Your Help Would Be Greatly Appreciated!

Well if you wait longer, it may result "no as great" hearing, and speaking fluidity.
What if they do get benifit from HA? A LOT of alldeafies ...and I mean a LOT learned how to speak fluently with HAs with severe and profound losses!
I'm NOT saying " wait til adulthood." As I said, I think that babies who clearly and obviously do not get ANY benifit from aids, SHOULD get implanted.
I have no beef with that whatsoever. Implant them, and get them enrolled in a really good bilingal program, so they can learn to hear and speak but also learn how to Sign too.
But, if a kid is still getting benifit from HAs, it's not like they are growing up in silence.

What if they do get benifit from HA? A LOT of alldeafies ...and I mean a LOT learned how to speak fluently with HAs with severe and profound losses!
I'm NOT saying " wait til adulthood." As I said, I think that babies who clearly and obviously do not get ANY benifit from aids, SHOULD get implanted.
I have no beef with that whatsoever. Implant them, and get them enrolled in a really good bilingal program, so they can learn to hear and speak but also learn how to Sign too.
But, if a kid is still getting benifit from HAs, it's not like they are growing up in silence.

I guess you missed the part where I said, if the hearing aids dont work, then I'd implant them

Post 54:
if the baby cant hear with hearing aids, then I'd just implant them.

Then what if the implant breaks? The kid be SOL?

happened to me remember?

Just reimplant, all good afterwards. With advances in medical today, the surgery is nbd leaving a real small scar and a few weeks of required resting.

Anyone talking about money, the company WILL pay for the next surgery if implants break, no matter what.

happened to me remember?

Just reimplant, all good afterwards. With advances in medical today, the surgery is nbd leaving a real small scar and a few weeks of required resting.

Anyone talking about money, the company WILL pay for the next surgery if implants break, no matter what.

I remember you whining that you couldn't keep up with school, couldnt talk to friends, etc.

I would never want anyone to be so reliant on technology to allow theirselves to get to that point.

I don't have a CI, nor am I deaf, but I wanted to answer the question.

I feel that the child should be involved in the decision. This can be as early or as late as the parent wants, but the best timeframe is between 4ish and 9 (4 being the earliest a child could understand the basics of the procedure and 9 being the end of the language window). At the point where a child is old enough to understand, it should be explained to them in the least biased way that it MIGHT help them hear/understand sounds and that it IS surgery. It's important that they understand these two things AT LEAST, IMO. If they understand, I feel that their choice should be heavily considered.

Basically, I have no problem with CIs as long as the deaf person was involved in the decision to get one.

Honestly, sign language can never truly be obsolete. There will always be Deaf people who won't or can't get a CI. And there are plenty of hearing people that use ASL as well (parents/babies and people with speech disabilities, to name a few). But CIs (if coupled with oralism) do encroach upon it a bit, IMO. So I feel that deaf people with CIs should be exposed to and allowed to participate fully in SL and Deaf culture. And then, if for some reason they decide it's not for them, it will have been their decision.

I feel that the child should be involved in the decision. This can be as early or as late as the parent wants, but the best timeframe is between 4ish and 9 (4 being the earliest a child could understand the basics of the procedure and 9 being the end of the language window). At the point where a child is old enough to understand, it should be explained to them in the least biased way that it MIGHT help them hear/understand sounds and that it IS surgery. It's important that they understand these two things AT LEAST, IMO. If they understand, I feel that their choice should be heavily considered.

Basically, I have no problem with CIs as long as the deaf person was involved in the decision to get one.

Honestly, sign language can never truly be obsolete. There will always be Deaf people who won't or can't get a CI. And there are plenty of hearing people that use ASL as well (parents/babies and people with speech disabilities, to name a few). But CIs (if coupled with oralism) do encroach upon it a bit, IMO. So I feel that deaf people with CIs should be exposed to and allowed to participate fully in SL and Deaf culture. And then, if for some reason they decide it's not for them, it will have been their decision.

Since you are not deaf or the parent of a deaf child, your opinion is completely irrelevant.

In addition to the sign language thing - I met two people over the weekend this past weekend that said their first deaf person they met was in college. They took ASL up after that.

One of them was a pre-med student that had to drop out because lipreading was too exhausting for her. :(

Since you are not deaf or the parent of a deaf child, your opinion is completely irrelevant.

Again, eh?

So EVERY CODA, Interpreters, and people who are closely involved with the Deaf community is completely irrelevant? Right.

Why don't you tell that to the people who are in AGBell that isnt deaf or has a deaf child? Why don't you tell that to the likes of Graeme Clark?

By the way, in the OP:

So the question I have for anyone who wants to participate is:

Again, eh?

So EVERY CODA, Interpreters, and people who are closely involved with the Deaf community is completely irrelevant? Right.

Why don't you tell that to the people who are in AGBell that isnt deaf or has a deaf child? Why don't you tell that to the likes of Graeme Clark?

By the way, in the OP:
I didn't comment to you when you decided to PM the innocent high school girl, even though your behavior to the last hearing woman you decided to befriend is fresh in everyone's mind.

I will take responsibility for my behavior. You think about yours and hope your daughter isn't used like you use women.

I didn't comment to you when you decided to PM the innocent high school girl, even though your behavior to the last hearing woman you decided to befriend is fresh in everyone's mind.

I will take responsibility for my behavior. You think about yours and hope your daughter isn't used like you use women.

Keep in mind, you only know one side of the story.

Also, that is off the point. Are you going to stick with the thread topic? Or are you in a bad mood today?

I too am not a candidate for a CI due to major issues with my ears. Also, if I was a candidate, I do not think I would try and get one. Basically, I would not want to go through the surgery and all it entails to maybe get it working and still not have it sound right. I have gone through a large adjustment getting used to being total eaf and I like where I am now. I just need to work on my ASL.

By the way.................

I PM'd her for a certain reason. :) No more of that bullshit. One on One conversation about my point of view on deafness WITHOUT hearing people trying to obfuscate it.

That is what I am going to do from now on, with every one that starts a thread like this from now on.

You can keep being anal with the newcomers, I will call you out every single time.

I feel that the child should be involved in the decision.

At 1YO, my deaf child was both extremely vocal and responsive to ASL. We took her natural behaviors and proclivities into consideration when making two decisions that changed the direction of her life: first immersing her in an ASL environment and almost a year later, providing the first of 2 CIs. I see this as involving her in those critical decisions.

To us, the ability to communicate is as critical and urgent as the need to eat and be safely housed. We didn't wait for her to reach an age of reason to provide her with food and a home as best we could. We weren't willing to sacrifice 4-5 years of language development, leaving her without the ability to communicate throughout such a critical period of development, until she had the reasoning capabilities to decide whether or not she might like to either learn ASL or learn English. Just as we made decisions for her in providing nourishment and security, we also provided her with the means to communicate using two languages -- in our case we chose ASL for her, and later added spoken English. She now chooses which language to use and when to switch. She also makes her dietary choices clear.

oh good gracious, dear Bott.... the last sentence in your post #75 was uncalled for...

Back