You might be a Floridian if....

you might be a Floridian....if ur hair is sun-bleached and not dyed

you might be a Floridian....if ur house gets a ton of sand each week

you might be a Floridian...if ur dog has "sand fleas"

You might be a Floridian if you are watching this storm.

Updated: 01:12 pm

The season's second tropical depression could develop in the Gulf of Mexico this weekend, according to forecasters at the National Hurricane Center in Miami.

The hurricane center's Web site shows a tropical wave in the northwestern Caribbean sea that has a "medium, 30 to 50 percent chance" to develop into a tropical cyclone when it moves into the Gulf of Mexico tonight.

Heavy rains from the system are expected to affect portions of western and central Cuba, the Cayman Islands and the Yucatan Peninsula today and then move northward towards South Florida tomorrow and Monday.

Some long range forecast models show the system has the potential to bring heavy rains and gusty winds to Florida's west coast later in the week. If the system reaches tropical storm force strength, it will be

Forecasters watching tropical wave near Yucatan

You might be a Floridian if you already have a Hurricane kit ready.. and own a generator

Might be a Floridian if you ever had a Fourth of July fire works displayed canceled. Due to a storm.

...if you've learned to hate the FCAT.

I agree.

I just don't like the fact that the schools, and students being punished for it by limiting the funding and failing a student due to a low score.

I agree.

I just don't like the fact that the schools, and students being punished for it by limiting the funding and failing a student due to a low score.

I did google for fcat that i wasn't familiar. now i got it. i learned that florida is the only one who have fcat, not other states. it seems unfair to kids and teachers when they decide not to give more funds if they aren't doing well with the low scores of tests.

I did google for fcat that i wasn't familiar. now i got it. i learned that florida is the only one who have fcat, not other states. it seems unfair to kids and teachers when they decide not to give more funds if they aren't doing well with the low scores of tests.

Florida Curriculum Assessment Testing.

I am sure you have something similar in your state. Perhaps it is called something different. Not sure.

You might be a Floridian if. Your ice cream melts before you can eat it. :(

Other states have assessments..it is all due to NLCB.

You might be a FL-ian if you can tell of the one time it did snow (1989) (appox every 100 years in Jacksonville) and shut down the city of bridges.

(Jacksonville has 7 bridges, used to be that the (old) Fuller Warren was low enough to the river to be sanded and plowed, now all of the bridges are too steep.)

Bridges: (in no particular order)

John T. Alsop, Jr / Main Street - Blue, steel tower drawbridge
Napoleon Bonaparte Broward Bridge / Dames Point - cable stayed suspension, harp arrangement with high powered spots on the cables
Fuller Warren Bridge / Fuller Warren Bridge - compressed prestressed concrete (only one with almost no grade before it was rebuilt, originally draw bridge)
St. Elmo W. Acosta / Acosta Bridge - fixed span compressed prestressed concrete, has blue neon lights and a people mover track (the original bridge was orange painted steel)
Hart Bridge / Isaiah David Hart Bridge - cantilever steel bridge - Green with white lighting
John E. Mathews / Mathews Bridge - steel deck cantilever bridge - Red
----
FEC Strauss Trunnion Bascule Bridge / The Train Bridge, CSX major hub, the trains cross the St. Johns river here, its black 'always open' counter balanced draw bridge - has two tracks.

You might be a FL-ian if you can tell of the one time it did snow (1989) (appox every 100 years in Jacksonville) and shut down the city of bridges.

(Jacksonville has 7 bridges, used to be that the (old) Fuller Warren was low enough to the river to be sanded and plowed, now all of the bridges are too steep.)

Bridges: (in no particular order)

John T. Alsop, Jr / Main Street - Blue, steel tower drawbridge
Napoleon Bonaparte Broward Bridge / Dames Point - cable stayed suspension, harp arrangement with high powered spots on the cables
Fuller Warren Bridge / Fuller Warren Bridge - compressed prestressed concrete (only one with almost no grade before it was rebuilt, originally draw bridge)
St. Elmo W. Acosta / Acosta Bridge - fixed span compressed prestressed concrete, has blue neon lights and a people mover track (the original bridge was orange painted steel)
Hart Bridge / Isaiah David Hart Bridge - cantilever steel bridge - Green with white lighting
John E. Mathews / Mathews Bridge - steel deck cantilever bridge - Red
----
FEC Strauss Trunnion Bascule Bridge / The Train Bridge, CSX major hub, the trains cross the St. Johns river here, its black 'always open' counter balanced draw bridge - has two tracks.

You really know ur bridges here in Jax!....Going to Arlington I use the Matthews.....when I lived at the Beach, I used the Hart, and sometimes the Fuller Warren.....coming into Jax for work.

I wasn't born in Florida but my daughter was. I lived in Key West and Pensacola. My dad graduated from the University of Florida at Gainesville. Yes, many of those things on the list were true for us. :lol:

Some of them are still true for us in South Carolina. :)

I wasn't born in Florida but my daughter was. I lived in Key West and Pensacola. My dad graduated from the University of Florida at Gainesville. Yes, many of those things on the list were true for us. :lol:

Some of them are still true for us in South Carolina. :)

Ahh, I really love South Carolina....much better than North Carolina! Such a friendly state.

You really know ur bridges here in Jax!....Going to Arlington I use the Matthews.....when I lived at the Beach, I used the Hart, and sometimes the Fuller Warren.....coming into Jax for work.

Yeah we had a bridge exhibit at MOSH while I was a teen intern... In fact that's where I met the lady I was trying desperately to terp for.

I wonder if Jax/st aug AD ppl would be interested in hanging out at Friendship Fountain every once and awhile. (when the weather is nicer and I don't feel like a bloated beached whale ... )

-OT- You might be a Native/long time Floridian if you remember when you could set your watch by summer rain, you realize its stating to happen agin now.

Yeah we had a bridge exhibit at MOSH while I was a teen intern... In fact that's where I met the lady I was trying desperately to terp for.

I wonder if Jax/st aug AD ppl would be interested in hanging out at Friendship Fountain every once and awhile. (when the weather is nicer and I don't feel like a bloated beached whale ... )

-OT- You might be a Native/long time Floridian if you remember when you could set your watch by summer rain, you realize its stating to happen agin now.

The rain IS like clockwork here in the summer time. I'd say anywhere around 4 or 5 pm. :)

The rain IS like clockwork here in the summer time. I'd say anywhere around 4 or 5 pm. :)

That's not quite true for here, but it does rain daily. Then, it clears away and we're good to go for the rest of the day unless we gave a tropical storm or something blow our way. If that happens, it rains all. day. long.

That's not quite true for here, but it does rain daily. Then, it clears away and we're good to go for the rest of the day unless we gave a tropical storm or something blow our way. If that happens, it rains all. day. long.

:giggle: No, it used to be exactly at 4:15 pm... back about 15 years ago or so... it rain for 30-45 minutes drp the temp by 20 or so degrees and clear up.

Back