ASL Instruction

saxxykitty78

Reaction score
so Kujulife75 eh.. sorry if I don't spell your username right :eek:
soo how to teach ASL in proper way?

Didn't see this thread until now, me blind! he he he
Usually, for my ASL I class, I do what ChelEler do, show them fingerspell ABC, etc... I make them practise the ABC by playing games. I don't speak with them at all, I just make them use their eyes to listen to me. I write on board, or draw pictures for the younger group. I usually teach by categories, like animals, food, etc... and play games according to the categories. I make them do homeworks by practising the words they learned.

Other ASL classes, I make them review material from previous year, and add more categories. I make them write skits and act it out. Sometimes they do body language for words.

I noticed that the hearing students have most trouble with body language and facial expressions.

Also, I noticed in my ASL 4 class, that they are stuck to use SEE. I asked who was the previous teacher, and found out that it was a hearing teacher who only knew signs for 3 years. I was like oh no! I have been trying to make them switch to ASL but they really have hard time thinking in ASL. In my ASL 1 class, I used ASL from the beginning, and they are really picking it up quickly.

interestin subject :)

heh I grew up with S.E.E that was my first sign language til I trasnferred to deaf school I started to use ASL more often now I use both of sign languages now ;)

Yup, but the point of the class is "ASL" instruction. If they wanted to hire me to teach "SEE," then it should be clear in the course descriptions that it is SEE instruction. Right? :)

I only see SEE as a tool to help ppl learn English and also in academic settings, but it has very little use in social life, if you know what I mean. I have nothing against SEE, but I try to encourage the hearing students to learn ASL and not to think in English anymore but in images, time and space. It is a challenge to teach them that.

Originally posted by kuifje75
Yup, but the point of the class is "ASL" instruction. If they wanted to hire me to teach "SEE," then it should be clear in the course descriptions that it is SEE instruction. Right? :)

I only see SEE as a tool to help ppl learn English and also in academic settings, but it has very little use in social life, if you know what I mean. I have nothing against SEE, but I try to encourage the hearing students to learn ASL and not to think in English anymore but in images, time and space. It is a challenge to teach them that.

RIGHT ON!!!!!! ;) I agree with u that it is SEE instruction.. heh :D

can we webcam and practice our ASL?? I am not fast and skilled :( I am too English Signs.....

Re: interestin subject :)

Originally posted by prettybebe78
heh I grew up with S.E.E that was my first sign language til I trasnferred to deaf school I started to use ASL more often now I use both of sign languages now ;)

same here

I use SEE. It wasn't hard for me to adjust to ASL. Just gettin' critized for using verbs in my signs. I critize them that they don't even understand what the difference between WAS and WERE. :p

I've taken two courses of ASL at Rhode Island School for the Deaf. The teachers there are really good, the only problem is I catch on pretty quickly and everyone else is slower, so I lose interest and forget alot of what I was just taught. It also doesn't help that I don't get to use & practice ASL very often. When I lived in East Providence deaf students were mainstreamed into my high school and they helped me learn new stuff and keep up with what I was learning because I would use it. Here (Attleboro, MA) I don't even think there's a deaf community here. No one's mainstreamed and I've only seen 2 or 3 deaf people come into my work. Now that I'm going to college I'll be in the same situation as I am now.

Back