"You're not deaf"

been hoh since I was born, could be considered deaf in legal terms, but I choose to be whatever I choose to be deaf or hearing.

I dont sit and whine about what I DONT have instead I try to think of things that I DO have and run with that.

:naughty: And that would be your good looks, huh? :D ;) We've got to get you out of that chicken factory and in college. Any idea what you'd like to take up?

I was born severly profoud deaf but wasnt considered deaf cuz I acted like hearing person. Now, I learned ASL..I am deaf now. LOL!

I am kinda similar, I was born HoH though(moderate/severe hearing loss) and went to a hearing school, I received speech therapy and sign language training though through special assistance. Then may hearing crashed in my teenage years and now it is profound in the left ear and severe-profound in the right ear,

I can't use the phone, even though I wear a hearing aid in my right ear I can barely make out or distinguish the sounds with it. I use sign language with the deaf and I am able to speak with the hearing and read their lips very well (I even got offered a job b/c of my lip reading skills).

I consider myself deaf because no matter what assistance I get or how loud the sound I absolutely cannot make out what your saying without lipreading or using sign language, TTY etc... I can't use amplifiers or telephones.

Therefore I am not HoH because in my opinion HoH can usually talk on the phone with amplifiers or using their hearing aids. Though because my speech skills the Deaf snobs will not consider me HoH, I dare them to spend the 10 hours I spend every week going through a dictionary to make sure I am pronouncing a word right because I cannot hear how it is said:squint:!!

:naughty: And that would be your good looks, huh? :D ;) We've got to get you out of that chicken factory and in college. Any idea what you'd like to take up?

:lol: *blushes*, maybe. I did say I was a stunning model at one time. :wink: :lol:

As far as the chicken plant goes, yes I hate it very much so. Id love to get back in to college but I gotta pay off some bills first and get me a reliable vehicle. Shouldnt take too long though. Im not sure what Id like to take up, but Ive been told my writing skills are that of a college graduate (one of the VR people told me that). Id rather work with people so maybe something in Communications with an emphasis on print journalism??

:lol: *blushes*, maybe. I did say I was a stunning model at one time. :wink: :lol:

As far as the chicken plant goes, yes I hate it very much so. Id love to get back in to college but I gotta pay off some bills first and get me a reliable vehicle. Shouldnt take too long though. Im not sure what Id like to take up, but Ive been told my writing skills are that of a college graduate (one of the VR people told me that). Id rather work with people so maybe something in Communications with an emphasis on print journalism??

Your writing skills are definitely at the college level. :) You should be proud of yourself cuz that is a difficult skill to accomplish for many people both deaf and hearing. :) :cheers:

I am kinda similar, I was born HoH though(moderate/severe hearing loss) and went to a hearing school, I received speech therapy and sign language training though through special assistance. Then may hearing crashed in my teenage years and now it is profound in the left ear and severe-profound in the right ear,

I can't use the phone, even though I wear a hearing aid in my right ear I can barely make out or distinguish the sounds with it. I use sign language with the deaf and I am able to speak with the hearing and read their lips very well (I even got offered a job b/c of my lip reading skills).

I consider myself deaf because no matter what assistance I get or how loud the sound I absolutely cannot make out what your saying without lipreading or using sign language, TTY etc... I can't use amplifiers or telephones.

Therefore I am not HoH because in my opinion HoH can usually talk on the phone with amplifiers or using their hearing aids. Though because my speech skills the Deaf snobs will not consider me HoH, I dare them to spend the 10 hours I spend every week going through a dictionary to make sure I am pronouncing a word right because I cannot hear how it is said:squint:!!

U are not the only one! I was snubbed by many people in the Deaf community at first when I first started getting involved and I just told them off. Ironically, some of those who snubbed me are my good friends now. They realized their wrongdoings and have apologized to me. Sometimes, some people need a good slap in the face with a good dose of reality and will realize their unacceptable attitudes..others will never change and those are the ones I dont bother with.

