genital because she felt some objection inside. After wake up as naked and ran to parent's house, so my parent took her to hospital and the BMI was greater than 0.15. Due to her weight and height, it can be fatal but her life is saved. My parent grounded her and was consider about send her to military school, but due to psychological unstable, my parent cancelled the plan and launched the homeschooling, eventually took GED.

There are all kinds of coercion (physical, emotional and psychological threats) that can be used against people who are vulnerable for various reasons (positions of

In fact many are suggesting that this was hazing since the victim was a freshman on the team

I am torn on this in a few ways. While I acknowledge that what took place is against the law, I do not think it should result in a lifelong criminal record. Consensual sex during the high school years happens often and, if we arrested every senior who has had sex with a freshman, imagine the number of adults living with a criminal record. Yes the law is the law and I do not, in general, support any 18 year old having a relationship with a 14 or 15 year old. However, this case (and similar others) do not need to be taken to the extent it has been. An arrest and lifelong stamp as a sexual offender? If the charges are not dropped, I think probation until she is 21 would be more than sufficient.

What I have added the bold to is what troubles me the most. I seems to me that we should not be writing off kids at 18.

Do you see my quote?

I'm not going give a reason or detail to answer your question.

Yes, not forgot about situation with my sister about 6 years ago.
I wasn't referring to injustice in your personal life but injustice in the current Hunt case.

I wasn't referring to injustice in your personal life but injustice in the current Hunt case.

Same thing - I'm not comfortable to share with anyone.

What I have added the bold to is what troubles me the most. I seems to me that we should not be writing off kids at 18.
Many jurisdictions have Youthful Offenders programs that treat 18-24-year-olds differently. That is, they are still convicted of the same crimes as other adults but their sentences and follow-up are handled differently. I don't know if that's the situation in this case.

Many jurisdictions have Youthful Offenders programs that treat 18-24-year-olds differently. That is, they are still convicted of the same crimes as other adults but their sentences and follow-up are handled differently. I don't know if that's the situation in this case.

What has shown up in this thread and the other one doesn't sound like it to me. Is anyone in a position to know how to check for this for sure?

What has shown up in this thread and the other one doesn't sound like it to me. Is anyone in a position to know how to check for this for sure?

Not Sure. But we do know that the prosecutor has given Katie a very generous plea offer. 2 years of house arrest is a lot Bette Ethan 7 1/2 years in prison. 2 sources said they were willing to drop the sexual offender registration too.

According to the statute the "Romeo and Juliet" clause can not be used as a defense but it can be used to in sentencing and to remove SO status. My guess is that they will defer a hearing on SO status until the house arrest is over.....if she accepts the deal.

Back