WTF? Study Shows Swearing Reduces Pain

Yay! I'm declared sane and competent! She asked me if I ever felt guilty afterward for it. I said no, because if I felt guilty I would just swear some more to make me happy again, LOL. :lol:

It's a vicious circle.:lol:

Once I stepped on a wood plank with a nail sticking up from it. I was wearing tennis shoes, so I did a merry old song and dance with decidedly choice words. They crew stopped working and told me it all could have been set to music. :lol:

Conversely, I think swearing also increases joy and pleasure when used in conjunction with an enjoyable activity. ;)

I tend to say ouch, to scream, or to hop around madly (if I dropped something on my foot).
A nice scream does far more than swearing would, in my opinion.

wonder how did that phrase come about.... :hmm:

:lol: I think Reba swears about as much as my parents. I don't swear very often but I'll swear if I knock over something. For example, I said "damn" when I knocked over a pitcher of water all over the floor last week. I haven't sworn since then til now.

Of course, I've been known to say "WTF?" from time to time.

I was in extreme pain at the start of April but I didn't swear. Go figure this one out. :dunno:

When I smash my thumb with a hammer, saying "Oh my goodness, say hello to pain. Isn't it marvelous?" just doesn't cut it.

When I smash my thumb with a hammer, saying "Oh my goodness, say hello to pain. Isn't it marvelous?" just doesn't cut it.

The next time I stub my toe, I'm going to end up saying "Oh my goodness!" now. Thanks for that.

:lol: I think Reba swears about as much as my parents. I don't swear very often but I'll swear if I knock over something. For example, I said "damn" when I knocked over a pitcher of water all over the floor last week. I haven't sworn since then til now.

Of course, I've been known to say "WTF?" from time to time.
I don't know your parents but if they swear 0 times, then yes, I'm the same. Hubby is also a 0 swearer. :)

I don't even use euphemisms for swear words. I think that's cheating.

A single word, uttered loudly and with feeling, accomplishes so much more in a shorter period of time. Much more efficient. And one does not add the stress of trying to monitor oneself to the stress already experienced from the pain.:wave:

I say, "Owwwwwww!" Can't get much more basic than that. :lol:

Back