U are not the only one! I was snubbed by many people in the Deaf community at first when I first started getting involved and I just told them off. Ironically, some of those who snubbed me are my good friends now. They realized their wrongdoings and have apologized to me. Sometimes, some people need a good slap in the face with a good dose of reality and will realize their unacceptable attitudes..others will never change and those are the ones I dont bother with.

I know where the ones that don't want to realize their unacceptable attitudes hang out!:giggle:

If African Americans can come in all shades, then we can come in all degrees of hearing loss.

I felt like I wanted to commit suicide when I was in Seattle, Washington...
in January...
My sister had no computer, internet or anything... so I can make a relay call.
My sister and I were yelling each other... we couldn't get along that day.

And I wanted to go back to Memphis... and I tried to call on the phone...
it didn't have any volume for me to turn up so I can hear well...
And when I called anyway to change my plane reservation...
the machine kept saying, say 1 for if you have reservation, say 2 for if you
have no reservation.
So I said 1. Machine didn't understand what I was saying.
I had to say 1 many times... and finally Machine said, "Sorry I can't read that, Please wait for representive who can help you".
The representive can't understand what I was saying and I tried and tried to
pronouce words correctly but I couldn't.
She placed me on hold and told me she got somebody to help me.
And so he helped me.... and I spoke, he understood me somewhat...

And then other times, I called relay... and people hang up on relay calls.

And I got frustated so I decided to use my voice...
I called and UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH....

I HATE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A foreigner picked up the phone. Ugh.

I could not understand what he said.... and I told him to slow down
when speaking English... cause I can't hear well.

So he spoke slow... and I tried to tell him my name... he didn't understand.

He told me spell my name.... and I did... and he doesn't understand me....

So I got pissed off, and got up and told my mom to come talk to this man...

And my mom said... "What? Don't you see me watching my Soap Opera???"

I got so sad.... I argued with her to come on and answer the phone.

And she finally picked up the phone, and she asked, "Hello? Hello? Hello?"
and then told me, "I think he hung up."

UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really really really wanted to kill myself on that day....
I cried... I was so mad.

So I called back.... and got an ATTITUDE....

I yelled at the caller on the phone....

It wasn't the same caller.... I apologized to that caller and
she took her time to help me out....

And when she emailed me a survey... I gave her EXCELLENT REPORT on
her for helping me.

I felt like I wanted to commit suicide when I was in Seattle, Washington...
in January...
My sister had no computer, internet or anything... so I can make a relay call.
My sister and I were yelling each other... we couldn't get along that day.

And I wanted to go back to Memphis... and I tried to call on the phone...
it didn't have any volume for me to turn up so I can hear well...
And when I called anyway to change my plane reservation...
the machine kept saying, say 1 for if you have reservation, say 2 for if you
have no reservation.
So I said 1. Machine didn't understand what I was saying.
I had to say 1 many times... and finally Machine said, "Sorry I can't read that, Please wait for representive who can help you".
The representive can't understand what I was saying and I tried and tried to
pronouce words correctly but I couldn't.
She placed me on hold and told me she got somebody to help me.
And so he helped me.... and I spoke, he understood me somewhat...

And then other times, I called relay... and people hang up on relay calls.

And I got frustated so I decided to use my voice...
I called and UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH....

I HATE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A foreigner picked up the phone. Ugh.

I could not understand what he said.... and I told him to slow down
when speaking English... cause I can't hear well.

So he spoke slow... and I tried to tell him my name... he didn't understand.

He told me spell my name.... and I did... and he doesn't understand me....

So I got pissed off, and got up and told my mom to come talk to this man...

And my mom said... "What? Don't you see me watching my Soap Opera???"

I got so sad.... I argued with her to come on and answer the phone.

And she finally picked up the phone, and she asked, "Hello? Hello? Hello?"
and then told me, "I think he hung up."

UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really really really wanted to kill myself on that day....
I cried... I was so mad.

So I called back.... and got an ATTITUDE....

I yelled at the caller on the phone....

It wasn't the same caller.... I apologized to that caller and
she took her time to help me out....

