AT&T stop two-year phone contract on Jan. 8

Chevy57

Sherlock Hound
Premium Member
Reaction score
AT&T to Stop Offering Two-Year Phone Contracts for new customers and existing customers in starting January 8.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/12/30/att-ditch-contracts-jan-8/

Purchase a smartphone at full price or with an AT&T Next payment plan.

Keep two-year contract for TAP or change it???

I know a LOT of people that are still with AT&T on contract because they are still being grandfathered in to their unlimited data plans. I wonder if this is also going to result in the death of unlimited data???

Last edited:
AT&T to Stop Offering Two-Year Phone Contracts for new customers and exciting customersStarting January 8.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/12/30/att-ditch-contracts-jan-8/

Purchase a smartphone at full price or with an AT&T Next payment plan.

Keep two-year contract for TAP or change it???

I know a LOT of people that are still with AT&T on contract because they are still being grandfathered in to their unlimited data plans. I wonder if this is also going to result in the death of unlimited data???

Same applies to TAP - no exemption and TAP is only responsible for data/text payment, not phone or device payment.

I use Apple iPhone Upgrade Program for new iPhone and I'm fine with it.

Verizon and T-Mobile ended 2 years contract to all customers.

Verizon or AT&T could end the unlimited data for all existing customers by terminate your account if they want and you have to sign up for new service.

I don't think they are supposed to terminate current AT&T 2 years plan customers. If they set up something new they are supposed to start now and not allowing 2 years plan customers to re-contract, simple as that.

I don't think they are supposed to terminate current AT&T 2 years plan customers. If they set up something new they are supposed to start now and not allowing 2 years plan customers to re-contract, simple as that.

Existing customers aren't terminated but they will unable to renew 2 years contract when they upgrade a new phone.

Verizon offer 2 years contract to existing customers, not new customers and I believe that they will likely to end soon after AT&T, also AT&T was first company to end the unlimited data before Verizon. Verizon follows AT&T on everything.

Speaking about legal contract - if AT&T want to rid of unlimited data for all grandfathered customers - they have to terminate their account for no charge. If AT&T doesn't stop selling new phone to grandfathered customers on installment payment so it looks like unlimited data isn't going end soon.

That's suck. Either new or existing customers CAN'T afford to pay full retail price on expensive smartphones or equipment installation plans. :(

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AllDeaf App mobile app

I think it is a way to force people onto the next program. You pay off the phone with monthly payments along with data, text, and call cost. I have an AT&T 2 year contract but my entire family is on the next program. If you want a new phone you have to finish paying off the phone you have. So my husband is on the next program and has like $200 left to pay on his $600 phone but his phone is so f up that he sometimes can't make calls or text but we don't have an extra $200 to put on a phone

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AllDeaf App mobile app

That's suck. Either new or existing customers CAN'T afford to pay full retail price on expensive smartphones or equipment installation plans. :(

Get cheaper unlocked phone like older iPhone.

AT&T and other carriers are losing a lot of money to subside the phone so not anymore and they need money to extend and improve the LTE bandwidth.

I decided to upgrade from my iphone 5 to iphone 6 (not 6s) yesterday..just a few days before AT&T kisses 2 year contract goodbye.

I plan to upgrade it to iPhone 7, but it is not happened because of AT&T's decision to boot 2 year contract AFTER Verizon and Tmobile no longer offer 2 year contracts. That leaves Sprint, but I bet you that Sprint will soon follow them anyway.

I still keep my grandfathered unlimited TAP data plan with my iPhone 6. When my contract expires in 2017, then I might buy new "used" iPhone and put my sim into that phone or brand new iPhone at a full retail price because I don't want to pay "lease" on top on my service payment plan..it is costly. Plus mobile share plan is a joke too.

I decided to upgrade from my iphone 5 to iphone 6 (not 6s) yesterday..just a few days before AT&T kisses 2 year contract goodbye.

I plan to upgrade it to iPhone 7, but it is not happened because of AT&T's decision to boot 2 year contract AFTER Verizon and Tmobile no longer offer 2 year contracts. That leaves Sprint, but I bet you that Sprint will soon follow them anyway.

I still keep my grandfathered unlimited TAP data plan with my iPhone 6. When my contract expires in 2017, then I might buy new "used" iPhone and put my sim into that phone or brand new iPhone at a full retail price because I don't want to pay "lease" on top on my service payment plan..it is costly. Plus mobile share plan is a joke too.

Are you HoH? use voice plan?

Deaf people aren't getting mobile share plan at all, unless they need for voice, especially for HoH and oral deaf.

AT&T and Verizon offer single plan for hearing people who aren't share or have no family.

If you know that AT&T stopping offer new phone on installment payment to anyone with unlimited data so you could predict that AT&T may have plan to kick unlimited data out, usually 2 years like Verizon did but Verizon hasn't kick grandfathered unlimited data out yet.

I will help my friend to go to Apple Store to upgrade from iPhone 5 to new iPhone 6 or 6 Plus(not 6S) today. He wants to keep two-contract data plan plus TAP plan. I'll ask how much money for trading.

Get cheaper unlocked phone like older iPhone.

AT&T and other carriers are losing a lot of money to subside the phone so not anymore and they need money to extend and improve the LTE bandwidth.

Should pay pre-paid data plan for unlocked iPhone? Right?

Should pay pre-paid data plan for unlocked iPhone? Right?

No, you can use full AT&T account on unlocked phone that you bought and AT&T doesn't have any plan to kill grandfathered unlimited data anytime soon.

If it is Verizon, it is different story.

AT&T do not saying that it is lease. They said smartphone is YOURS.

Attachments

• 1451826275435.jpg
    1451826275435.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 10
Sprint kills two-year contracts for all smartphones by the end of 2015.
http://www.androidcentral.com/sprint-kills-2-year-contracts-smartphones

But Sprint Relay Store still have 2-year agreement plans. Keep it? :dunno:
Smartphones require an additional $10 Premium Data add-on with the Sprint Relay Data Only Plan* with unlimited data usage while on the Sprint network. Requires new activation with a 2-year agreement or upgrade. Other monthly charges apply. Sprint Relay Data Plan: Pricing varies by device, requires an additional $10 Premium Data add-on for all smartphones. (Discounts do not apply to this plan)

http://www.sprintrelay.com/services/sprint-relay-store

Looks like someone will be losing a lot of business
and money

I will help my friend to go to Apple Store to upgrade from iPhone 5 to new iPhone 6 or 6 Plus(not 6S) today. He wants to keep two-contract data plan plus TAP plan. I'll ask how much money for trading.
they wont pay for the phone/trade... they will kindly take it off your hands ( so they can refurbish and re-sell... sell to a broker store that buy used cell phones.

No, you can use full AT&T account on unlocked phone that you bought and AT&T doesn't have any plan to kill grandfathered unlimited data anytime soon.

If it is Verizon, it is different story.
Grandfathered Data plans will cost $5 extra every month now. My wife works for ATT ( corporate) so she has to pay $5 more even that she is grandfathered and works there ( almost 15 years under her belt in the corporate office) even I dont get anything special.

Grandfathered Data plans will cost $5 extra every month now. My wife works for ATT ( corporate) so she has to pay $5 more even that she is grandfathered and works there ( almost 15 years under her belt in the corporate office) even I dont get anything special.

Same goes here for me since I still have a grandfathered data TAP plan. I don't mind extra $5 a month instead of shelling $$$ a month for mobile sharing plan..which is too costly.

What. Is grandfather phone plan.
I different country different rules I t/mob who treat you better than Brits.i intend to cancel contract all I want is unlimited tx

Back