your smartphone history?

It true. Newer ones are getting better. Old qualcomm chip was much worse I think android OS isn't designed very well to limit or priority the task on battery, need to manual user and define.

I still prefer 3G/HSPA device because it is fast enough for me and extra battery life.
Does 3G 4/4S get more battery than 5 LTE?

Hard to tell.

iPhone 4 and 4s are 3.7V 1420 mAh. iPhone 5's battery is 1440 mAh. I think my iphone 5 with 3G(disable LTE) and battery life last around almost full two days and LTE last around 1.8 days. Little longer than LTE. I use CDMA network. Yes, I know GSM is better battery life than CDMA but GSM's coverage is shitty in our town. So CDMA better. Good thing iPhone 5 have CDMA and GSM. So I can use GSM for Europe if i want.

Verizon 3G used fast like around 1-2 Mbps. Till Verizon LTE become popular then Verizon throttled 3G down to around 0.5 Mbps DL which it was awful annoying for slow on internet, maps google, etc. LTE DL take around 10 mbps. Plus we live in small town which it was not bad.

iPhone's battery was not bad. It's last me around two days with LTE network. Android is worse than iPhone for battery life with LTE.

Again, always take test first like test drive before buy.

Two things concern me most: speed connecting and ease of texting. Does Apple come with some kind of pen that allows me to tap the keyboard or do I need to use my fingers? I'll have to ask about this in Best Buy.....

Hard to tell.

iPhone 4 and 4s are 3.7V 1420 mAh. iPhone 5's battery is 1440 mAh. I think my iphone 5 with 3G(disable LTE) and battery life last around almost full two days and LTE last around 1.8 days. Little longer than LTE. I use CDMA network. Yes, I know GSM is better battery life than CDMA but GSM's coverage is shitty in our town. So CDMA better. Good thing iPhone 5 have CDMA and GSM. So I can use GSM for Europe if i want.

Verizon 3G used fast like around 1-2 Mbps. Till Verizon LTE become popular then Verizon throttled 3G down to around 0.5 Mbps DL which it was awful annoying for slow on internet, maps google, etc. LTE DL take around 10 mbps. Plus we live in small town which it was not bad.

That's sad speed for GSM coverage in USA. Yes, most of Europe is still GSM network with no interest in LTE since the 3G is very fast - easy to 10+ Mbits HSPA speed.

I guess something about USA networks that sucks.

Two things concern me most: speed connecting and ease of texting. Does Apple come with some kind of pen that allows me to tap the keyboard or do I need to use my fingers? I'll have to ask about this in Best Buy.....
Speed is not a problem, iPhone 5 is fast.
IPhone doesn't come with a Pen. Samsung Note & Note 2 have them however, you can buy a stylus pen seperately for the iPhone

Always check your coverage to make sure you get right network as ATT or Verizon or whatever where you live. Bad coverage = slow speed connecting.

Best Buy have many types of pens whatever your styles for touchscreen. Make sure you pick right pen because not all pens may work for non-pressure screen. Old technology of touchscreen can use position of a pressure as nails, any pens, gloves,etc but lack of multi-touch. New technology of touchscreen is not position of a pressure which not work for nail tip, wear glove, etc.

Nope, iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch do not come with the pen. I used pen for my old Windows mobile from 11 years ago. Now, I don't really need pen for my iPhone since two thumbs are quicker than one pen for type on the keyboard.

Nokia (can't remember which model number): 2001
Nokia 7210: 2003
Blackberry 7100v: 2005
Sidekick 3: 2008
Blackberry 9700: 2010 (Still using this one)

Now

Blackberry Q10: 2013

I can't wait to see next-gen iPhone 6 w/ less than 5" display will be coming next year??? I hope it beat Samsung S4. :giggle:

UTStarcom Super Slice (Virgin Mobile)
LG Rumor 2 (Virgin Mobile)
LG Rumor Touch (Virgin Mobile)
Sidekick LX 2009 (tmobile)
Samsung Gravity 3 (tmobile)
Tmobile Dash 3G (tmobile)
Samsung Intercept (Virgin Mobile)
LG Optimus V (Virgin Mobile)
Galaxy Tab (Sprint)
Samsung Epic (Sprint)
Motorola Photon 4G(Sprint)

Now Tmobile Samsung Galaxy S4!:P