Your thoughts on the BAHA

Huxley

Reaction score
Recently our doctors recomended BAHA implants for both of our sons, ages 7 and 3, whom are HH and non-verbal. Their ear canals are blocked by bone, causing the hearing loss, and expansion of the canals on our eldest son proved unsuccesful. As conventional HI's cannot be used due to the blockage issue, we have elected for the BAHA system, on the premise that we want our children to have access to the best quality sound possible. They both are currently using bone-conduction HI's.

Your thoughts, positive and negative, would be appreciated.

Hi Huxley!
I have the same kind of loss....I think the BAHA is definitly the route to go....the atresia repair is just such a HUGE HUGE diceroll. That's unusual that your sons don't speak. Then again apraxia is pretty common among dhh kids in general. Do they Sign?

Sounds like a viable solution to me. I can’t think of anything else that would be effective. No point in destroying perfectly good cochleas with CI’s, so that’s not a reasonable option. So bone conduction is the way to go, and BAHA’s represent current state-of-the-art bone conduction devices. My only gripe is that they’re so damn strange looking—why can’t they just make the processor look like a standard BTE, with an invisible wire leading to the interface point on the mastoid bone? :confused:

baha

There is a BAHA users forum you should check out: (there are parents of kid users here you could talk to)

http://www.baha-users-support.com/cgi-bin/2bb/2bb.cgi

I'm not a kid anymore (41) .. but I love it...

0f14a0e6477b1aa406415e3ad40652661_large.jpg

It seems painful but I just rather to wear cochlear implant over BAHA.

volcomskatz said:
It seems painful but I just rather to wear cochlear implant over BAHA.

It does look er...strange compared to a CI. But if it works and solves a problem for somebody, then it is a good thing! I agree with Levonian that they ought to make it like a BTE.

My only question is can it be removed? I suppose it does...anybody?

sr171soars said:
It does look er...strange compared to a CI. But if it works and solves a problem for somebody, then it is a good thing! I agree with Levonian that they ought to make it like a BTE.

My only question is can it be removed? I suppose it does...anybody?

Not sure, but I believe it "screws" onto a stud placed in the skull, hence the odd look. So it would be removable, yes (how else would you shower?).

Disclaimer: this is just a placeholder post until someone who actually knows what they're talking about comes along. I checked Wikipedia, but that's it.

Yeah, it does have a titaniam screw. Don't have one, but know many who do, since I have the kind of loss where lots of people get BAHA

This thread edcuated me exactly why there is such a thing as a BAHA device. Pretty cool!

Yes, its a titaniam screw in the skull ..and its more a button .. so the HA "snaps" in like a Lego or a snap on your coat ...

example: taken from baha web site
103_2.jpg

and Yes, I take the HA off to shower, I'm SSD so I can still hear without it ... but its a lot better with it!

Hm, interesting! My mom and I just discussed about ossification and wondered if the BAHA is also a solution to that problem as well?

You know, I wonder if maybe that might work...like the cochla is now bone, so I wonder if it woudl serve as a bone conductur thingy?

Back