Annoying ignorant hearing people stories

OK, my boss just took me to bar for breakfast beer, but nevermind that.

Not sure about the rudeness part. I think its more like we're being assimilated, lol.

But, being assimilated doesnt make sense because um, from my experience in Prague so far.. Uh, i think i'm more confused about whether if US can actually hold itself together.

I find it intriguing that Europeans are so easy to be communicative, i mean in body language/gestures/etc. Americans just dont know the dipshit basic. At least thats how I see it.

I better go and sleep or otherwise i would talk shit about American Empire and whoel lots more.
:laugh2: yeah i know....
lol
you're not the only one...

OK, my boss just took me to bar for breakfast beer, but nevermind that.

Not sure about the rudeness part. I think its more like we're being assimilated, lol.

But, being assimilated doesnt make sense because um, from my experience in Prague so far.. Uh, i think i'm more confused about whether if US can actually hold itself together.

I find it intriguing that Europeans are so easy to be communicative, i mean in body language/gestures/etc. Americans just dont know the dipshit basic. At least thats how I see it.

I better go and sleep or otherwise i would talk shit about American Empire and whoel lots more.

Not sure how I'm otherwise supposed to interpret the "I tell them my communicative needs, and they instantly put their hands in front of their mouths", but nevermind that. Just my everyday struggle that makes me tired, and it might not be their intension to reject my needs. I know that they might just try to make a joke.

Southern Europeans seems to be easier to understand, as they have vivid body language. Norwegians not so much, unfortunately :hmm:

I am HoH and I tell hearing people that don't know me, "I wear hearing aids, so speak to my face". Seems the hearing people are the deaf ones, they proceed to talk directly into my ear. I can't hear a darn thing then since I can't read their lips. This is especially common in Bars with massive background noises.

That's because the hearies can't even hear there because it's so loud, that they only way they can talk to each other there. It's a force of habit, you are the exception to the rule and you can't expect them to remember evey single time. This happens to me all the time, so as they're leaning in to talk inmy ear I start leaning back to keep their face in my line of vision, then they see what I'm doing, realize what they're doing laugh and apologize.

I am new here at Alldeaf. Hi, everybody :) I have been deaf since birth, and EVERY time I tell people I'm deaf and I need to see their faces to speech read, they automatically put one hand in front of their mouths for a few seconds. I guess they're trying to test me or be funny. I'm just really fed up with it, and I think it's incredibly rude. Has anybody else experienced that?

No.

I've had people I know, friends coworkers, cover their mouths, they're just joking with me and is usually within the context of what we're talking about. Smebody I've just met and told I'm deaf/Hoh and need to read lips? No, never. usually they take a small step forward, open their eyes wider and look intently at my mouth, like they're going to read mine, which cracks me up.

I bet there is thread somewhere out in the Net called "Annoying ignorant Deaf people stories"

From my rich experience, I see real confusion and misunderstand between Deaf and Hearing. Whose fault? It is not Hearing's fault, it is not even Deaf's fault too.

Sometimes I DO see Deaf people have unrealistic expectation from Hearing, so is hearing people have unrealistic expectation from Deaf. Sometimes, neither of them on the same page. The real problem with this is that 99% of the time, everything is based on audism. Hearing people use audio as primary method of communications though verbally, over years, verbal language becomes written based on audio. There is nothing visually in English language. When Deaf person like myself born Deaf and have no idea of what sounds is like. To me it is just black and white as if it is in visual. When I read some of sentence, sometimes they don't makes sense to me, or I thought of completely different meaning than Hearing people would have thought. I now can see why many Deafies are confused, and at the same time, Hearing people EXPECTS that writing using English is good enough to communicate with Deaf people and assume they understand perfectly clearly. Sadly, this is not the case.

As of right now, there is no such thing as bridge between Deaf and Hearing community. That bridge will not be build until both sides finally see the differences in between and translate closer to exact meaning then that bridge will build.

Totally agree. Actually there's probably not, because the deaf are not something the hearies think about, unless there is someone personally in their life who is. It's just not something they worry about.

