Yahoo Sports: Vick Suspension Near

dreamsfloatjoe

Reaction score
This is a Yahoo Sports News report, not the NFL.

By Jason Cole, Yahoo! Sports August 12, 2007

Two NFL sources said that commissioner Roger Goodell likely will announce this week or next the suspension of Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick for the 2007 season.

"That's the direction it's going and has been from the time this started," one of the sources said this week.

In July, Goodell told Vick not to report to training camp in the aftermath of a federal indictment for his alleged involvement in dogfighting on a property he owned in Virginia. Vick has since been arraigned on the matter and is facing trial in November.

What is unclear is whether Vick will be allowed to return to the Falcons this season if he is acquitted. This offseason, Goodell suspended Tennessee Titans cornerback Adam "Pacman" Jones for the entire season but added stipulations that could allow Jones to return earlier if he clears his record.

Said the other source: "The plan was to make sure it was announced before the season. Given what everybody has seen from what (league) security found and what the feds are telling us, there's really no choice."

From a public relations standpoint, the NFL would like the matter dealt with before the opening week of the season. The feeling is that if the league can resolve the matter now, any further news on Vick will not detract from the buildup to the season.

The NFL has examined the indictment against Vick at length and has conducted a quasi-investigation of its own. The league has not interviewed anyone associated with the case, but it has pored over as many public documents as it could find.

The most careful element of the suspension is how it will be worded. Under the league's new personal conduct policy, there is some belief that Vick could escape punishment because this is the first time he has been charged with a crime.

However, Goodell hinted last week that because Vick was charged with multiple counts, including gambling on dogfights, the league may have a way around that. In an interview with USA Today, Goodell said that while he was disturbed by the dogfighting accusations, the gambling aspect is just as meaningful.

"Listen, we're sickened by the allegations and the predicament Michael put himself in," Goodell said. "But there are a lot of things in the indictment that concern the NFL that may not be of a greater concern from a law enforcement standpoint."

The NFL's gambling policy, which was established long before the personal conduct policy, has resulted in the suspension of players in the past. Both Paul Hornung and Alex Karras were suspended for the entire 1963 season after admitting they placed bets on NFL games.

Players can be banned for life for illegal gambling.

Reference: Yahoo Sports News Report

------------------------------------------------------------------

If, you would like to see pages of some funny ha ha Vick pics please visit here

Funny Vick Pics

Compliments of the visitors to the Atlantic Falcons Message Boards. :laugh2:

I hope that Vick will be banned for good - we need to send a message to the public that this cannot be tolerated.

Now if only they would do this kind of procedure for these who assault or hurt their wives/gfs/dates....I read too many stories about this...:rl:

Who will be the falcons starting QB? Joe Horn prolly isnt pleased hearing this that Vick not gonna be there this season.

Ban Vick from NFL forever, especially if convicted of these allegations. In my opinion, I think Mike Vick is the most Overated player of all time.

Vick's co-defendants head to court for new plea hearings

Vick's co-defendants head to court for new plea hearings

(CNN) -- Two men who initially pleaded not guilty to running an illegal dog fighting ring with NFL quarterback Michael Vick are set to appear in court later this week for new plea hearings, a sign they may be changing their plea.

Purnell Peace, 35, is scheduled to appear in court on Thursday and Quanis Phillips, 28, is scheduled for Friday.

The trial date for all three co-defendants is currently set for November 26 in Richmond, Virginia, where court documents say the dog fighting operation was located.

A fourth defendant, Tony Taylor, 34, struck a plea deal July 30 and agreed to cooperate with the prosecution. His sentencing is scheduled for December 14 and could land him five years in prison, a $250,000 fine and three years of supervised probation.

All four of the men, including Vick, were charged on July 17 with conspiracy to travel in interstate commerce in aid of unlawful activities, and conspiring to sponsor a dog in an animal fighting venture.

They all initially pleaded not guilty.

According to documents filed in court last month, Taylor said he and co-defendants, including Vick, decided to start a dogfighting venture in early 2001 and that Vick paid for the property in Smithfield, Virginia, used for the operations.

The four launched the venture, Bad Newz Kennels, in early 2002, Taylor said.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has barred Vick from playing with his team, the Atlanta Falcons, until the completion of an NFL investigation into the case. The league could suspend him for up to a year.

