A question about deafblindness

CJB

Reaction score
I'm visually impaired and hard of hearing and was wondering if that is considered deafblindness. I know total blindness and being hard of hearing is considered deafblind, and profound deafness and a visual impairment is considered deafblind. But what about being legally blind and hard of hearing? Thanks to anyone who can answer.

I'm visually impaired and hard of hearing and was wondering if that is considered deafblindness. I know total blindness and being hard of hearing is considered deafblind, and profound deafness and a visual impairment is considered deafblind. But what about being legally blind and hard of hearing? Thanks to anyone who can answer.

Yes. deafblind is, as a blanket term, the combination of significant vision loss and significant hearing loss. Even 20/70 vision and a 'moderate' hearing loss would qualify under this definition. Basically, deafblindness describes the syndrome where one sense is impaired, and the sense one usually uses to compensate for it (hearing for vision, vision for hearing) is also impaired.

It's a user-worn term, too. It's your choice to self-identify as deafblind or Deafblind or hard of hearing or deaf or Deaf or visually impaired or low vision or blind.

As for me, I'm Deafblind.

I identify more as blind than visually impaired, but "blind" gives people the idea of totally blind, which I am not.

I'm definitely hard of hearing and learning ASL slowly. I posted another thread about tactile vs. close-range ASL on here which I'd be interested in getting your input about. Thanks!

There is a cultural aspect to it.

I am considered as a deaf-blind according to the CNIB, Canadian National Institute for the Blind, however-- I call myself Deaf-blind instead of Deaf-Blind. Why? I don't use tactile signs nor do I read Braille. All it is, is just a label. It is up to you what you want to call yourself.

The way I look at it is this: Deaf consider themselves culturally Deaf because there is a communication barrier and they embraces ASL. The Deaf-Blind who use tactile signs faces the same obstacle, and are limited to people that knows tactile signs-- so they themselves are culturally Deaf-Blind. However, working with the CNIB, there is no "blind" culture to speak of. There is blind arts, but that is about it-- if there is anything to denote about the blind, it is usually referred to the "blind world." Why? There is no communication barrier, and they are able-bodied and can communicate freely to anyone. There is a big debate or not whether or not there is a Blind culture, but that is just one's opinion.

Cultural issues aside, legally, if you are both legally blind and medically hard-of-hearing or deaf, then you are "deaf-blind."

I identify more as blind than visually impaired, but "blind" gives people the idea of totally blind, which I am not.

I'm definitely hard of hearing and learning ASL slowly. I posted another thread about tactile vs. close-range ASL on here which I'd be interested in getting your input about. Thanks!

That is their loss, not yours.

Thanks for you answers. I am learning sign now and and use print and Braille side by side. My vision problem is progressive so I will one day be totally blind. Part of the reason why I learned Braille.

I agree the language barrier makes the deafness and blindness issues different.

May I ask what you have that is progressively degenerating?

I, myself, have macular hypoplasia, blonde fundus and nystagmus.

I have aniridia and glaucoma as a result of of it. Blindness runs in my family (from aniridia).

However, working with the CNIB, there is no "blind" culture to speak of. There is blind arts, but that is about it-- if there is anything to denote about the blind, it is usually referred to the "blind world."
Well......on the other hand......I think there is a Blind ...not culture but more....Experiance that's different from what Sighted people experiance.
It's not as strong as the Deaf culture......
Oh.....and as to the OT, I think you'd be classifed as Blind-deaf. You're blind first....and your primary idenitity is of being blind/low vision.

Deaf Dyke, I agree with what you said.

I do identify as Blind before I identify as HOH. But it's easier to Deafblind -- sounds nicer. :lol:

There is DeafBlind Culture and it is as rich as Deaf Culture.

Culturally Deaf people that become Blind are those who are immersed into DeafBlind Culture.

We are just like each other in Deaf Culture only we have our own unique culture.

We do look down at other DBs having a guide dog just as much as we looked down at other Deaf people having a hearing dog.

I give presentations discussing the parallels between Deaf Culture and DeafBlind Culture.. discussing the dynamics of both as well.

Deafhood & DeafBlindhood and how vast they are in parallels are also discussed.

could you tell me, Mrs Bucket, more about this looking down on people having a guide dog? Is is that you don't agree with it? Am just trying to understand.

could you tell me, Mrs Bucket, more about this looking down on people having a guide dog? Is is that you don't agree with it? Am just trying to understand.

Please do ask questions, this is how we get to learn more.

In the Deaf Culture, it is perceived as "disabling" for a Culturally Deaf person to walk around with a hearing dog.