They bolded, that is what I see the most of in this thread, that and prejudice. Most of the stories and anecdotes are not ignorance at all, but unrealistic expectations. I see an almost I am the center of the universe and everyone must bend to meet my needs attitude. Guess what, we the deaf/hoh, are the ones with the problem, we have to meet them half way, expecting the hearies to have to make all the concessions is childish, and expecting them to know exactly how to communicate with you when you're likely the only deaf/hoh they've ever encountered, and for them to never forget......is a bit ignorant.

how about that hearies have an unrealistic expectation of us to understand them?...there is some middle ground but it is largely unexplored and in my opinion its 'much thanks to politics and media'...well id leave it there for now

how about that hearies have an unrealistic expectation of us to understand them?...there is some middle ground but it is largely unexplored and in my opinion its 'much thanks to politics and media'...well id leave it there for now

Myabe, but it isn't nearly as glaring and it's far more understandable than the unrealistic expectations of the deaf. The thing is deafness is not so prevelant that the masses require an education about it. That's up to youas individual to make your needs known to the people you come into contact with, but this also needs to be measured with some tolerance. It is actually a natural conclusion for a hearing person to think that your aids correct your hearing, somewhat like glasses, why would they think anything else? if they've never used them, never known anyone that used them? So there is some degree of ignorance there, but in the context of most of the posts in this thread lean more to that ignorance is stupidity, when most of the actions described in this thread are anything but. The reactions of the deaf in this thread are very narrowed viewed and somewhat selfish.

Notice I'm not saying all, heck I've put my own stories in here, but most of ones on here? make me shake my head, because it's not just one sided ignorance going on in them.

I would like to point out that some hearing people who talk with deaf people with poor reading and/or writing skills think that deaf people are all the same. That's so fucking wrong. It's a stereotype.

I know. How? I talked with my hearing co-workers and they were SHOCKED that I write well and understand their writings after they have talked with other deaf co-workers originally.

If hearing people think that deaf people are dumb due to their poor English skills, they (hearies) are dumber.

(I am not sure that I have mentioned it before but who cares?)

I would like to point out that some hearing people who talk with deaf people with poor reading and/or writing skills think that deaf people are all the same. That's so fucking wrong. It's a stereotype.

I know. How? I talked with my hearing co-workers and they were SHOCKED that I write well and understand their writings after they have talked with other deaf co-workers originally.

If hearing people think that deaf people are dumb due to their poor English skills, they (hearies) are dumber.

(I am not sure that I have mentioned it before but who cares?)

Well....I was introduced to someone...and my friend told him that I was deaf....he promptly got a small piece of paper and his pen...and wrote down...."Can You Read?".....

After reading what he wrote, I looked at him, square in the eyes...and said..."NO!"...

Myabe, but it isn't nearly as glaring and it's far more understandable than the unrealistic expectations of the deaf. The thing is deafness is not so prevelant that the masses require an education about it. That's up to youas individual to make your needs known to the people you come into contact with, but this also needs to be measured with some tolerance. It is actually a natural conclusion for a hearing person to think that your aids correct your hearing, somewhat like glasses, why would they think anything else? if they've never used them, never known anyone that used them? So there is some degree of ignorance there, but in the context of most of the posts in this thread lean more to that ignorance is stupidity, when most of the actions described in this thread are anything but. The reactions of the deaf in this thread are very narrowed viewed and somewhat selfish.

Notice I'm not saying all, heck I've put my own stories in here, but most of ones on here? make me shake my head, because it's not just one sided ignorance going on in them.

We all have our history. Some of us deaf since birth, other late deafened.
We deal with our deafness and different situations every single day. It might be the only time that hearing person we just met is dealing with a deaf person. Yes, we need to teach them what we need, and of course it can be frustrating at times, and I guess we all know the feeling when our needs are not met adequately or simply forgotten. Over time at least I experience that I have a little less patience and energy to deal with those situations over and over and over again. Things that I didn't even notice when I was younger now it might frustrate me. Due to a lifetime dealing with it.

Well, someone once tried to silence another Deaf people during chat time because their signing will effect on someone's Deaf toddler's speech skills...