Vick, 27, is one of pro football's highest-profile and highest-paid players, signing a 10-year, $130 million contract with the Falcons in 2004. He was a standout at Virginia Tech and the first player chosen in the 2001 NFL draft.

Reference: CNN News

------------------------------------------------------------------

I do not think this looks good for Mike Vick. What do y'all think?

Vick contemplating plea deal, report says

MSNBC news service is reporting, not NFL. Vick has until this Friday to make up his mind.

Vick contemplating plea deal, report says

MSNBC News Services
Updated: 9:25 p.m. ET Aug. 13, 2007
With the two remaining co-defendants in Michael Vick’s federal dogfighting case scheduling hearings to enter plea agreements, the controversial Atlanta Falcons quarterback reportedly was weighing his options Monday concerning a plea bargain.

Two of Vick's attorneys, Larry Woodward and Billy Martin, met with federal prosecutor Michael Gill and the investigators on Monday afternoon, ESPN reported Monday. The attorneys planned to speak with the quarterback in the evening to see what direction he wants to go in, ESPN reported.

A source close to the investigation told ESPN that Vick has until Friday to make up his mind whether to accept a plea agreement. Otherwise a superseding indictment will be filed and Vick will face at least two more federal dogfighting charges.

Purnell Peace, 35, of Virginia Beach, is set to appear in federal court in Richmond on Thursday and Quanis Phillips, 28, of Atlanta, on Friday.

Last month, another original co-defendant, Tony Taylor, pleaded guilty to his role in a dogfighting conspiracy he says was financed almost entirely by the Atlanta Falcons quarterback.

Collins R. Spencer III, a spokesman for Vick’s defense team, said the lawyers were surprised by the plea deals. He said although they assumed the two agreed to cooperate with prosecutors, it would not affect the way Vick’s lawyers proceed.

“We’re moving forward with taking the case to trial on Nov. 26,” he said.

Taylor, 34, of Hampton, agreed to fully cooperate with the government in its prosecution of Vick, Peace and Phillips, who are accused of running an interstate dogfighting enterprise known as “Bad Newz Kennels” on Vick’s property in rural Surry County.

Attorneys for Peace and Phillips did not immediately return phone messages seeking comment.

Vick has pleaded not guilty to conspiracy to travel in interstate commerce in aid of unlawful activities and conspiring to sponsor a dog in an animal fighting venture.

Vick, 27, attended several dogfights in Virginia and other states with his partners, according to the statement. Prosecutors claim the fights offered purses as high as $26,000.

The gruesome details outlined in the July 17 indictment have fueled public protests against Vick and prompted the suspension of some of his lucrative endorsement deals. Also, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has barred Vick from the Falcons’ training camp.

Reference: MSNBC News Service Report

I think Vick is toast. He better start thinking about plea bargain.

I agreed he better start tell the truth. There is too many evidences where there is undercover string has record for everything. He is stuck with it.

They are now saying he thinking about plea bargain to try and get less than 1 yr in jail? He better not get off with that little of sentence. He did something so very very wrong. It wouldn't suprise me if he gets off easy because of his "celebrity" status, but Roger Goodell is not going to be so nice I think.

I also wonder, if Vicks do indeed go to jail, will his contract with the Atlanta Falcons be made void? That I am curious about...

I also wonder, if Vicks do indeed go to jail, will his contract with the Atlanta Falcons be made void? That I am curious about...
:wave: Recent example: TO - Dallas Cowboy's, did less than Mike Vick is accused of when TO played for the EAGLES. The Philadelphia EAGLES won all their money back and more including all legal fees, TO lost on every count and lost every appeal concerning money eveything the EAGLES wanted in a court of law against TO. TO lost eveything to what the EAGLES wanted from him, TO did not win nothing, including no contract. He had to give a lot of money from his new contract with the Dallas Cowboy's to pay all the money he owed the Philadlephia Eagles.

I am sorry I cannot find all the references. Though you may register, sign in and go read all the threads in the TO section of the Philadelphia Eagles message boards at PhiladelphiaEagles.com. There is just one big section all about TO's legal problems, the process, and all the court proceedings. The courts records were open to the public. The EAGLES fans posted everything they could fine about the courts, etc in that message board. It's all there for you to read and laugh. EAGLES fans are a fun bunch.

