Your Help Would Be Greatly Appreciated!

The cochlear implants is a question that never stops popping up. I did consider getting them until I learned that what residual hearing I have left (I'm profoundly deaf) would be eradicated, that there would be a bald spot on my head, with a magnet, then I would have to in addition wear the external aid, which would interfere with so many of my activities and where would I attach it on my tango dresses? Furthermore, it would be only a slight improvement over my hearing aids. I don't like the idea of increased vulnerability from wearing a CI, I would be worrying all the time about protecting my head from any oncoming assault, I would be worrying when I go swimming which is my favourite sport and quite frankly, I already have enough stress in life without also having to worry about the cons of CIs.

Very well thought-out argument and expression of your feelings about it.

ok well thats true, kids aren't going to give a crap about you not being able to speak... What about CART? They have a special "hearing" assistance where they record the teacher's and the class room lectures/disscussions/etc on something and then its sent to your laptop or email (not sure how that works) and you can read of what they have been talking about in class? maybe that will help you? My good friend had used that in his last year of high school and still is currently using it, he tells me he loves using it! its alot easier than using an interpreter or relying on lipreading.

I can hear now... I dont see what your trying to say? When my implant broke back 4 months ago (i think?), then a cart system would of been great. But now I'm back on track, easy living life.

That's fine. To each their own. She was asking us our opinions and so I gave mine based on my own experiences. If others have benefited from CIs, then good! I am not opposed to people being happy with CIs. I just know it's not for me for a wide variety of reasons.
No sweat Caroline!

His hearing could have gotten worse, so the HAs he put in wouldn't do anything for him. Unless he's tested, you really can't know for sure.

I've got old hearing aids that don't work for me any more; my newer ones work fine. If I went only by the old ones, I'd say "Oh, my hearing is gone." But it's not true; there's enough residual hearing for me to use newer, better aids.

Of course you could be right and all the residual hearing might be gone, but the point is, you never know for sure unless an audi tests it.

I agree. unfortunately, he lost his residual hearing. He has CI for about 5 years. I tried his HA and its working. His HA and my HA are the same kind and age. He is disappointed about it but relying on CI.

Back