Wrong word order?

Oic, ok, well your point might have been taken a little more seriously had you not said her writing exemplified this....to me hers certainly doesn't....:lol:

I can't tell... I don't know what is in proper English order or what is not... If it doesn't make sense to me, then I know.

I can't tell... I don't know what is in proper English order or what is not... If it doesn't make sense to me, then I know.

What you just said doesn't make sense to me. If you don't know what is proper....then if it doesn't make sense, then you will know.....seems contradictory to me...oh, well, I don't know where we are going here so I will re-read this whole thread and see what's what, ok?

I mean, I can understand what she is saying... if I don't, then I think it is not proper English. I can pretty much understand what most people are writing about.. and those are the ones I think have decent writing skills. but there are a few that confuse me so bad.

I just don't know what's consider proper English for hearing people. (like I wrote earlier, an internet friend told me I write backward, and I'm just not seeing it)

Last edited:
I think it is funny how some deaf people chasten other deaf about their writing.. and whenever I chime in and tell them I don't have great writing either, they all tell me I write just fine. I get real confused about that because my hearing friends/teachers/writing tests/etc. say otherwise. I think they (deaf people who told me I write fine) write just fine too. *shrugs* ?

to really make myself clear, ASL writing confuses me.

I think it is funny how some deaf people chasten other deaf about their writing.. and whenever I chime in and tell them I don't have great writing either, they all tell me I write just fine. I get real confused about that because my hearing friends/teachers/writing tests/etc. say otherwise. I think they (deaf people who told me I write fine) write just fine too. *shrugs* ?

I find your writing itself to be very clear. I can understand it very well. There are some here who write well but have small problems with punctuation and paragraphs. Still others, who write in ASL grammar, but in a way, that helps me to learn more.

Wirelessly posted

deafgal001 said:

I know why hearing people says you write awkwardly. I am self-aware of this issue with my writings, but I only notice them AFTER they are published.

And I wouldn't use other people as a measurement of my own writing abilities. Why? People in general have low literacy level, only sufficient enough to read the newspaper.

Last edited:
I mean, I can understand what she is saying... if I don't, then I think it is not proper English. I can pretty much understand what most people are writing about.. and those are the ones I think have decent writing skills. but there are a few that confuse me so bad.

I just don't know what's consider proper English for hearing people. (like I wrote earlier, an internet friend told me I write backward, and I'm just not seeing it)

Some of my deaf friends do write "backward" sometimes. Honestly, with you, I don't see it at ALL.

But, that doesn't matter.

Now I am at the computer. I re read this thread and thought about it some more. There was no need for me to bring up that "writing backwards" was a characteristic shown by some deaf people. Let's just assume that it's true (so that I can make the following point). Mentioning it to hearing people probably enforces that stereotype that deaf people = bad writing, so I can see why deaf people denounce that statement.

I have a very objective personality and I see things for what they are and sometimes that can be taken badly by others.

I will say that there is absolutely NO reason why deaf people can't write as well as hearing people.

you do know that I was put in learning disability class for English, right? I was in it since 4th grade until I entered high school (they were going to pull me out in 7th grade, but didn't want me to fail. I had a very mean English 7th grade teacher who didn't want to deal with me) . Then when I took a test for community college, I failed the reading and writing part, and had to take a special English course before I could take English 111 (with alot of tutors!)

I am very acceptable that I will always struggle with writing and it doesn't hurt me one bit if someone told me that I write awkward.

you do know that I was put in learning disability class for English, right? I was in it since 4th grade until I entered high school. Then when I took a test for community college, I failed the reading and writing part, and had to take a special English course before I could take English 111 (with alot of tutors!)

I am very acceptable that I will always struggle with writing and it doesn't hurt me one bit if someone told me that I write awkward.