I know that the owner of the Atlanta Falcons has more attorneys, more money and more time to wait out a legal process if the owner desires to go after Mike Vick to get all his money back he can out of MiKe Vice, especially if he is found guilty of the charges than Mike Vick does. He is mad as hello at Mike Vick, take his money and do this. More problems if he is convicted of illegal gambling. Then add the IRS will investigate the illegal gambling monies. Then who knows what else. Remember none of Mike Vicks friends have any money, thats the why they did a deal fast, they cannot afford attornies. Mike Vick gave his friends lots of monies over the years. Now they snitch him out and leave him alone to deal with the mess Mike Vick get himself into. Mike Vick stopped giving his friends the monies.

Lawyers will get richer, thats for sure!

My thoughts...It's always about the money, this is business, big bucks no whammy business and we are talking millions dollars here, so yes, I believe the owner of the Atlantic Falcons and many other people will go after every penny Mike Vick has. In less than 5 years Mike Vick will be on welfare I bet.

Wait to see the greatest show on earth as this circus continues. I love all animals I am not referring to the dog activities. Two mutts, one darn cat, & some fishies own me. I'm talking about the Mike Vick circus.

So yes, based on this recent experience with a NFL player (TO), when Mike Vick is found guilty, his contract will be no good and everyone will go after the monies. I did my best to answer your question, I hope I did answer your question to your satisfaction.

Hope this helps.

PEACE! :rofl:

Questions?

FLY EAGLES Fly!

Oh, he better tells the truth as he pleds guilty, before something will happen to him when he drops the soap in the shower.:giggle: Honestly, I hope they don't let that slide at this time for his case!

Vick Likely To Accept Deal, Sources Say

:wave: QB Waiting To Hear How Guilty Plea Could Impact His Career

Michael Vick is likely to accept a plea agreement to federal dogfighting charges, but is waiting to hear what a guilty plea will do to his NFL career, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported Wednesday.

"It is a very good chance he will plead guilty," a source told the Journal-Constitution. "He definitely wants to play football again. His love is for football, and he would love to play for the Falcons again. But first and foremost is to get back on the field."

Prosecutors have given the Atlanta Falcons quarterback until Friday to accept a plea deal. If he does not, he could face another indictment, which the newspaper says will include racketeering charges.

On Tuesday, ESPN reported that Vick's attorneys are trying to work out a deal that would allow the quarterback to serve less than the year of prison time that the prosecutors have offered.

A source also told ESPN that Vick's attorneys have advised him to accept a deal and forgo a trial if it includes less than a year of prison time.

Two of Vick's co-defendants will accept plea agreements Friday. Purnell Peace and Quanis Phillips both have hearings scheduled for Friday morning.

Another of Vick's original co-defendants, Tony Taylor, pleaded guilty July 30 to his role in a dogfighting conspiracy that he said was financed almost entirely by the quarterback.

Vick pleaded not guilty to dogfighting charges last month, when his trial date was set for Nov. 26.

If convicted, he faces up to five years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000.

A search of Vick's Surry County, Va., property in April turned up dozens of pit bulls, some of them injured, as well as equipment commonly used in dogfighting.

The July 17 indictment said dogs that lost fights or fared poorly in test fights were sometimes executed by hanging, electrocution or other brutal means. The grisly details have fueled public protests against Vick and have cost him some of his lucrative endorsement deals.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has barred Vick from the Falcons' training camp while the league investigates.

Reference: WSBTV Hotlanta Sports News Story

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

6133040706164504081.jpg

Your thoughts? :dunno:

"Telephone Call For Mr Michael Vick!"

:wave: "Telephone Call For Mr Michael Vick!"

"Hello Mike, this is the Warden, we have your room ready for you sir.

Martha, doesn't live here anymore, & that's a good thing." :laugh2:

_martha_cell.jpg

Ban Vick from NFL forever, especially if convicted of these allegations. In my opinion, I think Mike Vick is the most Overated player of all time.

Well, he's made a living outrunning tacklers.....to the tune of a 130 million dollar contract. I don't think he will ever play football for a living again. Serves him right!

Well, he's made a living outrunning tacklers.....to the tune of a 130 million dollar contract. I don't think he will ever play football for a living again. Serves him right!
130 million for Vick? :eek3: Is that just an exaggeration, Tousi?

Back