"You're so lucky you're deaf"

ambrosia

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm sure I'm not the only person here who has heard this.

I'm thinking about it right now because last night I posted a picture on facebook of my daughter trying out her new clarinet. One of my friends commented on it "you're so lucky you're deaf". Although I have heard this many times for many reasons, usually when there is an annoying sound around. I feel this could be partly my fault, because sometimes I say things like that. Really though it's more me looking for positives and joking around. Know what I mean?

But really, really I'm not lucky I'm deaf. I'd listen to nails on a chalk board everyday for an hour if I could have my hearing back. I don't know, it seems one thing for me to joke about it, but something else entirely for a hearing person to joke about it.

Yeah, it's a tough thing. Remembering kids learning clarinet in band, all those squeaks were horrible. But now with my hearing going, I pay more attention to things. Although they may have meant it as a joke or meant to cheer you up; it really blows when friends aren't in sync with where you're at and say something that was insensitive.

Sorry you had to deal with it.

It wasn't really that particular comment that bothered me. Comments like that in general. I really do say stuff like that all the time, having my own built in volume control, or having the option to hear nothing at all. But that's me saying it ;) I know she didn't mean to hurt my feelings, offend me or anything. It's just...I don't know how to explain it lol. It just kind of insensitive when people say things like that.

Recently my co-worker told me that I am lucky to be deaf and gestured with his fingers in his ears because our supervisor always talks very loud to co-workers when she gives orders. He can't stand it.

I am lucky to be deaf.

My hearing daughter complain about stupid birds outside because she always hear them make noise loud. She can't stand them. She said I am lucky because I can't hear anything nothing at all. she said I m lucky to be deaf. I don't wear hearing aids. She knows I was born deaf. It was not my fault. No one is perfect, that's what I told her.

i wonder if people would say to blind person lucky you blind you can't see or lucky you in wheel chair saves walking, i think people be horrified, so i wonder why people feel it ok say that to deaf,just an observation

I can see why they would say this, at the time they're listening to something annoying they're wishing it would go away or they couldn't hear it. Then they look at us, and think, oh! they're not listening to this horrible sound, they're getting my wish, they're so lucky. Gah, maybe right this second you're wishing you were deaf, but once that annoying sound goes away you're plenty happy hearing. no we don't hear that annoying noise, but we don't hear anything else either, how'd you like that?

Seriously I don't think people hear the words that are coming out of their mouths sometimes.

Perhaps one interact is in different social circles - I have never heard anyone say that "I was lucky to deaf".
I acknowledge I have been bilateral DEAF only- since December 20, 2006,

I'm sure I'm not the only person here who has heard this.

I'm thinking about it right now because last night I posted a picture on facebook of my daughter trying out her new clarinet. One of my friends commented on it "you're so lucky you're deaf". Although I have heard this many times for many reasons, usually when there is an annoying sound around. I feel this could be partly my fault, because sometimes I say things like that. Really though it's more me looking for positives and joking around. Know what I mean?

But really, really I'm not lucky I'm deaf. I'd listen to nails on a chalk board everyday for an hour if I could have my hearing back. I don't know, it seems one thing for me to joke about it, but something else entirely for a hearing person to joke about it.

I know how you feel . I feel it us OK to joke about my hearing but for someone else to say I am lucky to be HOH how the HELL do they know that. I would love to be able to hearing my grandchild better when she talk on the phone to me. Your friend is an insensitive boob!

Just think....cats often get together, hiss, meow, and complain about where to buy and which catnips are the best.

Deaf cats just play with catnips and are happy to not listen to all this bickerings.

I do feel lucky at times that I can't hear all the vulgar language that some people speak....It's always "F-this...and M-F that"....Some people cannot even speak a sentence without using the F-word.....Totally ignorance and the garbage spewed out of some people's mouths :shock:....

Many times I've been told "you're lucky that you can't hear everything that goes around"....I take it with a grain of salt.....And all I can reply to this is to say..."well, I'm lucky enough to be able to see and lip-read the garbage...and that's bad enough."

i have heard about kids who have psycological problems, friend of mine went to deaf school,she said couple of kids there had condition of being deaf but not.they got no pity party from other kids,my friend said obvious they could hear but chose not to....you got big issues when this happen..
people may want turn hearing off for the situation they in at that moment it a form of running away...i went from perfect hearing to profound deaf more or less overnight believe me being deaf wore thin very quickly,i never new what total frustration with world was until then. lip reading i found hard and bsl good enough for conversation about ordinary daily events but something at deep level not easy....

I don't feel lucky if I am deaf.

I know right!! I want to ask them.....really?? seriously??.....and then smack on the head. maybe maybe if I was feeling particularly crabby throat or crotch punch them. :giggle:

I don't feel lucky if I am deaf.

Yeah I think there is nothing lucky about not being able to hear if someone is trying to break into my house or not hearing my baby crying at night and she was sleeping right next to bed. I did not feel lucky about that at all, I felt awful!

I remember sometimes people said Good for you lucky can't hear you are lucky

I am lucky! but I am deaf but if suppose lucky! hearing people said if suppose can't hear you are lucky! Glad of you can't hear!

People say that to me sometimes too... I find it insensitive. To me it's like going up to a black person and using the N-word..if you catch my drift. It's different if the person is poking fun at themselves, but it comes off a lot different and often times way more harsh than when it is said or gestured by someone else.

Usually it's a lack for a better word, suggest a correct way to tell you or move on.

It's just because they feel really sorry for you, and are looking for some positive side.

I think if it is said by a friend or family member it does not bother me. The way I look at it is if your friend stuck around after you went deaf, your lucky. In my case since my hearing loss was traumatic, most people are at a loss for words. I "hear" sorry a lot, it is better then nothing at all. In my opinion of course:)

Back