And when she emailed me a survey... I gave her EXCELLENT REPORT on
her for helping me.

Whatever, dude.

Whatever, dude.

I just like to talk... I can't help it.

I'm not trying to get an attention...

I just like to talk about stuff that nobody ever dare to talk about.
I just wish someone say... "I thought that too".

well go talk in a personal diary or something - youre taking up server space with these uselss posts. I swear you can turn an adult conversation to a three year olds level in a matter of minutes if not seconds.

Did I not tell you to go get a job???? Why are you here if you dont have a job?????

Deafer than thou? How much have you assimilated? Why does it even matter? I'ts either assimilation or isolation. Why anyone would choose to isolate themselves is beyond me. But then again, I've never been deaf.

Deafer than thou? How much have you assimilated? Why does it even matter? I'ts either assimilation or isolation. Why anyone would choose to isolate themselves is beyond me. But then again I've never been deaf.

Isolate as in someone completely isolating themselves from anyone or people in the Deaf community preferring to interact with other signers than non signers?

Isolation from the majority.

Perhaps it is because of the predjudicial attitudes of the majority. And one is only isolated when one is in the midst of an unaccepting majority. Affliliation with a community of individuals like oneself is not isolation.

Here's a question, rd. Do you surround yourself with people who share your interests and your viewpoints? Do you associate mostly with people who can understand you because they have had similar experiences? Do you, for instance, spend a lot of time hanging out with people 50 years your senior, or do you hang out with your own age cohort, because similar experience draws people together? Do you hang our with people who are French speaking, or Hungarian speaking....or do you associate with English speaking people? There's your answer.

Isolation from the majority.

Grew up with all hearing people, never felt at ease nor comfortable in my own skin. Discovered the signing community and for the first time in my life, I felt completely at ease and can really relax and really enjoy socializing. Maybe many others feel the same way. Is there something wrong with that? Who wants to be constantly out of their comfort zone 24/7? Yes, I do participate in the non signing community but for a short time cuz I would rather go where I can feel at completely ease and not have a tight knot in my stomach all the time.

Perhaps it is because of the predjudicial attitudes of the majority. And one is only isolated when one is in the midst of an unaccepting majority. Affliliation with a community of individuals like oneself is not isolation.

Here's a question, rd. Do you surround yourself with people who share your interests and your viewpoints? Do you associate mostly with people who can understand you because they have had similar experiences? Do you, for instance, spend a lot of time hanging out with people 50 years your senior, or do you hang out with your own age cohort, because similar experience draws people together? Do you hang our with people who are French speaking, or Hungarian speaking....or do you associate with English speaking people? There's your answer.

Why is it that hearing people complain about deaf people wanting to live their lives the way they see fit? Nobody in the Deaf community is complaining ..if they do, they do go out to the heairng community like some deaf AD posters here to and that is their business.

Grew up with all hearing people, never felt at ease nor comfortable in my own skin. Discovered the signing community and for the first time in my life, I felt completely at ease and can really relax and really enjoy socializing. Maybe many others feel the same way. Is there something wrong with that? Who wants to be constantly out of their comfort zone 24/7? Yes, I do participate in the non signing community but for a short time cuz I would rather go where I can feel at completely ease and not have a tight knot in my stomach all the time.
I do get that but I'm also sure the whole comfort zone is subjective and would suggest that not everyone will share the same experiences. I would guess it's also one of the resons some choose the oral approach.

I do get that but I'm also sure the whole comfort zone is subjective and would suggest that not everyone will share the same experiences. I would guess it's also one of the resons some choose the oral approach.

Yea...their business and their choice but it is nice to have the choice to choose from though.

been hoh since I was born, could be considered deaf in legal terms, but I choose to be whatever I choose to be deaf or hearing.

I dont sit and whine about what I DONT have instead I try to think of things that I DO have and run with that.

Ohhh I thought your hearing not hoh or deaf lol cuz I notice you learn ASL but Im wrong lol :Oops: haha :lol:

Back