Vice versa for the Culturally DeafBlind community for a person who was Culturally Deaf first then Blind second to have a guide dog. Call it pride or egoism but it is actually an ingrained cultural trait.

We don't want to be perceived as disabled hence the fact we look down at those who allow themselves the privilege to be disabled. Hope this helps.

We meaning those who chooses to have this attitude.

Um... Guide dogs? No blind person I know of ever have looked down on others for having guide dogs. You would be the first one I know of INCLUDING Deafblinds.

And "DeafBlindhood?" Okay... I understand what you means here, in term of the original phrase, but wouldn't that get confused with the American skewed definition of Deafhood?

That seems strange to me. Is using a cane considered being perceived as disabled? I tried to join an online group for DB people with guide dogs, but they wouldn't let me join cause I use a cane. Do you think they might have been afraid I would look down on them?

What are some of the parallels between Deaf culture and Deafblind culture? What are some of the differences?

Um... Guide dogs? No blind person I know of ever have looked down on others for having guide dogs. You would be the first one I know of INCLUDING Deafblinds.

And "DeafBlindhood?" Okay... I understand what you means here, in term of the original phrase, but wouldn't that get confused with the American skewed definition of Deafhood?

We meaning those who choose to follow this attitude and I do not follow this attitude. I merely present what I see and experience as well.

Keep in mind that I speak as a Culturally Deaf person first and then as a blind person second.

The terminology DeafBlindhood does exist and it is not confused with the skewed American terminology "Deafhood" because this is where I present the parallels.

The parallels between both are quite similar. Deaf people will stamp their feed to get others' attention or wave their arm to get others' attention.

Culturally DeafBlind people will rapidly tap their canes on the ground to get others' attention and when I need to get my husband's attention, I will gently tap the back of his leg with my white cane to get his attention.

Other DBs with me, we will poke each other with the white cane for each others' attention. The white cane is an extension of who we are.

That seems strange to me. Is using a cane considered being perceived as disabled? I tried to join an online group for DB people with guide dogs, but they wouldn't let me join cause I use a cane. Do you think they might have been afraid I would look down on them?

I can't speak for the DB online group because I am not part of any online group. I prefer the IRL approach. I have a support group here and I still prefer the IRL approach.

To compare canes to guide dogs is comparing apples to oranges, IMHO.

A person who is using a white cane is quite different than a person using a guide dog. It's the personal experience that varies from one person to another. I use a white cane and to graduate from white cane to guide dog, you'd have to have excellent O & M [orientation and mobility] skills.

What are some of the parallels between Deaf culture and Deafblind culture? What are some of the differences?

I mentioned a few examples above and will mention a few here as well.

Deaf Community events, you will notice some Deaf people standing close together and signing quite close to each other during packed events.

During DB Community events, we all need our personal space otherwise we'll never be able to see who we're talking to or who we are tactiling to. We also need personal space to ask the person to sign in the box so we don't miss anything due to the tunnel vision.

Hope this helps.

Hello,
You can consider yourself deafblind. You don't have to be completely deafblind to be considered that way.

I am deafblind. I am an ex guide dog guardian. I don't look down on people who still have guide dogs, but I don't consider it right for me.

Usually, "blind" refers to those who are considered legally blind.

Usually, "blind" refers to those who are considered legally blind.

Correct.

This is where the terminology DeafBlind comes in when you fail the Visual Fields test, hearing test and are determined to the point of legally blind and severely deaf.

You would also need to be registered with either the CNIB or the Lighthouse. [any registered blind organisation]

Thanks for the explanations, Mrs. Bucket. I use a white cane and prefer it because I like the tactile feedback. I would love the IRL approach but I don't know any other Deafblind people in my area! lol. So I go to the next best thing, the Internet. Right now I'm only using fingerspelling but I will have to see how I do with ASL.

Mrs. Bucket, if you're tactile signing, don't you need to be within arm's reach?

Hi CJB, sorry for the late reply as I usually reply quickly.

I had to get myself off to sleep because my eyes were watering. Humidity does not help for me.

I bookmarked this site and this site is perfect as it explains the approach towards tactile and how to approach a DeafBlind person.

Very informative.

Tips On How To Communicate And Comply Effectively with A Deaf-Blind Person.

I also tactile my name each time I sit besides a DB person. When I leave, I tactile to explain why I am leaving and if I am returning. Even if it is just to use the bathroom, it is important you tactile to inform the person you are leaving otherwise the DB person would assume you are still there and he/she would be signing all to him/herself.

Back