We let you get away with murder, kiddo. :hug:

what do you mean?

just to let you know, I am not talking about other deaf people here, just myself. I'm no English professor but I do think everyone here are great writers and think they write far better than me. I just grew up differently. We all grew up differently from each other that shape our language.

what do you mean?

just to let you know, I am not talking about other deaf people here, just myself. I'm no English professor but I do think everyone here are great writers and think they write far better than me. I just grew up differently. We all grew up differently from each other that shape our language.

I agree. Just letting you know we are all in the same boat.

Wirelessly posted

Daredevel7 said:

Some of my deaf friends do write "backward" sometimes. Honestly, with you, I don't see it at ALL.

But, that doesn't matter.

Now I am at the computer. I re read this thread and thought about it some more. There was no need for me to bring up that "writing backwards" was a characteristic shown by some deaf people. Let's just assume that it's true (so that I can make the following point). Mentioning it to hearing people probably enforces that stereotype that deaf people = bad writing, so I can see why deaf people denounce that statement.

I have a very objective personality and I see things for what they are and sometimes that can be taken badly by others.

I will say that there is absolutely NO reason why deaf people can't write as well as hearing people.

There is one give-away if the person is deaf or not: visual versus phonetic. If the person spell a word phonetically, it's obvious it's someone who can hear. If the person writes a word that LOOKS similar, but isn't the correct word-- it's visual and the person is probably deaf. It's not true all the time, since there are hearing people out there who are strong visual learners.

It is clear that it is both a language and education issue and it does not pertain to a person's deafness.

If English is your second language, then you will tend to write in the grammar and syntax of your first language until you reach fluency in English. If English is your first language regardless of whether you are hearing or deaf and there are grammatical and/or spelling errors then it pertains to a lax in education, but in saying that, I am not implying that they lack having education. Some university graduates have fallen prey to this.

As some have already mention here, I have noticed for a number of years throughout my children's school years, educators have taken the approach of letting the students write haphazardly - spelling whichever way they want etc, under the guise of 'self-expression'. A good example of this is the misuse of words such as: hear, here; their, there, they're; your, you're. At least 2 generations of school students since I graduated school have been taught under this approach.

The introduction of sms texting and IM messaging has affected this even more.

May I also add this note: I have noticed there is a common mistake among the Hearing that signed languages take on the grammar and syntax of the spoken language in the country. They are often ignorant to the fact that signed languages have their own grammar and syntax, as to a similar mistake in thinking that sign language is universal (the same in every country) For example: ASL, Auslan, BSL etc would use English grammar and syntax; TSL (Thai Sign Language) would use the grammar and syntax of spoken Thai etc; French, German, Chinese etc.

May I also add this note: I have noticed there is a common mistake among the Hearing that signed languages take on the grammar and syntax of the spoken language in the country. They are often ignorant to the fact that signed languages have their own grammar and syntax, as to a similar mistake in thinking that sign language is universal (the same in every country) For example: ASL, Auslan, BSL etc would use English grammar and syntax; TSL (Thai Sign Language) would use the grammar and syntax of spoken Thai etc; French, German, Chinese etc.

Exactly... that's one indication of how can you tell when a person is hearing from their signing. Their TYPE of mistakes is a characteristic of hearing people, because their first language is English (or whatever the spoken language is).

so you're saying it is not possible that ADD contributes to writing problem even to some people?

It doesn't affect grammar but writing used to be torture for me before computers because I had to write everything by hand and I would lose focus on what I was doing and I ended up turning in homework late. The writing part is much easier for me but I still have trouble staying focused on what I'm doing so I tend to miss deadlines.

If a ADD or ADDHD person has trouble with writing, it will be due to slow reading and writing or being able to organize essays or the add person might have problems putting ideas down on paper. They often have to reread stuff because they have a hard time remembering stuff they read. It doesn't affect one's grammar though.

Many people with ADD tend to be brief in their writing and as rule, I tend to be brief in writing.

Exactly... that's one indication of how can you tell when a person is hearing from their signing. Their TYPE of mistakes is a characteristic of hearing people, because their first language is English (or whatever the spoken language is).

It would also apply to some deafies like me who were raised orally and mainstreamed and are learning sign language later in life.

Back