A question about deafblindness

About 1994 my vision degrade, I went to eye doctor to exam my visions and the doc told me my VF is 40% that's my doc marked "Legally blind" on my documents and night blindess hard to see during night time, I use a bike lights on my power wheelchair to see on the sidewalk.

Curious question to ask you.

Do you use night reflectors on your power wheelchair?

I use night reflectors on my backpack and my big purse so I know that cars can see me and my white cane.

I use children's hand reflectors and made then into ILY hand reflectors. Cute, eh!

Curious question to ask you.

Do you use night reflectors on your power wheelchair?

I use night reflectors on my backpack and my big purse so I know that cars can see me and my white cane.

I use children's hand reflectors and made then into ILY hand reflectors. Cute, eh!

Yep I have reflector tapes on my power wheelchair on all sides.

I have a question about watching television. I have residual vision but not enough to see the T.V. (I can see splotches of colors on the TV but can't make out the image.) And because I am hard of hearing I cannot hear the sound very well either. Even though I can turn it up lots of times it sounds unclear, especially since there is usually music behind speech in movies and so on.

Are there any techniques for watching T.V. deafblind? I'm not sure, even something like Captions where the print can be made larger? I am new to deafblindness so I hope you don't mind all these questions. :ty:

I don't have a TV. The only advice I can give you is to get rid of the TV altogether and stick to surfing online with braille display and reading a braille book.

The last thing I ever tried to watch was Harry Potter and the goblet of fire. It was no use so I had to leave the cineama because I couldn't see enough of it to enjoy my film. Since then I've missed all the rest of the harry Potter films.

So far this is what I have done. My wife and I watch movies online and she tells me a lot what is going on. We put the volume up loud and I have my ears close to the speakers.

Action films are the hardest to follow because they have the least dialogue and the most necessary description. We prefer to watch more dialogue-centered movies, usually comedy-dramas.

I don't have a TV. The only advice I can give you is to get rid of the TV altogether and stick to surfing online with braille display and reading a braille book.

The last thing I ever tried to watch was Harry Potter and the goblet of fire. It was no use so I had to leave the cineama because I couldn't see enough of it to enjoy my film. Since then I've missed all the rest of the harry Potter films.

You know, there's a lot of completely blind filmgoers. Some theaters have handheld receivers for DVS (or descriptive video service) that you can plug in a standard-headphone jack T-coil type deal. If you have residual hearing, it might help.

Aside from that, why not take a friend who can sign or a terp with you? Rarely, the theater might even be willing to hire one.

Basically, there's no one right way to watch a film- but I've watched all the harry potter films, including the most recent, and can tell ya, it's worth trying. :P

Maybe I could try to go to the movies. I remember the volume was always so loud before so I might still able to hear it even though I'm Hoh now. Thanks for the idea, Aleser.

Maybe I could try to go to the movies. I remember the volume was always so loud before so I might still able to hear it even though I'm Hoh now. Thanks for the idea, Aleser.

If it's just a volume issue, almost every theater has amplification systems. just request one.

I successfully communicated with someone in a noisy environment using a Braille card today. It beats having them yell in my ear and me not being able to understand them anyway. :)

Basically, there's no one right way to watch a film- but I've watched all the harry potter films, including the most recent, and can tell ya, it's worth trying. :P

That's useful for someone who is Blind with useful hearing but not for me as I'm profoundly deaf and my sight such as it is doesnt work at all in most lighting conditions.

I did have enough useful sight and and hearing to watch the first two films. It was one of the theatres where the screen was very near the seats. I didn't get everything but I had read the book. So that filled in the blanks for me.
By the time the 3rd film came along I was fully deaf and it was right in the middle of hayfever season so I missed that one. I didn't see enough of the fourth film to captivate my interest at all and I left before the film was over since there simply wasn't any point in staying.

Yes I can carry on going to films but since I don't get anything out of it, there isn't a lot of point. Sometimes it's best to let go when something is so obviously not working.

I'm just glad that I can still enjoy the books. they are much better then the films anyway so I'm not missing all that much. All things considering.

I've only just got myself a terp. To be honest I would want to use a terps time to take me to something which was more tactile then movie going. Such as bungee jumping or handgliding.

I successfully communicated with someone in a noisy environment using a Braille card today. It beats having them yell in my ear and me not being able to understand them anyway. :)

That's really good to know.

:laugh2: Well the accident scene was on my usual path and I accidentally ran into the car that was involved in the accident and the officer was standing right next to it. So I just asked him briefly what was going on and if I had to detour to get home. :)

Oh no I wasn't hurt at all. My cane found the car is all. :) Thanks for your concern.

Back