A question about deafblindness

Do you have a list of these etiquettes online? It would be nice to keep them bookmarked.

I find it amusing that some of the approaches on that website works best for me, however I am not tactile, and my social approach is slightly different than a sighted deaf person.

:)

Do you have a list of these etiquettes online? It would be nice to keep them bookmarked.

I find it amusing that some of the approaches on that website works best for me, however I am not tactile, and my social approach is slightly different than a sighted deaf person.

:)

Proper approach to a DB person *PDF Format*

Interpreting with a DB

SIGNALS FOR USE WITH DEAFBLIND PEOPLE.

1. When you approach a deafblind person, let the person know by a simple touch that you are near. A warm, friendly handshake will show your friendly interest.

2. Make positive but gentle use of any means of communication that you adopt. Abrupt or exaggerated gestures might be misunderstood.

3. Work out a simple but special signal for identifying yourself, or tell your name if the deafblind person prefers.

4. Learn and use whatever kind of communication the deafblind person knows. If you know another means of communication that might be valuable to the person, offer to help him/her learn it.

5. Be sure the deafblind person understands you, and be sure you understand him/her.

6. Encourage the deafblind person to use any speech that is possible, even if it is limited to only a few words.

7. If there are others present, let the deafblind person know when it is appropriate to talk.

8. Inform him/her of the whereabouts of others present.

9. Tell the deafblind person when you leave even if it is only for a brief period. See that he/she is comfortable and safely situated. If the deafblind person is not sitting, provide something substantial for him/her to touch before you leave. Never abandon a deafblind person in unfamiliar surroundings.

10. In walking, let him/her take your arm. Never push a deafblind person ahead of you.

11. Make use of a simple set of signals to let him/her know when you are about to (a) ascend a flight of stairs, (b) descend a flight of stairs, walk through a doorway, or (d) board a vehicle. A deafblind person holding your arm can usually sense any change in pace or direction.

12. Encourage deafblind persons to use their own initiative and abilities. Encourage them to express their own ideas. Encourage their interest in new experiences.

13. Rely on your natural courtesy, consideration, and common sense.

Avoid getting flustered or irritated if misunderstandings arise. Occasional difficulties in communication are only to be expected with all people, not just the deafblind.
source

Last week I saw a Native hearing person which was blind as well. He was struggling with using his cane and quite dependent on the sighted community to intervene for him. I wasn't going to do anything UNTIL I saw how their approach was quite wrong.

I stepped in and ID'ed myself as a DeafBlind and would be happy to guide him. He reached out his hand for my arm but he was taller than me and I put his hand on my shoulder. This way he could properly walk and guide with his cane.

This is how a short sighted person guides a tall blind person.

Thanks for the list of DB etiquette. I'm going to save this and show this to friends and family!

You're welcome!

You both shared the causes of your DB and I haven't shared with you CJB the cause of mine.

Mine is Retinitis Pigmentosa. I'm Usher's Syndrome Type 1. [Deafness with Retinitis Pigmentosa]

There's three types of Usher's Syndrome 1 2 3.

You're welcome!

You both shared the causes of your DB and I haven't shared with you CJB the cause of mine.

Mine is Retinitis Pigmentosa. I'm Usher's Syndrome Type 1. [Deafness with Retinitis Pigmentosa]

There's three types of Usher's Syndrome 1 2 3.

Thank you for sharing. What's the difference between Type 1, 2, and 3?

Type 1 - born Deaf with onset blindness [starting with night blindness], astigmatism, wearing glasses all the time and noticeable vision loss.

Type 2- born hard of hearing and loses vision in mid 20's, starting with night blindness then gradually losing vision.

Type 3- born hearing and loses both vision and hearing in mid 30's.

Type 3a - born deaf and loses vision in mid 30's.

Type 3b - born hearing and loses vision in mid 30's.

Those type 3 a/b's are quite rare and are usually born with complex health problems as well.

Thank you, Mrs Bucket and all involved in this enriching discussion about people who are DB, etiquette, cultural information, etc. I really do appreciate! Very helpful and important to know, I will be interested to read more-

oh and the Usher's syndrome, I knew of it but didn't know about the variations -

my husband is deaf w/o aids and has severe visual loss due to undeveloped optic nerve in one of his eyes - birth mother had Rubella. His hearing situation is progressive, vision issue is not.

Hello,
You can consider yourself deafblind. You don't have to be completely deafblind to be considered that way.

I am deafblind. I am an ex guide dog guardian. I don't look down on people who still have guide dogs, but I don't consider it right for me.

When did you stop working in a guide dog team? I thought you still were, gee, I am behind on the news. What happened?

Mrs Bucket: I read your list of how to interact with DB people and am just going "what on earth!" to the part where it says "6. Encourage the deafblind person to use any speech that is possible, even if it is limited to only a few words."