What do you call it?

yea i understand. not all deafs are demanding for attention, my guess is, the deeper your physical audiological deafness and the lower social class you come from, the more likely there are going to be more experiences of 'stupid ignorances' , on the other hand the wealthier you're from, less expectation of your going to be successful as in taking a lawyer profession as 'family tradition' or similar, like high profile business 'career'. - there im talking if you're a native ASL, or profound from very young and had dumb hearing teachers of the deaf who judge deaf student intellgcience on solely the merit of speech, al these factors sets up that sort of patronising behaviours, and ignorance.

ps. I noticed too that 'Career' is fast becoming a forgotten word it seems, for everyone, not just d/Deafs.

truely though i do get ya, and im interested to some of your stories (not right now I have to get back on essay, I only popping in AD for a daily digest and qips during coffee breaks, but when i have more space in a 2 weeks time id sit down and read...
:)

I was asked yesterday how my doctor allowed me to have children if I had a hearing loss. I wanted to hit that person so hard.

I was asked yesterday how my doctor allowed me to have children if I had a hearing loss. I wanted to hit that person so hard.

Yea, I have had idiots say that to me when I tell them that I am deaf. :roll:

usually, the mischievous normal hearing people will let the deaf ones teach them how to gesture lewd words and learn to use them shamelessly, which i hate most

yea i understand. not all deafs are demanding for attention, my guess is, the deeper your physical audiological deafness and the lower social class you come from, the more likely there are going to be more experiences of 'stupid ignorances' , on the other hand the wealthier you're from, less expectation of your going to be successful as in taking a lawyer profession as 'family tradition' or similar, like high profile business 'career'. - there im talking if you're a native ASL, or profound from very young and had dumb hearing teachers of the deaf who judge deaf student intellgcience on solely the merit of speech, al these factors sets up that sort of patronising behaviours, and ignorance.

ps. I noticed too that 'Career' is fast becoming a forgotten word it seems, for everyone, not just d/Deafs.

truely though i do get ya, and im interested to some of your stories (not right now I have to get back on essay, I only popping in AD for a daily digest and qips during coffee breaks, but when i have more space in a 2 weeks time id sit down and read...
:)

I think my first post in this thread I prefaced with something like, "this doesn't really have anying to do with "hearies" some people are just assholes" I don't remember exactly but something like that.

Most of the out right rudeness I got from "hearies" was during the time that I was in the middle of massive loss but didn't have hearing aids yet. So I was having an incredibly hard time understanding people, and they had no visual clue that I had hearing problems, no hearing aids. On top of that I'm late deafened, I was in my 20's at the time and my speech was perfectly normal so people often wouldn't believe me when I told them I was Hoh and asked them to repeat. Now that I have aids things are much better, they have that visual clue and for the most part people are very understanding and accomodating. So much so in fact that some of the stories on here make me wonder if I live on a different planet, I've never encountered anything remotely like some of the things people have talked about in this thread.

But I have a little bit of time I might be able to find my posts and link them, I don't think they're that far back in the thread.

okay this is my first post in this thread. After rereading it I think it's funny, I just reapeated a lot of stuff I wrote inthat first post in this ne, I see my opinion has not changed.
http://www.alldeaf.com/our-world-our-culture/91837-annoying-ignorant-hearing-people-stories-37.html#post2076150

This is my other "story" it happened during the summer, a great example of ignorance, some people just live under rocks or something I'm sure

http://www.alldeaf.com/our-world-our-culture/91837-annoying-ignorant-hearing-people-stories-40.html#post2099956

There was an incident that happened yesterday....recently I had eye surgery and my vision is still a little off, plus using eye drops 4x a day....my friend (hearing), came over and started "yapping away" as she usually does, but always facing me...but I was not feeling up to par yesterday, and told her to please slow down....she got or seemed a little aggravated by that......

So I blew up!...closed my eyes...and told her how I felt for so many years...trying to understand and lipread hearies....and now that I'm older....my eyes have taken a terrific beating from years of concentration to lipread everyone!.....

She did apologize to me....and it was sincere...so it's forgiven....with a hug....I'm sure hearies don't realize how tedious it is to lipread.....but if at some point their own hearing starts to fail....then they surely will!

Back