.. if you do that to a culturally Deaf sighted person you will likely offend them. Why is it acceptable to do with a Deafblind person?

Mrs Bucket: I read your list of how to interact with DB people and am just going "what on earth!" to the part where it says "6. Encourage the deafblind person to use any speech that is possible, even if it is limited to only a few words."

.. if you do that to a culturally Deaf sighted person you will likely offend them. Why is it acceptable to do with a Deafblind person?

That was my reactions too. I speak anyway but not everybody will or even can.

Aleser:
I've stopped working Jilli as she is retired. That happened last December about. I got a crash course in long cane tecniques which I have found very useful.

I find cane better as it gives me more feed back. There are other advantages for me. I can get around in areas that are not so dog friendly since sometimes Jilli stays at home. Plus I take up less space on buses.

Of course guide dog is a personal choice which others will embrace, but for me, I think I am better suited to cane use, even though things did work well with my dogs and I was very fond of both of them. I may even get a 3rd one day, but NOT right now.

Aleser:
I've stopped working Jilli as she is retired. That happened last December about. I got a crash course in long cane tecniques which I have found very useful.

I find cane better as it gives me more feed back. There are other advantages for me. I can get around in areas that are not so dog friendly since sometimes Jilli stays at home. Plus I take up less space on buses.

Of course guide dog is a personal choice which others will embrace, but for me, I think I am better suited to cane use, even though things did work well with my dogs and I was very fond of both of them. I may even get a 3rd one day, but NOT right now.

Hey, I'm glad you got something that works for you. That's what matters.

I like the cane too, especially since I became hard of hearing. Whenever there is environmental noise, my cane tip on the ground is my only connection to my surroundings. It feels more direct than a guide dog's harness too.

Maybe this is better advice for Deafblind people that have grown up blind and then become Deaf/hard of hearing later in life. If the DB person uses speech to the hearing person, then it maximizes communication.

Maybe this is better advice for Deafblind people that have grown up blind and then become Deaf/hard of hearing later in life. If the DB person uses speech to the hearing person, then it maximizes communication.

If a deafblind person has speech they will use it anyway. If they don't. Or they find it difficult or don't want to use it for whatever reason that should be entirely up to them. I've got really good speech but sometimes people don't get what I'm talking about.

If a deafblind person has speech they will use it anyway. If they don't. Or they find it difficult or don't want to use it for whatever reason that should be entirely up to them.

Good point and I agree with you.

Speech comes naturally to me since I was hearing most of my life.

Aleser, thank you so much for bringing this up.

It is encouraged only in situations when the Intervenor/SSP/ guide works with 2 or 3 DBs in a small group.

I'll give you an example - I had a small craft group with 2 other DBs and 1 other blind lady. We would get together and make intricate night light covers with beads and wires. One DB would need to use the bathroom, the IV would get our attention & speak at the same time for the other blind lady to explain what she was doing. Leaving the room to guide M to the bathroom and she would be back.

M would be encouraged to speak out for the IV "D" using her name only. This is where we all share one same IV, "D". M would try to say "D"'s name to get her attention so she can be guided back into the room.

This is reserved for situations like entering and leaving a room, an emergency, not feeling well/about to have an accident/throwing up, etc.

This will offend a Culturally Deaf person to use their voice because they grew up not using it. However with explanation of this reason, some may accept but not all.

This is why I use Deaf Interventors because of the ASL and the Deaf Culture as well.

You asked about the acceptance of using this with DeafBlind, it is different between deafblind, hence the lower key word.

I will admit to chastising intervenors that talk to each other using voice only in the presence of the DeafBlind community. I will take the nearest DB person's hand & tactile what I say to the IV so he/she is not left out. I also interpret what I lipread to the DB as well.

I have been asked why I do this and I tell them they have no right to do this. It is like talking in a room full of Deaf people, an act of brazen exclusion when the interventors are supposed to follow the "With, not for" adage.

Type 1 - born Deaf with onset blindness [starting with night blindness], astigmatism, wearing glasses all the time and noticeable vision loss.

Type 2- born hard of hearing and loses vision in mid 20's, starting with night blindness then gradually losing vision.

Type 3- born hearing and loses both vision and hearing in mid 30's.

Type 3a - born deaf and loses vision in mid 30's.

Type 3b - born hearing and loses vision in mid 30's.

Those type 3 a/b's are quite rare and are usually born with complex health problems as well.

About 1994 my vision degrade, I went to eye doctor to exam my visions and the doc told me my VF is 40% that's my doc marked "Legally blind" on my documents and night blindess hard to see during night time, I use a bike lights on my power wheelchair to see on the sidewalk.

Back